• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear (Dubow ) Tanker Jacket

ace1967

Nice......
It's not sure yet if they are going in production.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Tanker_Jacket/About.jpg

Tanker_Jacket.jpg

johnwayne

Wow does look nice - just hope JC can better the BR price and get waiting time down from what an A2 takes and if so it's another winner. Are the pockets a tad too high? Far be it form me to criticise John's work - I do love his work!!
cheers
Wayne

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
johnwayne said:
... Are the pockets a tad too high?

They do look high, but John wouldn't make a simple mistake like that, and here's the evidence in one of the comparison photos. It's not often you see him out of leather .... the tanker suits him.

comparison1.jpg

colekwok

OMG!!!

I have been looking for for some quality tanker jackets for some time already.............

Holy!!!

Flyderf

I ordered mine last year, close to production in June.................waiting is the hardest part.

Chandler

johnwayne said:
just hope JC can better the BR price

I've been toying with replacing my WW2 Impressions tanker, I'd love to buy a jacket from John if the price was in line with either Impressions or ATF.

Chandler

SuinBruin

Chandler said:
johnwayne said:
just hope JC can better the BR price

I've been toying with replacing my WW2 Impressions tanker, I'd love to buy a jacket from John if the price was in line with either Impressions or ATF.

Chandler
Not to toss cold water on your desire to own a Good Wear tanker (I know I'd like one), but I seriously doubt a handmade jacket by JC is going to be priced similarly to jackets mass-produced in Asia.

Dr H

Just been chatting with JC. It wouldn't be, if handmade, but looks v competitive compared with BR...

veli1

Though GW Tanker looks really good i seriously doubt that the price will be below 300 $.

I think It will be around 450 $, Chapman knows that out there is a potential market for WW2 tanker jacket.

BR Tanker is now around 30 450 yen (390 $), without patches etc.I respect GW but

BR Tanker i think is much more stylish than GW.

dmar836

With very limited experience I must say that, although HH and leather in general is more difficult to work with than cloth, the techniques to make such a lined fabric jacket are similar to the A-2's. The time and effort are also similar as well as the fixed costs and those of the fittings. I'd say the pockets of a tanker are more complicated. Since JC has obviously conquered the struggles of working with leather, the sale of tanker jackets, unless similarly priced, would likely not be a cost effective venture. Add to this the time involved in switching over and adjusting machines and ...
IMO, the only constructor difference here is the cost of HH vs. the correct fabric(also not cheap).
For a practical example, would or should it cost less in labor to replace a zip with a modern YKK than it would/should with a period triple marked Talon? Cloth or leather, the labor is similar.
JMO,
Dave

Cobblers161

veli1 said:
Though GW Tanker looks really good i seriously doubt that the price will be below 300 $.

I think It will be around 450 $, Chapman knows that out there is a potential market for WW2 tanker jacket.

BR Tanker is now around 30 450 yen (390 $), without patches etc.I respect GW but

Not quite sure what you're saying here but it's not about pricing within a market it's pricing according to materials and construction. John will price accordingly and fairly and it'll be a damn site more accurate than a BR.

Dr H

My point, but more eloquently - if you want accuracy, but don't want an original...

ausreenactor

Cobblers161 said:
veli1 said:

Not quite sure what you're saying here but it's not about pricing within a market it's pricing according to materials and construction. John will price accordingly and fairly and it'll be a damn site more accurate than a BR.

Big call....BR have a pretty highly regarded product. Amongst the re-enactors, a virtual holy grail. They rate the WWII Impressions version highly too. All comes down to price. BR also use a broad range of NOS zippers in the price.

At first glance, JC's collar knit appears too stiff/rigid, perhaps too much synthetic in the mix..?? I have three BR Tankers here. NOS Crown, bell Conmar and a Talon. I am sure if the BR Tanker label was bespoke one for an individual maker it would be without equal, at any price. And if you have the cash you can buy a BR tomorrow...

Couchy

Cobblers161

I hear you Couchy, I've had the BR tanker twice now but just not there. Pocket height? I had a N-1 which was a solid jacket but in terms of colour was way different to my original, also had the Buzz B-10 and that was way out.

To be fair if its a brand spanking jacket you should expect the collar to be a wee bit stiff/rigid. Maybe wear them in a little like the originals.