• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Furniture polish on jackets?

CombatWombat

This is a water based product not a spirit based wax. It shouldn't remove any top coatings.
I was going to say the same thing......used neutral Kiwi for years on motorcycle jackets before I found out about Saphir creams and they never did anything too strange to leather...... plus our army issued it for boots for something like 80 years or so

Marc mndt

I was going to say the same thing......used neutral Kiwi for years on motorcycle jackets before I found out about Saphir creams and they never did anything too strange to leather...... plus our army issued it for boots for something like 80 years or so
I think it depends on the type of leather / coating / finish whether or not a product will damage the topcoat.

This cafe racer had a few small scratches under one of the handwarmer pockets, therefore I decided to use (water based) leather conditioner on it. As you can see it removed part of the brown coating and left a pale spot.

I tried applying some brown Kiwi shoe cream but that only made it worse.

Only solution was to apply it onto the other pockets as well, giving the whole jacket a distressed look.

6E99FA3E-3E34-4EA1-A03E-2F8086A6A182.jpeg
7BD494EB-77D7-46A6-A11C-E2A8ACAA1223.jpeg
90492739-D70F-4523-81D9-4F912DACDED6.jpeg

Micawber

Deep clean then test on an unseen area first. Bear in mind that worn spots will react differently to areas that are still fresh.

The internet is fickle. I see I will have to post some of my refinished jackets and advice again.

CombatWombat

I think it depends on the type of leather / coating / finish whether or not a product will damage the topcoat.

This cafe racer had a few small scratches under one of the handwarmer pockets, therefore I decided to use (water based) leather conditioner on it. As you can see it removed part of the brown coating and left a pale spot.

I tried applying some brown Kiwi shoe cream but that only made it worse.

Only solution was to apply it onto the other pockets as well, giving the whole jacket a distressed look.

View attachment 82710View attachment 82711View attachment 82712
Well I don't own anything but chrome tanned leather....on veg tanned I wouldn't put ANYTHING but a light coat of leather conditioner..... certainly not shoe polish *sweats at the thought*