• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goat A-2s

Clark J

You guys that have repo and vintage goat A-2s how does goat break in and wear??I've owned 2 WW2 era goat navy jackets and aside from some color change in the hide they didn't show any real wear such as you get in horsehide.Any thoughts/experience?

Chris217

I had a Willis and Geiger M-442 that was a size 46. The knits, collar, and lining were in good shape, but you could tell the jacket had been worn often. The goatskin however, showed hardly and signs of wear.

Peter Graham

I would be very dubious about buying another original goatskin A-2. I had a Spiewak a while back that seemed fine when I bought it. A little flaking across the back and upper arms but every time I wore it, it started to disintigrate like Dracula with a stake through his heart ! I sold it and lost a lot of money. Saying that, my AN-J-3A is as solid as a rock.

CSG

Boy Peter, that's sure the opposite of my understanding and experience. My only A2 is a 20 year old Protech "Col. Jim Goodson" which is seal goat and has been worn a lot over the years. The lining had to be restitched and the knits have pilled a bit but the leather looks new (although more creased than when I first bought it). It's the reason I'm hesitant to get another goat A2.

I also had an original Korean War era G1 that wore the same way, collar, knits, and lining showed wear but the the goatskin never seemed to wear.

A

Anonymous

Goat is a substitute and inferior to horse. Thumbs down.

CBI

My original G-1 goats are excellent. Circa 1960, both show great wear but still pretty tough. A-2’s in goat, hated them, russet goat, yuck, awful, ugleeeeeeee, never seen a russet goat jacket (photo or in the flesh) that I liked, never, ever, etc., etc. A forum member was selling a GW in goat that seemed to be a darker russet. The price was right, I bought it and LOVE it. I even have a second GW (Dubow) from John, also russet goat – outstanding. Has a great vintage look without faux distressing. Completely recommend it. If you go wiht goat, a GW would be my vote.

greyhound52

My original Donigers and RW 18091 are in great shape considering their age. I have two GS jackets from GW my Bronco and Doniger. Fantastic the Doniger is showing great wear just like the original Doniger I have (of which it is a clone). The Navy jackets I have ANJ-3A from Burjac and the two Brier of Amsterdams are fantastic jackets which are in great shape and have worn very well with age.

Jason

CSG said:
... which is seal goat and has been worn a lot over the years. The lining had to be restitched and the knits have pilled a bit but the leather looks new (although more creased than when I first bought it). It's the reason I'm hesitant to get another goat A2.

Doesn't that speak well for the goatskin then? If the goatskin leather is wearing fine, then I'd have thought its a recommendation for goat. All you need to do is match it with a hard wearing lining & knits. The trick is to find both together in the one jacket.

I've not had an original goatskin A-2 (I passed up the opportunity to get a goatskin Perry... why oh why did I do that??) but the repro A-2 that I've had from RMCNZ has been great - as it's broken in, the goatskin has become more pliable and soft, and has developed natural wrinkles and creases as part of the break in process.
Should I mention the Saddlery A-2 here... nah, perhaps not, though it's proven to be a tough and hard wearing jacket in its own right.

Likewise, the early 1960s G-1s that I have are both goatskin and both wearing very well - no problems with flaking or bad burnishing.

Yeah, I have to come to the conclusion that I'm either not hard enough on my jackets to show up any shortcomings with goatskin, and I'm more than happy with the ones I have... so much so that if I do get another A-2, it'll be a GoodWear in goat. Vive la goat!

Grant

In my experience goatskin has stood the test of time far better than horsehide. I've seen way more goatskin A-2s in better condition with less dryness and cracking than horsehide. Also, the leather used for WWII USN jackets across the board are superior to the horsehide used for A-2s. Just my observation.

CSG

Doesn't that speak well for the goatskin then? If the goatskin leather is wearing fine, then I'd have thought its a recommendation for goat.

The fact the goat wears so well is a two edged sword. My point was that my 20 year old A2 still looked mostly new whereas I would have preferred to see a more aged look to it. My next A2 will be horsehide or one of GW's cowhide jackets. I'd like to own one that will wear out along with me...

Grant

Not sure what you mean by aged look, but my original goatskin Spiewak and Dubow have seen quite a bit of service and both really look the part. Guess the Spiewak looks that way because the original owner said he survived 41 combat missions wearing the jacket. The goatskin is as strong as ever but definitely looks like it's been through alot.

269sqnhudson

I love goatskin for these very qualities. I sent an Aero smooth HH A-2 back after a week because all the colour was coming off and my first ELC HH looked 60 years old after a year. I prefer something a little tougher and more resilient...AND it's authentic!

A

Anonymous

Tranquility Base said:
Goat is a substitute and inferior to horse. Thumbs down.
Goat's stronger and more durable according to some scale somewhere my man! There is no more beautiful A-2 than the goat Roughwear 18091...IMO...

TankBuster

Grant said:
In my experience goatskin has stood the test of time far better than horsehide. I've seen way more goatskin A-2s in better condition with less dryness and cracking than horsehide. Also, the leather used for WWII USN jackets across the board are superior to the horsehide used for A-2s. Just my observation.

I couldn't agree more! Most of the real minty original A-2's I have seen have
been Goatskin. Even the combat worn goat jackets I've had over the years
seem to show less leather wear than their horsehide counterparts.

Andrew

swoose774 said:
I heard Kangaroo is the stongest hide somewhere, oh yea US wings web site of all places. Where's all the ausies. What is the deal with roo hide?

Horsie is nice, but goats stronger and more water resistant.

Yeah Swoose, once they're too old for riding and pulling carts and if they don't have an acting job (skippy) there's not a lot left for them except to become workboots.

Here's the technical explanation for the hide construction.
http://www.packerleather.com/kangaroo-leather.html

This is a sample I was tossing up using. Has interesting grain, creases up immediately and no shine. There are a couple of documented Theatre made A-2's but there's no proof it was actually used on them- (they look more like goat). I opted for authenticity on my last GW, but i'll try it out one day.

DSC_0337.jpg