• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hangars

mulceber

Wouldn’t be that difficult. Maybe I’ll take a crack at when I’m looking for something to do. Someone with a 3d printer could whip up a plastic one.
Neat idea. 3d printing sounds like it would be the most efficient way to do it. I'd certainly buy a couple if they were the right shape and such. :)

mulceber

And therein lies the conundrum -- you can bet there won't be any consensus of opinion there. ;)
Not sure about that - everyone seemed to agree that the ones I linked to are the right shape. It's just a question of whether you're willing to splurge on them (especially since the cost of shipping is almost as much as the actual hangers).
Know anyone making illegal guns?;)
Personally, no, but I know it happens.

Dany McDonald

These are what I currently use. I could give them the noodle treatment if need be.

Pa12 what you have there is quite enough to fit the bill. They look like (maybe thinner at the center) specialized leather jackets hanger... Yeah it already exist.

Just look on the interweb, easy to finds...;)

D

Chandler

Not sure about that - everyone seemed to agree that the ones I linked to are the right shape. It's just a question of whether you're willing to splurge on them (especially since the cost of shipping is almost as much as the actual hangers).
So, would you add the pipe insulation after, or as part of the engineering design? ;)

mulceber

Pa12 what you have there is quite enough to fit the bill. They look like (maybe thinner at the center) specialized leather jackets hanger... Yeah it already exist.

Just look on the interweb, easy to finds...;)

D
I retract my previous statement. @Chandler you were right.

So, would you add the pipe insulation after, or as part of the engineering design?

I'd say it should be an addition afterward.

Chandler

I retract my previous statement. @Chandler you were right.
FWIW -- I have no horse in this race. I found wide, stout hangers on sale many years ago and bought a bunch of them. They've been working well for me.

I keep my original AN on one, but I "padded" the hanger with a very old, very small, late '50s G-1. ;)

mulceber

I keep my original AN on one, but I "padded" the hanger with a very old, very small, late '50s G-1.
Yeah, hanging shouldn't be as much a problem for the later Navy jackets. The jackets that are REALLY endangered by hanging are old the ones with cotton thread that's liable to break - A-2s and, on the Navy side, the M-422A.

Dany McDonald

For museums and core jacket enthusiast like us...;) Close to Jan do it yourself hangers, except they are probably PH neutral or safe.

D

B-Man2

B-Man2

Chandler

Yeah, hanging shouldn't be as much a problem for the later Navy jackets. The jackets that are REALLY endangered by hanging are old the ones with cotton thread that's liable to break - A-2s and, on the Navy side, the M-422A.
You don't think the AN is cotton thread? I sure do -- it's letting go at just about every seam. ;)

It's the later G-1 that's UNDER the AN as padding. ;)

B-Man2

B-Man2

PA
This is not addressed to you but just as a general point of information.
Not trying to be snotty about it, but there’s a wealth of information in the archives of this forum. All of which is there for our use. I always like going back about 10 years and re reading some of the posts from that period . There really is some interesting info contained there.

mulceber

You don't think the AN is cotton thread? I sure do -- it's letting go at just about every seam. ;)

It's the later G-1 that's UNDER the AN as padding. ;)
For the Better Fighting Garment thread, we found that the Navy started using nylon for the AN-series. That said, thread usage was messy in general, so it's possible that some of them persisted with cotton for a while.

Pa12

PA
This is not addressed to you but just as a general point of information.
Not trying to be snotty about it, but there’s a wealth of information in the archives of this forum. All of which is there for our use. I always like going back about 10 years and re reading some of the posts from that period . There really is some interesting info contained there.
Thanks guys. Sorry for opening up an old can of worms. I’ve found some hangers in the closet that should work after I noodlize them. I must say, in my 63 years I’ve never given a coat hanger a second look or a single thought. But having browsed them I’m surprised how many have what I would call very pronounced sloped shoulders. At least compared to everything I have. And me. Wonder why that is.?

mulceber

Thanks guys. Sorry for opening up an old can of worms. I’ve found some hangers in the closet that should work after I noodlize them. I must say, in my 63 years I’ve never given a coat hanger a second look or a single thought. But having browsed them I’m surprised how many have what I would call very pronounced sloped shoulders. At least compared to everything I have. And me. Wonder why that is.?
Yeah, it's really strange, you'd think that coat hangers would have been designed, you know, somewhat close to the shape of human shoulders. But it's actually very rare. For some reason, the sloped design seems to work well for a suit jacket or a blazer, but distorts leather.