• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC RW B6 re-model

Peter Graham

I think the jacket looks fantastic but I don't understand why they use that label. It doesn't bother me but I know in the past it would have and there are people it does bother and fair play to them. The label is wrong, plain and simple and it's not even that they charge more for the spurious Rough Wear connection. It's the same price as the .50 cal B-6.

Mundele

deeb7 said:
Mundele said:
Tim P said:
(again the D1 loses out)

Now you've put me right off my D1. I might have to ditch it!

No Mundele, D-1 good ... simple, short, and boxy, the perfect flight jacket.

Yes. Simple, short, boxy is good.

Also - lightweight but still warm is good.

It's the crocodile jaw zips ripping my delicate hands that frustrate me!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Mundele said:
It's the crocodile jaw zips ripping my delicate hands that frustrate me!

That's easily fixed ...

I don't like them either, so I chose an earlier contract that didn't have them. And Bevan, who likes to carry about his fancy phone, had his fitted with a rigger pocket ... it looks great. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7611

MikeyB-17

I'm not sure the pockets on a D-1 are designed to put your hands in. They're too high up, and the very fact that they have zips suggests to me that they were there for putting stuff in. The ones on the B-6 are lower down and angled for easy hand insertion. Personally I never put my hands in my jacket pockets anyway. I intend getting a D-1 soon, by fair means or foul, so if there's a size 42 going spare anywhere, I could be interested. Otherwise I'm going to ELC for new one (yes, me who recently said I would never buy another new sheepskin jacket!)

Roughwear

Tim P said:
I consider the contract number to be pretty immaterial in the scheme of things.

Tim, the issue for me is much more than the label. RW never had a contract for the B-6. Apart from one contract to Poughkeepsie, Aero had all the contracts. Eastman advertises their RW B-6 in the original makers section of their website. Since RW never made B-6s this is misleading and wrong. They would be better producing an Eastman labelled redskin B-6 and advertising it in the US flight jackets section. The label would not deter me from buying the jacket though if I was going to buy a B-6, but I do prefer the seal one.

Tim P

Yup that is more of a biggie. Still not a drama but a little bit revisionist nonetheless.
I assumed that since they produced a Roughwear redskin B6, such a beast existed in the day. Now calling it a poughkeepsie and having a correct zip type for that would be a master stroke.

Of course for anyone other than us all this is immaterial .

asiamiles

MikeyB-17 said:
Give me a D-1 over a B-6 any day. The B-6 looks fine from the front, but horrible from the back. And I don't like the epaulettes, or the side zips.

Every plus has its minus and vice-versa. I agree on the side zips which I've always considered an eye sore, the way they're just stuck on; there was a B-6 with straps which is much more pleasing to look at, and I think everything else about the B-6 is kinda spiffy and I'd like to get another one...I once had a RM but it was a touch small so I sold it. The advantage of the zippered pockets on the D-1 means you can store valuables in them without fear of them falling out, but I know from my Or Glory motorcycle jacket that zippered pockets aren't very practical as handwarmers. I have a Buzz D-1 but have yet to wear it...should have the opportunity to do so in Nov/Dec and will probably have to decided whether to keep it or my mouton shawl collar Californian which I've also yet to wear.

Peter Graham

I like everything about the B-6, including the side zips, but there ya go, each to their own. :) . Here's a few snaps of the original Aero redskin B-6 I used to own.
jackets001-3.jpg

jackets004-2.jpg

jackets006-2.jpg

jackets007-2.jpg

Tim P

I'm hoping for an original maker contract in goat, that doesnt seem to feature in their inventory just now...

handworn

How curious-- my taste and yours are like Jack Sprat and his wife. I think the B-6 looks great (better than the D-1) but better from the back than the front.

MikeyB-17 said:
What size? I'll have it! Give me a D-1 over a B-6 any day. The B-6 looks fine from the front, but horrible from the back. And I don't like the epaulettes, or the side zips.