• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found an old envelope of ELC info from 1997, check out the price!

Tattoo A2

Speaking of tattoos, what has changed over the years that makes them so less painful? My buddy and got a couple when we were 16 (1976) and we we’re almost in tears from the pain. Felt like a hot razor blade on my arm for 30 minutes. Had one of my sons birthday Done in 2007 and it was nothing. Could have done it for hours.
Way back when the artist would use the same needles over and over again, which would lead to the needle getting sharper and tearing up the skin a bit more and more pain, I remember the late 70s and early 80s going thru the same thing, also the machines themselves were usually set up without a capacitor that also made the machine hit alot harder.. the quicker the artist works the less damage to the skin and less or no scabbing.

Tattoo A2

View attachment 97545

Okay -- trying my hand at using direct image drops @mulceber !

Found my Cockpit receipt from my B-3 in an old box of files. 1990 -- $375! Was a time I was flush with cash after a nasty divorce... but I hadn't discovered ELC/HPA yet. ;)
My first was a cockpit A2 around 89 or 90 also, they had a commercial on usually late at night advertising their jackets back then, I went to high school in Long Island City, never knowing they were a few blocks down.

Pa12

Way back when the artist would use the same needles over and over again, which would lead to the needle getting sharper and tearing up the skin a bit more and more pain, I remember the late 70s and early 80s going thru the same thing, also the machines themselves were usually set up without a capacitor that also made the machine hit alot harder.. the quicker the artist works the less damage to the skin and less or no scabbing.
Thanks. Always wondered. And as bad as it was, we went back 3 more times;)

Chandler

My first was a cockpit A2 around 89 or 90 also, they had a commercial on usually late at night advertising their jackets back then, I went to high school in Long Island City, never knowing they were a few blocks down.
Commercials? Wow -- bet those were something!

Haven't found the receipt for my Cockpit/Avirex A-2, but it was from around 1990, too.

Tattoo A2

It was part of the allure back then. Pretty rare to see anyone with a tattoo except bikers and sailors. Now I see why everyone has them now. Piece of piss in comparison.
You are 100% right, used to be all bikers servicemen and alot of topless dancers, 90% men and 10% woman, now its about 80% woman to 20% men getting them, form soccer moms to school teachers to grandmas...the time they have changed...

Micawber

My then underage daughter asked for my blessing to have a tattoo of her pony some years ago, as it would be hidden I reluctantly gave her my consent. She is now a young adult who still lives at home and just the other day happened to notice she now has had quite a few more done, all normally hidden and various subjects.
Different times.

Pa12

My then underage daughter asked for my blessing to have a tattoo of her pony some years ago, as it would be hidden I reluctantly gave her my consent. She is now a young adult who still lives at home and just the other day happened to notice she now has had quite a few more done, all normally hidden and various subjects.
Different times.
My stepdaughter took a trip around the world after university, on her own. Every country she visited she got a tattoo done. She also insisted on having them done in that country’s traditional method. She’s a tough little thing, but you wouldn’t know to look at her.

Pa12

You are 100% right, used to be all bikers servicemen and alot of topless dancers, 90% men and 10% woman, now its about 80% woman to 20% men getting them, form soccer moms to school teachers to grandmas...the time they have changed...
Same with bikes. We had bikes because we couldn’t afford cars. As a teenager I could ride a week without seeing another motorcycle. Now, wow. So many now I ditched mine. It just lost its allure for me. Plus, there’s so many idiot drivers out there it seemed to be inevitable that someone was going to run into me.

Micawber

Same with bikes. We had bikes because we couldn’t afford cars. As a teenager I could ride a week without seeing another motorcycle. Now, wow. So many now I ditched mine. It just lost its allure for me. Plus, there’s so many idiot drivers out there it seemed to be inevitable that someone was going to run into me.

I never inherited my father's preference for bikes much preferring the safety and warmth of cars. Both my children have cars but for reasons unknown got into bikes too. Last year daughter, who is still at university, traded in the car we bought her for something bigger. Fair enough as she paid for it but she has just done the same with her motorbike, she is actually out on it now somewhere ....and I won't be able to fully relax until she gets home.

Pa12

I never inherited my father's preference for bikes much preferring the safety and warmth of cars. Both my children have cars but for reasons unknown got into bikes too. Last year daughter, who is still at university, traded in the car we bought her for something bigger. Fair enough as she paid for it but she has just done the same with her motorbike, she is actually out on it now somewhere ....and I won't be able to fully relax until she gets home.
Are there a lot of bikes in the uk?

Pa12

My stepdaughter took a trip around the world after university, on her own. Every country she visited she got a tattoo done. She also insisted on having them done in that country’s traditional method. She’s a tough little thing, but you wouldn’t know to look at her.
I shouldn’t say every country. More like every “region”. Not like she looks like the illustrated man, but more then enough in my view.

Pa12

Yes. The small village pub I just visited this morning has a two wheeler evening meet once a month in the summer which last year was regularly attracting 1500 - 2000 bikes.
Wow. My dad had a couple bikes during the war when he was based at Leeming bar with bomber command. A Harley and a henderson. I don’t imagine the weather would be too conducive to riding bikes in that region.

Micawber

Wow. My dad had a couple bikes during the war when he was based at Leeming bar with bomber command. A Harley and a henderson. I don’t imagine the weather would be too conducive to riding bikes in that region.

I like tinkering with old bikes in the past like I did most things old and mechanical but didn't make a habit of it but as to riding, no thanks! The climate is a bit milder these days but both kids know the importance of wrapping up warm.

Pa12

I like tinkering with old bikes in the past like I did most things old and mechanical but didn't make a habit of it but as to riding, no thanks! The climate is a bit milder these days but both kids know the importance of wrapping up warm.
My brother is a big bike guy. Has 7 now. I think he likes working on them more then riding them.