• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Rough Wear 1401 sz. 44 - fitting problem/question

lazar

Hi there,
I took the opportunity and grabbed the A-2 in size 44 from ELC´s Re-Issue Department. After a mix-up (first the 38 was sent) finally the jacket arrived yesterday.
The jacket is beautifully made and on first sight the "slightly second" mostly concerns the made of the epaulettes.
My problem is the fitting of the jacket in the neck area. If closed, the upper part of the rear panel rides up the backside of my neck and the upper side of the collar is sitting nearly in the height of my earlobes. It really feels weird and wrong. Only if opened completely the fit in the neck/shoulder area feels right.
My question as an A-2 novice is: is there something wrong with the jacket (i.e. the jacket beeing second also concerns the cut), is this kind of fit part of the contract, is it something that gives away over the time as the hide gets more softer or is it me that dosen´t fit the cut of an A-2? Should I send the jacket back and get another one/choose another contract?
I am really confused, since that is the first time ever that a jacket, especially a leather jacket, completely “mis-fits” me.
Help and comments are very much appreciated!
Thanks a lot in advance!

Mathias

Here are some quick and dirty pictures taken with my phone camera (my younger daughter made a submarine out of my regular camera!)

Front view
My shoulders look like Tom Cruise´s

IMG_0301.jpg

Side view (jacket closed)
The jacket is bending upwards and sitting high in the back

IMG_0285.jpg

Side view (jacket opened)
The jacket sits in the neck as it should but sticks out in the back

IMG_0305.jpg

Falcon_52

This is just my opinion but something looks very wrong with that jacket. Either it's cut wrong or it's just too large for your body. In the profile picture, it looks like there is far too much body material (and upper sleeve material too). What's odd is that the sleeve length looks good. :?

If it doesn't feel right to you, it probably isn't. I would return it for sure.

Regards,

Noel

jacketimp

Falcon_52 said:
This is just my opinion but something looks very wrong with that jacket. Either it's cut wrong or it's just too large for your body. In the profile picture, it looks like there is far too much body material (and upper sleeve material too). What's odd is that the sleeve length looks good. :?

If it doesn't feel right to you, it probably isn't. I would return it for sure.

Regards,

Noel

does elc allow returns for re-issues?

lazar

Thanks for your answers!
The jacket feels just wrong! I am not sure about the sizing, my chest measures 42,8" (mesured over a t-shirt) and I normally wear a German size 54, so that would count as a UK/US 44. I have a BR N-1 in size XXL that fits me good, even if the shoulders a 1" too wide for my taste and as far as I know the BR XXL is comparable with a 44.

I am sure if I would downsize the arms would be too short.

I asked Mr. Eastman beforehand about the sizing and he said a 44 should fit and it would be probably on the short side, me being 6ft3". I also asked him if I could send the jacket back if it doesen´t fit and he said it would be no problem.

Mathias

Clark J

That's how my 1401 fit me..like hell!!!Collar fit high and it felt like I had no neck...looked like crap too!!

jacketimp

lazar said:
I asked Mr. Eastman beforehand about the sizing and he said a 44 should fit and it would be probably on the short side, me being 6ft3". I also asked him if I could send the jacket back if it doesen´t fit and he said it would be no problem.

Mathias

you have a choice.......keep or return.........nice to hear gary allow returns

havocpaul

It does look wrong but also it has the collar stand which I don't think looks right on alot of repros, tends to push the collar up into the neck too much.

lazar

Thanks again!
I am now 100% sure in sending the jacket back! But I don´t know if a downsizing and choosing another contract is a probable solution. What do you think?

Mathias

jacketimp

lazar said:
Thanks again!
I am now 100% sure in sending the jacket back! But I don´t know if a downsizing and choosing another contract is a probable solution. What do you think?

Mathias

have you thought of a GW........

it's a very very highleee regarded repro......

waht's more it's made to measure.......can't go wrong...doesn't get any better

ASCooke

I received the size 38 1401 A-2 yesterday also (weird that's its been to Germany and back!) Anyway, the fit is spot on, but the collar is an issue. I'm just hoping I'll be able to flatten it down? This morning i had it on, and the female part of the press stud on one of the pockets came off, and it stayed attached to the ball part of the button. The buttons are really stiff and difficult to undo. More than any other ELC A-2 i have had. I wonder if this is why it was put in the re-issue depot?

I would recommend the ELC Werber A-2 to Lazar. Great jacket :cool:

jacketimp

ASCooke said:
I received the size 38 1401 A-2 yesterday also (weird that's its been to Germany and back!) Anyway, the fit is spot on, but the collar is an issue. I'm just hoping I'll be able to flatten it down? This morning i had it on, and the female part of the press stud on one of the pockets came off, and it stayed attached to the ball part of the button. The buttons are really stiff and difficult to undo. More than any other ELC A-2 i have had. I wonder if this is why it was put in the re-issue depot?

you mention re-issue and germany....if you bought from elc maybe a good idea to get in touch with elc... see what they say?

A

Anonymous

Looks 2 sizes to big to me if your shoulders fit the jacket I am sure it would bring the collar down but you have excessive droop in the shoulders.Your jacket is also to big on the pit to pit across the chest ,the sleeve length on different size jackets should not be a issue unless you have very long arms .To get the best fit I would suggest you look at a Good Wear which can be made to fit you correctly .The A-2 jacket is a difficult jacket to get to fit right ,when the body arms and length is correct the shoulder are to tight or restrictive .

Jeff

lazar

ASCooke said:

Thanks for your suggestion! I´ll speak to Gary on Monday.

Your jacket was in Germany but never put on! Since it seamed very small,I first took a loock on the size and after that was slightly crestfallen!
If it fits you, you surely have a really great jacket! Congratulations!

lazar

Thanks jacketimp and DUBOWA2!

I already contacted John and made my first deposit. I spoke to him about a 27753 and the measurements he sent me for the size 44 were near the measurements from my N-1 jacket. I thought I could "shorten" the waiting time for the GW and the ELC seemed good to me. And what is better than having one jacket? Two!
I really didn´t know that sizing an A-2 would be so difficult! So I´ll see what Gary says on Monday and I surely will contact John again!

ASCooke

Thanks Lazar. It's nice that my jacket already has a story to tell. I like your thinking of getting an interim jacket while you wait for your Goodwear :D

jacketimp

lazar said:
Thanks jacketimp and DUBOWA2!

I already contacted John and made my first deposit. I spoke to him about a 27753 and the measurements he sent me for the size 44 were near the measurements from my N-1 jacket. I thought I could "shorten" the waiting time for the GW and the ELC seemed good to me. And what is better than having one jacket? Two!
I really didn´t know that sizing an A-2 would be so difficult! So I´ll see what Gary says on Monday and I surely will contact John again!

no probs.........glad to be of service.

you're most welcome,
the self appointed Gw ambassador

mazeta

havocpaul said:
It does look wrong but also it has the collar stand which I don't think looks right on alot of repros, tends to push the collar up into the neck too much.
I had an original RW that was in new-old-stock condition (never 'broken in') where the collar was too high on the neck as well, to the point that it was uncomfortable to wear. The hide was fairly think for an original so that made the creep up on the neck even worse.