• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Rough Wear 1401 sz. 44 - fitting problem/question

havocpaul

I have never had a fitting problem with Eastman jackets, I can confidently pick a jacket and know my size will fit, however, I don't really like the collar-stand jackets, repro or original. Like GW, ELC will work with a customer on getting the correct fit but obviously not in the re-issue department. I am sure Gary will be helpful.

1911A1US

I would try another contract,that`s what I did,I am kind of happy now.But then again I never see too be satisfied.B Burtner ,Tompkins lodge #471.SINY.

Pete17

I also have the ELC 1401 and love it. Best jacket I have ever bought.
There's nothing wrong with yours other then it being a couple of sizes to big IMO.
The 1401 had the collar stand and that's how ELC has made theirs. Just like the original.

lazar

First of all I wanted to thank you all for the input!

Here is the update.
Last week on Tuesday I called Gary and told him my problems with the jacket and he promised to look through the mail I sent him. The mail included the pictures that were posted here.
This Tuesday I recived a package from ELC. In the package was a 1401 in size 42. Unfortunately he dindn´t conact me beforehand, so I had no possibility to discuss my problems and the fact, that I would rather try another contract.
The jacket was also well made, and the fit in the shoulders/the shoulder span was as I think it should be, but the jacket is IMHO to small. I felt like I would wear a suit left over from my confirmation! And to me the collar-fit felt weird again. That might be the make of this special contract and historically correct, but then this contract is not made for me/my bodytype.
So this jacket is again on the way back to the UK.
I hope I will be able to discuss the replacement this time!

Frontview.jpg

Sideview.jpg

Rearview.jpg

Mathias

Steve Canyon

Very slim-fit, like a harness, despite sleeve-lenght OK...
I recommend a well-made size 44; maybe a GW or Aeroleather.

fishmeok

Just from my own experience making patterns and jackets I would say you need at least an inch longer in the arms and body and another inch or two across the chest and the middle of the back- the shoulder to shoulder looks good. Jackets like that 42 LOOK great and slim but they are like the old designer jeans from the 80's- look great if you just stand around, but if you actually try to walk or move or anything they are very uncomfortable. The collar stand will lie down of you use the hot water treatment and beat it up, but I would suggest trying a jacket without a collar stand first.

Goodwear is probably your best bet as John can make whatever alterations are necissary and recommend the best contract for your body type. Good excuse to hop the channel and visit Eastman though, and try on several different jackets....
Cheers
Mark

jacketimp

lazar said:

Here is the update.
Last week on Tuesday I called Gary and told him my problems with the jacket and he promised to look through the mail I sent him. The mail included the pictures that were posted here.
This Tuesday I recived a package from ELC. In the package was a 1401 in size 42. Unfortunately he dindn´t conact me beforehand, so I had no possibility to discuss my problems and the fact, that I would rather try another contract.
The jacket was also well made, and the fit in the shoulders/the shoulder span was as I think it should be, but the jacket is IMHO to small. I felt like I would wear a suit left over from my confirmation! And to me the collar-fit felt weird again. That might be the make of this special contract and historically correct, but then this contract is not made for me/my bodytype.

Mathias

so waht made you choose this particular repro in the first instance...

jacketimp

lazar said:

Here is the update.

Frontview.jpg

Sideview.jpg

Rearview.jpg

Mathias

a snug military fit if i may say so..........

Grant

Your joking - right?
That ELC fits you great.
Maybe loose a few pounds so there's a bit more room but overall it looks like it fits you spot on.
If the collar bugs you just flatten it down with a little hot water treatment and you'll be good to go.

better duck

Grant said:
Your joking - right?
That ELC fits you great.
Maybe loose a few pounds so there's a bit more room but overall it looks like it fits you spot on.
If the collar bugs you just flatten it down with a little hot water treatment and you'll be good to go.

You're right ahead of me there: fit looks great, and very likely will feel OK too if you just keep wearing it, may hotwater-treat it a bit.
The first time I got my ELC Werber out of the box and on my frame, or my GW Dubow GS in 46 for that matter, they felt restrictive too. Now you won't hear me complain any more: they are formfitting on my frame, and that feels great.
And like you say: the collar will ease up too.
So I wouldn't be too hasty returning it either.

To show what I am talking about, fitwise, here are three photos:
The first of my ELC Werber size 46 when right out of the box:
IMG_2460A.jpg

Then, one year later (and esp. notice how the collar has moved out of the way):
IMG_2295A.jpg

The third is my GW Dubow GS 46 when brand new:

GWDubowmetventstaand1.jpg

jacketimp

fit.........good........bad.............good.....bad........

who to listen to..............who is right.................

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
jacketimp said:
who to listen to..............who is right.................

I'm voting for ... "it fits, just wear it", it's horsehide, so it needs a little breaking in.

It's usual with a new A-2 to feel like you're wearing a suitcase, but that soon goes away.

jacketimp

hmmmmm after the first date........you ask you friends if you should go for another date with the same gal.......

dilemma.......one friend says yes one friend says no.........

whos' in control........who's going on the date......

hard call.........

Steve Canyon

jacketimp said:
hmmmmm after the first date........you ask you friends if you should go for another date with the same gal.......

hard call.........
Doubt isn't a good sign.....

jacketimp

Steve Canyon said:
jacketimp said:

hard call.........
Doubt isn't a good sign.....

you're right.......

doubts sow confusion.......clouds the mind........fog (not fug) clarity......

maybe that's why some seek partners to take control over decision-making.....

A

Anonymous

I kind of like the fit of the first one. At least that looked comfortable. Once it broke in I bet it would look fine. You look very confined in that small/short jacket.

bseal

Grant said:
Your joking - right?
That ELC fits you great.

From experience with both collarstand and non collarstand A-2s by ELC, G&B, Real McCoys, LWs, Aero, and GW, I would advise that the fit seen in your size ELC 42 photos is accurate.

The A-2, while smart and classic looking, isn't necessarily the most comfortable leather jacket ever made, especially for certain body types.

WWII AAF & AAC servicemen at public events will candidly tell you that they prefer the fit of their 80's Member's Only cloth jackets over A-2s.

As J.C. and the other individuals here have mentioned, a different contract, to some extent, might be a better option. Just don't forget about the break in period that virtually all require, regardless of contract.

--
P.S. ELC's most comfortable jacket is their capeskin A-1. (Always pushing my agenda.) ;)