• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER G1 JACKET

I wanted to advise the VLJ members here that Shawn of Five Star has sent me a email to re-make me another G-1 Spec. 55J14 size 46. I would think any other jacket maker wouldn't have done so. That is very nice of Shawn to solve the jacket I received with the odor. Shows he is serious about what he makes and any complaints that arise. He has assured me the replacement will not have any odor.

The one he sent still has the odor after 9 days hanging outside and in a garage. Also, I don't know if that will ever leave. It is a beautiful jacket... correct Reddish brown goatskin, and great grain. Besides, it fit just perfect for a size 46. For those members here and any future ones, I think you can thrust Five Star to make a good flight jacket and back up their work.

Otter

Glad to hear it, did I read correctly a few pages back that you were an Able Dog pilot ? My favourite plane, you must have some tales to tell. There used to be a very interesting website where old AD pilots shared their stories, the one that stuck with me most was a description of what it would have been like to fly a nuclear strike mission on a Navy Yard in the Crimea. Opened a whole widow on that subject, fascinating, but horrific.

B-Man2

I wanted to advise the VLJ members here that Shawn of Five Star has sent me a email to re-make me another G-1 Spec. 55J14 size 46. I would think any other jacket maker wouldn't have done so. That is very nice of Shawn to solve the jacket I received with the odor. Shows he is serious about what he makes and any complaints that arise. He has assured me the replacement will not have any odor.

The one he sent still has the odor after 9 days hanging outside and in a garage. Also, I don't know if that will ever leave. It is a beautiful jacket... correct Reddish brown goatskin, and great grain. Besides, it fit just perfect for a size 46. For those members here and any future ones, I think you can thrust Five Star to make a good flight jacket and back up their work.
B.Willbnks
Like most here I’ve followed your posts on this jacket since the beginning. What I’ve gotten from all of them is, that you have tried just about everything to rid this jacket of it’s horrible odor with no success . If you finally reached the point of being done with the jacket and you are not under obligation to return it to Shawn, don’t destroy it, or throw it away. There are several of us here who will gladly step up and take a crack at removing the odor from the jacket and making it one of our everyday wearers. I for one will step up and give it a try and Im sure others here would be willing to make the same offer. So consider this as a possible option, if you are done with any further attempts to salvage the jacket. Simply hold a lottery of all the volunteers so the process is fair to all.
Cheers
B-Man 2

Juanito

B.Willbnks
Like most here I’ve followed your posts on this jacket since the beginning. What I’ve gotten from all of them is, that you have tried just about everything to rid this jacket of it’s horrible odor with no success . If you finally reached the point of being done with the jacket and you are not under obligation to return it to Shawn, don’t destroy it, or throw it away. There are several of us here who will gladly step up and take a crack at removing the odor from the jacket and making it one of our everyday wearers. I for one will step up and give it a try and Im sure others here would be willing to make the same offer. So consider this as a possible option, if you are done with any further attempts to salvage the jacket. Simply hold a lottery of all the volunteers so the process is fair to all.
Cheers
B-Man 2
Best post of the week!

Best post of the week!
No!, I was not a AD-4W pilot. I was a radioman/radar tech. Yes!, they were called the Able Dogs. aka "the guppy"

Attachments

• vc33asw.jpg
    vc33asw.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

Otter

Got you, nice photo, don't see too many of the guys in the back. Did the USN use the term Bear or was that exclusively as USAF term ?

Got you, nice photo, don't see too many of the guys in the back. Did the USN use the term Bear or was that exclusively as USAF term ?

There wasn't no such term used in reference to the enemy. When a
B.Willbnks
Cheers
B-Man 2

I'm not sure the jacket (package) will get by the USPS inspectors or UPS package police due to it odor that I'm positive will radiate from within. They might think I'm shipping some bad chemicals, etc. I hear that Homeland Security now had look0out for such packages.
If you have a secret solution, you might consider sharing it.

We never used any "slang terms" as Bear. I think that may have come from the Air Force in reference to a Russian aircraft.
We had two words regarding aircraft. "Friendly and Hostile" and that how we radio on any aircraft is the combat zone.

B-Man2

There wasn't no such term used in reference to the enemy. When a

I'm not sure the jacket (package) will get by the USPS inspectors or UPS package police due to it odor that I'm positive will radiate from within. They might think I'm shipping some bad chemicals, etc. I hear that Homeland Security now had look0out for such packages.
If you have a secret solution, you might consider sharing it.

You really lost me there partner. Let me see if I understand what your telling me ;

Your saying that a package containing a jacket that had an obnoxious odor, .......which was shipped from Pakistan,..... a country already on the US watch list,........ which was detained at entry into the US,.....by Homeland Security....... at a foreign mail US impound center..... until it could be screened , cleared and released for delivery to US Postal Authorities......... which then went all the way through the US Postal System ....completely unchallenged ...........might now be stopped in a domestic Postal shipment and seized by authorities and you could be what.....investigated?

That’s a bit of a reach for me brother, but that doesn’t really matter because it’s your jacket and you certainly have the right to do anything you please with it, including set it a blaze if you like .

As far as what would I do to address the problem, I would wait for a warm sunny day, I would zip up the jacket and put it on a hanger, then I would take a plastic bag and cover the fake mouton collar with the bag and tape it so that it wouldn’t get wet. Then I would hang the jacket outside and take a garden hose and blast it with the jet setting. Starting at the base of the collar I would carefully work my way down the jacket hosing down jacket and knits. I would wipe the excess fluid off the jacket and hang in in the garage letting it dry slowly. Once the outside is dry I would take some Fabreze a commercially available odor killer and spray the linning, the knits and the fake mouton collar of the jacket. Then let it all dry. I would do this repeadly until the odor was gone.
Others may have a different suggestion but that’s mine.
Good Luck with it.

Last edited:
You really lost me there partner. Let me see if I understand what your telling me ;

Your saying that a package containing a jacket that had an obnoxious odor, .......which was shipped from Pakistan,..... a country already on the US watch list,........ which was detained at entry into the US,.....by Homeland Security....... at a foreign mail US impound center..... until it could be screened , cleared and released for delivery to US Postal Authorities......... which then went all the way through the US Postal System ....completely unchallenged ...........might now be stopped in a domestic Postal shipment and seized by authorities and you could be what.....investigated?

That’s a bit of a reach for me brother, but that doesn’t really matter because it’s your jacket and you certainly have the right to do anything you please with it, including set it a blaze if you like .

As far as what would I do to address the problem, I would wait for a warm sunny day, I would zip up the jacket and put it on a hanger, then I would take a plastic bag and cover the fake mouton collar with the bag and tape it so that it wouldn’t get wet. Then I would hang the jacket outside and take a garden hose and blast it with the jet setting. Starting at the base of the collar I would carefully work my way down the jacket hosing down jacket and knits. I would wipe the excess fluid off the jacket and hang in in the garage letting it dry slowly. Once the outside is dry I would take some Fabreze a commercially available odor killer and spray the linning, the knits and the fake mouton collar of the jacket. Then let it all dry. I would do this repeadly until the odor was gone.
Others may have a different suggestion but that’s mine.
Good Luck with it.

QUOTE:
B-Mn2 wrote this is above posting...
don’t destroy it, or throw it away. There are several of us here who will gladly step up and take a crack at removing the odor from the jacket and making it one of our everyday wearers. I for one will step up and give it a try and Im sure others here would be willing to make the same offer. So consider this as a possible option, if you are done with any further attempts to salvage the jacket. Simply hold a lottery of all the volunteers so the process is fair to all.
Cheers
B-Man 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Five Star shipped the jacket (package) by DHL Express to the United States. It was excepted by Customs in New York, cleared and DHL delivered it to Tulsa, a DHL delivery truck brought it to my home.
My reply was based on what "could happen" if I mailed or shipped the package and the delivery carrier notice the odor coming from the carton. If any....

I would hope you understand what you have written, and that what my reply was regarding sending the jacket to you or who-ever won the lottery you suggested to remove the odor
It would be foolish to take your suggestion to wash it down with a pressure water hose, or think that running it in a washing machine might remove the odor. By the way, the jacket as a mouton fur collar...NO FAKE.
Also, I don't consider Febreze a leather cleaner, it just masks the odor. I would prefer a professional cleaner that has a record on cleaning leather jackets.

BTW> I have done the sunshine bit, and cleaning it with Dawn soap liquid and White Vinegar, plus the poly bag and backing soda.

B-Man2

QUOTE:
B-Mn2 wrote this is above posting...
don’t destroy it, or throw it away. There are several of us here who will gladly step up and take a crack at removing the odor from the jacket and making it one of our everyday wearers. I for one will step up and give it a try and Im sure others here would be willing to make the same offer. So consider this as a possible option, if you are done with any further attempts to salvage the jacket. Simply hold a lottery of all the volunteers so the process is fair to all.
Cheers
B-Man 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Five Star shipped the jacket (package) by DHL Express to the United States. It was excepted by Customs in New York, cleared and DHL delivered it to Tulsa, a DHL delivery truck brought it to my home.
My reply was based on what "could happen" if I mailed or shipped the package and the delivery carrier notice the odor coming from the carton. If any....

I would hope you understand what you have written, and that what my reply was regarding sending the jacket to you or who-ever won the lottery you suggested to remove the odor
It would be foolish to take your suggestion to wash it down with a pressure water hose, or think that running it in a washing machine might remove the odor. By the way, the jacket as a mouton fur collar...NO FAKE.
Also, I don't consider Febreze a leather cleaner, it just masks the odor. I would prefer a professional cleaner that has a record on cleaning leather jackets.

BTW> I have done the sunshine bit, and cleaning it with Dawn soap liquid and White Vinegar, plus the poly bag and backing soda.

As I said ......this is what I would do.
BTW no need to get spun up on the mouton collar vs fake mouton . Many military issued G-1 jackets have fake mouton collars . Also to clarify I didn’t say pressure washing hose. A simple garden hose with a jet spray is enough. Also Febreze is not a leather cleaner your correct... ....never said that it was, however it does eliminate odors.
As I said ... this is what I would do ....but no need to accept my advise, as you seem to have this under control.

Thomas Koehle

G1 / M422 which I received last week from Shawn and his guys

G6bPT5Q.jpg

XgNeC2c.jpg

eapZKSo.jpg

B2e7xCA.jpg

no odors - no bad smell - I'm really satisfied with their job

only - really only down"thing" is they did not use the contrast thread I was asking for but finally I think I like it more in the way I got it anyway

100% thumbs up for 5*

Kennyz

Nice! Congratulations Thomas.

Ken

G1 / M422 which I received last week from Shawn and his guys

G6bPT5Q.jpg

XgNeC2c.jpg

eapZKSo.jpg

B2e7xCA.jpg

no odors - no bad smell - I'm really satisfied with their job

only - really only down"thing" is they did not use the contrast thread I was asking for but finally I think I like it more in the way I got it anyway

100% thumbs up for 5*