• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear (Dubow ) Tanker Jacket

ausreenactor

The collar looks like an ATF tanker...I just sold a brand new BR 44 and that jacket collar had the look of the original in JCs side by sides. I have a two year old ATF Tanker, worn periodically, I took out field in June and rolled it up in the pack and wore it nightly and the collar still looks rigid like the left pic in the side by side... I understand your points regading the BR jackets and I am certain that there will be some points picked up on JCs prototype. It will be around a year before we see one reviewed and I eagerly await the pics...and the price!!

Not sure it it just me, but the fold on the front edge looks thicker? And the repro zipper tape appears to run further up the collar(not the actual zipper) than the BR and WWII Impressions versions(which does not have the loop on the zipper end). Perhaps this makes that leading edge stiffer by default. I am certain the fabric will give in time, but if held rigid by the stitching and tape, you will like Count Tankular for a while...

Couchy

dmar836

Also consider the fabric availability. If you guys have ever tried to source some of the weaves used during the war, it can be near impossible. HBT is one such example - lots of incorrect weaves but few are done right. I made a few jump jackets back before there were tons of makers. The twill on the original I patterned was just downright different than any weave or weight I could find. It had almost a cold feel to it. Even 100% cotton twills with the same weight were different somehow.
I agree about age and wear influencing the droop of wool knit. The elements and just time can effect the way a textile feels. Also, feel your original A-2 cuffs. Are they all identical in weight and density? Some of mine are thick and some are thin.
Lots of things to consider. Sadly, I think certain repros become the "standard" rather than the originals as they might have been when new.
All adds to the hobby!
Dave

Chandler

SuinBruin said:
Not to toss cold water on your desire to own a Good Wear tanker (I know I'd like one), but I seriously doubt a handmade jacket by JC is going to be priced similarly to jackets mass-produced in Asia.

I suppose you could be working shipments at WW2 Impressions, dunno -- and I certainly understand the mass-production aspect, but maybe you ought to bring up false advertising charges against Juan if you have some inside info?

From the WW2 Imp site:
Our uniforms and equipment are proudly made in the USA by our own staff! We are proud to make that claim and firmly back our production staff as among the finest of producers. U.S. Labor is more expensive because it produces higher quality under a higher standard of conditions. We are committed to maintaining the highest quality merchandise that all of our customers require. The only way we can do this is to keep watch over our own production crew. This cannot be accomplished when the production facility is across the border or across the ocean, and we enjoy a very loyal customer base. We can only thank you for your patronage and the success that we have seen. Thank you for buying American made!

Chandler

SuinBruin

I stand corrected WRT WWII Impressions, but ATF sources most of their stuff from China. In any case, economies of scale etc. pretty much ensure that a GW jacket is going to cost more than one by WWII Imp.

ausreenactor

SuinBruin said:
I stand corrected WRT WWII Impressions, but ATF sources most of their stuff from China. In any case, economies of scale etc. pretty much ensure that a GW jacket is going to cost more than one by WWII Imp.

ATF are starting to swing production back to the US with the drop in the USD. And on the second point...HELL YEAH!!

veli1

Cobblers161 said:
veli1 said:
Though GW Tanker looks really good i seriously doubt that the price will be below 300 $.

I think It will be around 450 $, Chapman knows that out there is a potential market for WW2 tanker jacket.

BR Tanker is now around 30 450 yen (390 $), without patches etc.I respect GW but

BR Tanker i think is much more stylish than GW.

Not quite sure what you're saying here but it's not about pricing within a market it's pricing according to materials and construction. John will price accordingly and fairly and it'll be a damn site more accurate than a BR.

Cobblers,

I do not want to gossip about Chapman's job but to me BR Tankers are much more stylish,

based on photos on Japan web sites (Rakuten,BR etc.) as well on the forums (photos and reviews..)

asiamiles

veli1 said:
Cobblers161 said:
John will price accordingly and fairly and it'll be a damn site more accurate than a BR.
I do not want to gossip about Chapman's job but to me BR Tankers are much more stylish,
I don't really understand either statement. The first is simply based on the fact that the person has more trust in John than Toyo Enterprise; fair enough. The second, is this is as much due to the wearer, the photography or what? I'm curious as to what way are they "more stylish". Care to elaborate?

I must admit I was unaware that there might be variations between Tankers as with A-2's due to the differing original makers - and actually I still don't know if that is the case - but the fact that the GW is a repro of a Dubow would suggest this might be the case. Consequently John may be reproducing a slightly different jacket to Buzz.

asiamiles

ausreenactor said:
The collar looks like an ATF tanker...I just sold a brand new BR 44 and that jacket collar had the look of the original in JCs side by sides.
But that jacket is nearly 70 years old. Would it have been like then when new? I find the knits on BR Tankers to be too loose, but I have no idea if that's what originals were like when issued. They Toys McCoy Tanker I had had tighter knits and I preferred it, but is it truer to an original? I don't know.

asiamiles

Cobblers161 said:
I had a N-1 which was a solid jacket but in terms of colour was way different to my original.
But you would expect a new repro to be different to an original which surely would have faded or changed over the years. Also we might question whether all originals were exactly the same colour, whether down to dyes, different manufacturers, date etc. etc.

CBI

I'll let you guys know how cool this jacket is in a week or so as I purchased it from John today (Sunday). I think its an incredibly convincing looking Tanker and the detail photos John sent me look superb. Sounds like he copied the original pictured to a "t" - he worked very hard on this. The materials used sound first rate. John's track record needs no second guessing. If he decides to produce them, he will let everyone know the actual selling price.

This jacket looks spot on and I plan on wearing the hell out of it. This is John's first or second Tanker and its pretty amazing work especially considering its a first or second stab. I think his first.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Cobblers161 said:
I had a N-1 which was a solid jacket but in terms of colour was way different to my original.
But you would expect a new repro to be different to an original which surely would have faded or changed over the years. Also we might question whether all originals were exactly the same colour, whether down to dyes, different manufacturers, date etc. etc.

I was thinking the same thing, with regard to the B-10 ...

• I had a N-1 which was a solid jacket but in terms of colour was way different to my original, also had the Buzz B-10 and that was way out.

... and which Buzz B-10 are we talking about? I have two, which differ from each other, in colour, and materials, but Buzz have produced many more.

ausreenactor

asiamiles said:
ausreenactor said:
The collar looks like an ATF tanker...I just sold a brand new BR 44 and that jacket collar had the look of the original in JCs side by sides.
But that jacket is nearly 70 years old. Would it have been like then when new? I find the knits on BR Tankers to be too loose, but I have no idea if that's what originals were like when issued. They Toys McCoy Tanker I had had tighter knits and I preferred it, but is it truer to an original? I don't know.

Tanker zipper tapes generally run about 5mm beyond the zipper. The close up on the JC Tanker has it nearly three times that long stitched into the fold. The bulkier knit with the tape inadvertantly reinforcing it is not about to fold over in a hurry..

veli1

Hello guys,

For all "tanker" buyers here's the question:

How do you clean your winter combat jacket's? With mild soap and water or only with water?Dry cleaning etc..

For a price of around 390 bucks (Buzz Rickson's) i think it is necessary to guard this cotton jacket against all "dirt" ;)

Cheers.

ausreenactor

They're nearly $400 a pop new. I do not wear em!! I buy low and sell high! They should be on the commodity exchange.

If I can pick them up for the price of the zipper in Japan, then it's worth it. I would never lash out for one at retail..

Couchy

CBI

I'll take some pics (might take a few days) but the GW jacket pictured above is now owned by me and GEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ, its really impressive. John's second cloth jacket ever made and the quality is outstanding, as high as his best leather work. The jacket is the correct heavy weight for a Tanker (Tanker's are really more of a Winter jacket that one might think). Quality materials - comfortable fit, warm, great details. In speaking with John, he said he simply took an original and copied it and made NO changes or modifications, concessions at all which is exactly what I like. He wanted to make a clone first and foremost and see how it worked out. He needs to secure a regular source for all of the materials and its a lot of work with cloth with less profit per jacket for him than the leather items. So, who knows if he will produce these, maybe just special orders someday. I guess more from John about that in the coming months.

Thanks John :D

veli1

CBI said:
He needs to secure a regular source for all of the materials and its a lot of work with cloth with less profit per jacket for him than the leather items. So, who knows if he will produce these, maybe just special orders someday. I guess more from John about that in the coming months.

Thanks John :D

Maybe he could hire some new employees and shorten the delivery time... :D

I hope pics will pop up soon...

veli1

ausreenactor said:
They're nearly $400 a pop new. I do not wear em!! I buy low and sell high! They should be on the commodity exchange.

If I can pick them up for the price of the zipper in Japan, then it's worth it. I would never lash out for one at retail..

Couchy

Hey Couchy,

Got another tanker for sale??

I might be interested in sz 44. ;)

Your last sale was around 250 bucks, i'm interested if you got one...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9634&p=87409#p87409

CBI

I believe he intends to hire administrative help so he can focus solely on hands-on making jackets - :D

JOHNO

When I was a kid in the 70s there was a small Army Surplus Store around the corner from my Moms flower shop and I spent a lot of time there. "Frenchy" had the big produce boxes, the kind you see filled with watermelons or canteloupes, full of WWII and Korean War era US surplus items in the back of the store and I would spend hours going through the boxes looking for things that fit. I don't know how many Tanker jackets and Field jackets I bought for 3.00-4.00 apiece, and would wear them out on camping trips. Those jackets were tough, when they got really dirty we'd throw them in the washing machine and hit it again.