• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Cheap MA-1?

les_garten

Peter Graham said:
Originals from the late 60's onwards can be bought really cheaply.

Everytime I've seen one in Good Cond, it's been like $300 or more. The Repro's are like $100-130

Cobblers161

Keep 'em peeled on ebay, I picked up an original large 70's Alpha for $60 last year, another prior to that even cheaper.
Perseverance and patience.

les_garten

Cobblers161 said:
Keep 'em peeled on ebay, I picked up an original large 70's Alpha for $60 last year, another prior to that even cheaper.
Perseverance and patience.

I'll keep that in mind, thanx!

Last time I looked, Jacket prices in General were kinda high. Maybe they're down a little now.

Cobblers161

They do seem to fluctuate. I'm constantly on the lookout for USN A-2 Deck Jackets which a couple of years ago were next to nothing, this year they seem to have rocketed but fortunately a poor description or a bad photo means the odd one slips through the net.

Let me know your MA-1 size and I'll keep a lookout.

colekwok

I think the reason for the recent price hike is that in Asia, military jackets seem to be in fashion this winter. I was in Hong Kong last month and saw plenty of N-1\2, MA-1/L-2s. They are either originals or high quality repros. It is a matter of demand and supply.

MikeyB-17

I just had a brief trawl of Ebay and noticed a couple of 'Vietnam era' MA-1's (which is actually a good thing to look for) in the $50-$150 range, couple of Skylines (excellent jackets) and Alphas (I had a '65 Alpha MA-1 which was also excellent). One bloke is selling one for $500, but I reckon a 60's MA-1 is not out of reach-you want the wool-lined ones, not the ones with polyester filling-it's on the label. I'd still be looking for one of these rather than any repro.

les_garten

MikeyB-17 said:
I just had a brief trawl of Ebay and noticed a couple of 'Vietnam era' MA-1's (which is actually a good thing to look for) in the $50-$150 range, couple of Skylines (excellent jackets) and Alphas (I had a '65 Alpha MA-1 which was also excellent). One bloke is selling one for $500, but I reckon a 60's MA-1 is not out of reach-you want the wool-lined ones, not the ones with polyester filling-it's on the label. I'd still be looking for one of these rather than any repro.

Thanx!

How do you nail down the dates?

I'm an XL, so that narrows it down some.

MikeyB-17

les_garten said:

Also on the white label, in the pocket-either in the DSA number, eg. DSA 100-69-C-2767, or some actually say the date eg. 28 May 1962. Admittedly an XL will be harder to come by-mind you, I usually wear a large, and my '65 Alpha was a medium and fitted fine, so keep an eye on the measurements.

les_garten

MikeyB-17 said:
les_garten said:

Also on the white label, in the pocket-either in the DSA number, eg. DSA 100-69-C-2767, or some actually say the date eg. 28 May 1962. Admittedly an XL will be harder to come by-mind you, I usually wear a large, and my '65 Alpha was a medium and fitted fine, so keep an eye on the measurements.

As we say in South Florida, or all the US for that matter, Garcia's Amigo!

KELORGO

Les Garten,

There's a size XL green MA-1 on the Gibson Barnes website right now. It's on their clearance page under cloth jackets. This is their model that's made in the US. It usually lists for $128, but it's on sale at $59. The only thing is, it doesn't have an orange lining. GB also sells a green MA-1 with an orange lining, but that one is imported.

KELORGO

les_garten

KELORGO said:
Les Garten,

There's a size XL green MA-1 on the Gibson Barnes website right now. It's on their clearance page under cloth jackets. This is their model that's made in the US. It usually lists for $128, but it's on sale at $59. The only thing is, it doesn't have an orange lining. GB also sells a green MA-1 with an orange lining, but that one is imported.

KELORGO

Thanx! Do you know anything about the lining/insulation of that Jacket and the quality?

KELORGO

When I spoke with Gibson Barnes last week the representative was very helpful. He told me that the quality of the MA-1 that GB makes in the US is better than the green/orange one that they import. The inter lining of the one that lists for $128 is poly fiber. This is the one they have on their sale page for $58. For comparison, it is selling for less than an Alpha MA-1, and is made in the USA. GB also makes their MA-1 with a Thinsulate lining, which is apparently a little warmer than the poly fiber one and sells for $148. The man at GB said that their jackets tend to run true to size, so an XL should fit like a normal XL. I wear an XL in all of my jackets, but have to go up to a 2XL in the current production Alpha MA-1s, should you decide to by an Alpha. For the money, I'd jump on the GB jacket on their sale page. If you really want an MA-1 with an orange lining at a cheap price, I'd go with an Alpha. I've had a black one (made in China) for over two years, and it has held up really well. The only issue is that the knits (cuffs and waist) are beginning to stretch out a bit. If you do go the Alpha route, make sure to go up one size to an XL.

KELORGO

dmar836

The military issue jackets do tend to run one size large IMO. I gave one away that was too large for me. Found it for $5 or $8 at a Goodwill store and I doubt it had ever been worn. It may have been a civi but I do remember an 80s date on it. One pocket flap started to come unstitched with very little wear. It was plenty warm with the non-wool liner.

KELORGO

Sorry, meant to say make sure you go up one size to a 2XL if you buy one of the imported Alpha MA-1s in my post above.

KELORGO

Ian C

Thanks for the tip,

Does the thinsulate lined model feel a bit weightier like the wool lined versions?

Thanks,

Ian