• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Furniture polish on jackets?

WingAndaPrayer

Hey gang,
I vaguely remember a discussion (maybe it was on fedora?) about using furniture polish to give lackluster leather a nice sheen. Does anyone know about that? Or did I just go senile?

Garylafortuna

A lot of high end car polishes use beeswax in their formulas. The higher the percentage of beeswax, the higher the cost of the product. For leather jackets I've had excellent results with a good quality shoe cream. Provides a warm sheen, and still flexes well with the leather.

MikeyB-17

It was Pledge that Ken said they swore by at Aero-‘a vastly underrated product’. If there’s a difference, I don’t know what it is, but I imagine there must be.

WingAndaPrayer

The genesis of this idea came from a conversation I got into on a fb jacket page with a guy who has a FiveStar rough wear. I thought he had a good point about how dull and flat the steer hide is. It’s something I’ve noticed too, all my steer looks very flat and it seems most original jackets have a glossy/semi gloss finish to them. So would adding some sheen give the hide a little bit of an upgrade? I do like the FiveStar steer, it’s a nice leather, but it just doesn’t look like the higher end steer hides that are a little glossy. Or should the leather just be left as is ?

Marc mndt

I've tried numerous products: obenaufs, saphir, furniture leather conditioner etc etc. Obenaufs makes a jacket sticky and squeeky. Beeswax based saphir can leave white residu or cause blooming. My favorite product for a perfect shine and great color depth is Urad.

D31B9C97-800F-40F5-944C-DAFC3007617F.jpeg
42F30CB5-FA3C-42FE-9F45-F17C8C546003.jpeg
1D3320DE-EA03-499D-A8E7-DF3A87A16E88.jpeg

Micawber

Quite content to apply one or three of the proprietary products that I use on our horse tack and harness that I have mentioned more than once on VLJ in the past. Note that does not include Neatsfoot Oil.