• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hangars

Pa12

I’ve heard it mentioned many times on the forum, not to hangar your leather jackets. I was wondering why and what are the detrimental effects of doing so.

Dany McDonald

My understanding goes like this, undue stress-strain to parts of the garment (shoulder-sleeve area) at the edge of the hanger, where the sleeve is unsupported and is pulled down by gravity over a long period of time.
Also depending on the shape and volume of the hanger, the jacket is deformed by excessive bad points of contact, like a small hanger, wire, thin...
It can also misshape unwanted folds and again over long period of times.

Hope I helped you in my answer.

Dany

mulceber

ok. I do use decent fat wooden hangars
Probably worth buying a couple pool noodles or pipe insulation and taping them around the arms of the hanger, just to help distribute the weight better.
569E3EFB-8BD1-4833-9F95-9889CBD8DC87_1_105_c.jpeg

Dany McDonald

I too use kinda of fat hangers , but tend to wear pretty much all of my "hanger" jackets on a regular base. So I rotate and move the jackets a lot...

D

Dany McDonald

Probably worth buying a couple pool noodles or pipe insulation and taping them around the arms of the hanger, just to help distribute the weight better.

Good idea, but that will not help with where the sleeve is unsupported and pulled down by gravity at the end... just saying form personal observation.

D

Pa12

Ok. I don’t have any originals. I have 3 gw’s that I rotate through regularly. I’m wondering if I hangar them while I’m rotating through them and fold them up on the shelf through the summer months when it’s too hot to wear them. Basically june to September they get zero wear.

taiAtari

Practically speaking probably what Mulceber is showing, fairly straight and broad hanger with some extra padding. The best would probably be on a full torso with arms so the weight is optimally distributed, in a controlled stable climate without light, maybe even suspended horizontally and periodically rotated. But that hardly seems practical :p.

atlasfields

I've used the wide wooden one pa12 posted. Was looking at these. Looks wide enough to distribute the weight on something like an Irvin. If I had room, I'd just lay it flat in the summer months.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-18 114109.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-18 114109.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 26

Chandler

So, why has no entrepreneurial VLJ soul attempted to design and manufacture the perfect hanger for proper repro upkeep?

It's beyond my engineering acumen, but I have to imagine someone in the group might have the right skills.

Pa12

So, why has no entrepreneurial VLJ soul attempted to design and manufacture the perfect hanger for proper repro upkeep?

It's beyond my engineering acumen, but I have to imagine someone in the group might have the right skills.
Wouldn’t be that difficult. Maybe I’ll take a crack at when I’m looking for something to do. Someone with a 3d printer could whip up a plastic one.