• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FS: Buzz Rickson's B-2 Flight Jacket (38)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
The B-2 Winter Flying Jacket was standardized by the U. S. Army Air Corps in December 1931 and called for a horsehide outer shell with a lining material made of moquette, a pile-lined blend of cotton and silk found to have a very favorable weight-to-warmth ratio...it's also very soft and comfortable to wear! Later, some B-2 jackets utilized wool blanket pile for the lining ....

Buzz is the only company anywhere in the world to have reproduced the early B-2 made by Werber, possibly because they own the only remaining original...Lost Worlds and The Few have produced blanket-lined versions.

I have to wonder about the moquette story ... W-535 AC 4665 is the same Werber contract produced by both Buzz, and The Few. We have seen The Few's example, it's at the Christchurch factory, and it has the original blanket lining which they have matched perfectly.

asiamiles

So David, what's your thinking about the moquette lining?

In many respects John, I think you're right, yet to this day I've not worn it a single time. The weather is now finally close to B-2 suitability, so the opportunity may arise if it doesn't sell - or maybe I'll get a day out of it before it does! - though I'm still a bit self-conscious about the look of the liner when the jacket is left open, and I tend to not zip up my jackets a good deal of the time. My jacket purchase from Or Glory a couple of days ago means I quickly need to make funds available, and the B-2 seemed to easiest way to do so. I won't too be sorry if it doesn't sell though.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:

I'm just guessing, but I suspect that Buzz figured that the moquette would have more appeal to their Japanese customers.

And they were probably correct ... even our Mr. John Lever prefers it to the scratchy woollen blanket lining of The Few.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I'm just guessing, but I suspect that Buzz figured that the moquette would have more appeal to their Japanese customers.
I don't know if it's true about it being the first model B-2, but the original in their possession that they copied their repro from has the moquette lining. Also the shape of the pocket conforms to their original, being more square that those on other B-2's.*

*pocket shapes determined by stitch marks, of course.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
I don't know if it's true about it being the first model B-2, but the original in their possession that they copied their repro from has the moquette lining.

Fair enough ... both Full Gear, and Suit Up illustrate examples of the Werber contract with blanket lining, so it seems that both versions are correct.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
asiamiles said:

And they were probably correct ... even our Mr. John Lever prefers it to the scratchy woollen blanket lining of The Few.
David,
You know I would never dis. RMNZ or The Few, my favourite jacket makers. The Buzz B-2 is a very good jacket, its lining is perfect.
The Few version is only a few % behind in comfort.

asiamiles

John Lever said:
The Buzz B-2 is a very good jacket, its lining is perfect.
The lining is about the most comfortable ever! It's just a shame it pokes out from the windflap.

asiamiles

Sold to someone in Italy. Are there some issues sending leather jackets to Italy? I notice the winner's previous buy was a Langlitz so he got that okay, but I seem to recall people on here mentioning about some problems they encountered.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... Are there some issues sending leather jackets to Italy?

You read that footwear, and leather goods are prohibited ... yet members like our friend Carlo are happy Good Wearers.

I would ship, and leave leather out of the description ...

Secondhand moquette lined jacket.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
You read that footwear, and leather goods are prohibited ... yet members like our friend Carlo are happy Good Wearers.

I would ship, and leave leather out of the description ...

Secondhand moquette lined jacket.

I can't afford to risk a $600+ jacket because it would be my loss not the buyer's if it was confiscated (and not returned) by customs. Maybe time to contact the runner-up?

asiamiles

The jacket is made from Italian horsehide and states this on the label under the pocket flap. Wonder if it could be declared as goods being returned or something?

asiamiles

The buyer told me "I have received lots of leather goods. It's not a problem," and paid for the jacket, but I need more reassurance before sending it.

m444uk

asiamiles said:
The jacket is made from Italian horsehide and states this on the label under the pocket flap. Wonder if it could be declared as goods being returned or something?

You could declare it as made in Italy. Many of the items are on the list for protectionist reasons.