• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goat A-2s

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Yeah Swoose, once they're too old for riding and pulling carts and if they don't have an acting job (skippy) there's not a lot left for them except to become workboots.

.... and dinner for tourists.

MikeyB-17

Not the most impeccable of sources I know, but 'Hell Bent For Leather' says that horsehide ranks fifth on the 'durability scale', and goatskin second. Top is kangaroo. Exactly what scale they're referring to I don't know. I think there's a reason why the Navy chose goat over horse. Goat can be thinner and more comfortable to wear, whilst having a higher level of toughness and abrasion resistance.

johnnyjohnny

your 'ReD' goatskin

I had a Spiewak a while back that seemed fine when I bought it. A little flaking across the back and upper arms but every time I wore it, it started to disintigrate like Dracula with a stake through his heart !

you FooooooL! you're supposed to condition those things with bLood!

Burnsie

My Old Man's G-1 was issued to him in June of '59 and it still looks and feels about new. He wore the heck out of it too - gave me the impression that goat almost DIDN'T wear compared to horse.

A

Anonymous

Tranquility Base said:
Goat is a substitute and inferior to horse. Thumbs down.

Them thar's fightin' words sonny boy !!! ;) Personally i'll take goat over horse for durability and wearability from the box to the grave.

J_H

Who

rotenhahn said:
Tranquility Base said:
Goat is a substitute and inferior to horse. Thumbs down.
Goat's stronger and more durable according to some scale somewhere my man! There is no more beautiful A-2 than the goat Roughwear 18091...IMO...

I've owned most types of hide. Kangaroo is increadibly dense, heavy and strong even when cut thin. I have a utility coat in 'roo from 1996 that I wear every year in winter and it still hasn't worn in - people ask if it's new. But for general purpose wear (and for an A2) I would say goat is best. It is soft, light, abrasion resistant and bloody tough and it develops wonderful grain and texture. It hardly needs breaking in compared to HH. Just my opinion.

srivats

I am getting a doniger made by John in goatskin ... I was apprehensive of the goatskin until I saw John's samples ... very pebbly, wonderful color, it is pliable as well as very tough (doesn't make sense, right? Just see a sample!). It was a no brainer (for me) choosing goat afterseeing the all the samples in person ... there is a reason why the leathers are called goatskin and horsehide ... you can wear a goat A2 and it will fit like a skin :D

dadgad

I read it once but I can't remember where that horsehide structure is way more resistant to the degeneration due to the lack of oxygen at altitude.

I don't know if it could be true or false though.

Andrew

Swoose I bought my skins from a tannery here. John was going to make one up using it but I decided to go with tradition, plus in sunlight this seal has a red tint to it. It would probably also make a kickass A-1. If you want to see what it's like i'll send you a sample (pm me your address), but I think that the end price wouldn't be cheap- it'd take 4-5 skins @ about $60 each to make a jacket.

jacketimp

Leadsky said:
Swoose I bought my skins from a tannery here. John was going to make one up using it but I decided to go with tradition, plus in sunlight this seal has a red tint to it. It would probably also make a kickass A-1. If you want to see what it's like i'll send you a sample (pm me your address), but I think that the end price wouldn't be cheap- it'd take 4-5 skins @ about $60 each to make a jacket.

can they age the hide too? what colours are available?

five skins @$60(US or aussie dolah) = $300. how much for JC's tailoring? and his maetrials?

Andrew

jacketimp said:
can they age the hide too? what colours are available?

1. Nope- no need to- it's a type of oil pull.
2. Two colours- "whiskey"/ "brandy"
RIMG0295-1.jpg

This is the whiskey beside an original Bancroft Flighter in the shade to give an idea.
P5220005-1.jpg

Andrew

I paid for what I thought was Airmail (at least it cost more than airmail from the States) but it turns out he sent it surface :?

back to Goat....

jacketimp

Leadsky said:
I paid for what I thought was Airmail (at least it cost more than airmail from the States) but it turns out he sent it surface :?

back to Goat....

no shite.........must be a nervy jock-sweating experience........still it must be a relief to get it ultimately!

catinhat95

I think in choosing between horsehide or goatskin its all a mater of personal taste and what you are looking for. From all the research I've done I think it's safe to say that goatskin will look new for a much longer time than horsehide. This is either a good thing or a very bad thing. Pesonally I like a hide that will show its age and develope creases and fading of color fairly quickly. There are always exceptions but a veg. tanned horsehide jacket will show wear and eventually devolope that much sought after patina with use where as a comparably tanned goatskin will look new much longer and may even outlast you before it starts to even show signs of wear.

jacketimp

with originals ageing and patina comes with the territory........and you don't have to worry will it age/patina within a time frame.............waht you see is waht you get........goat or hh

Roughwear

Even decent, wearable originals in a size 42 and 44 are becoming scarcer these days. You hardly ever see size 48-52 original A2s coming up for sale.