• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Devon Fleece

BJR

Does anyone have a more recent (later than 2015) review of the ELC Devon? It would be great to hear about the jacket, and if it’s been updated, and what people like and don’t like about the current version.

Thanks,

BJR

MeachamLake

I'm sorry, but I always think of pubes when I see the photos of it. I just can't unsee it. I've tried so hard to remove the image. I've been in therapy for years.

I'm sure it's a cracking jacket, but...pubes.

BJR

I am aware that ELC is in the process of updating their website pictures for the 1940 and 1942 RAF jackets. It would still be nice to get a current review from someone of the Devon Fleece with pictures, unless the jacket hasn’t changed since the most recent update I have seen from 2015.

Dubpynchon

I had one last year which I sold on as it was too small for me. It was a great jacket, if it had been one size larger there’s no way I would have let it go. The fleece in mine wasn’t particularly curly. It was very thick and warm, you definitely need to go up a size. It was a great jacket but not worth £1800. If I wanted a super heavy sheepskin I’d get an ANJ4 from Aero.

F4ED3555-CF44-48FA-9D9D-90076B7396F0.jpeg

E1642D55-8F91-44F1-AF63-3A580E2EA52B.jpeg

Last edited:

Dubpynchon

Awesome jacket. What did you like best and least about the jacket?
There wasn’t really anything I didn’t like about it, it might have been too warm for the climate in Ireland but that’s not really a complaint. They hardly ever come up on the second hand market, it stung that it didn’t fit as I got it at a great price.

BJR

There wasn’t really anything I didn’t like about it, it might have been too warm for the climate in Ireland but that’s not really a complaint. They hardly ever come up on the second hand market, it stung that it didn’t fit as I got it at a great price.
Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

John Lever

The fleece looks identical to the merino skins from 25 years ago. When the 1944 was introduced by Eastman the skins were very different, dry sparse coarse wool not very nice in fact.
The thing I like least is the way the cuffs are finished, some have wristlets sewn on, this gives a nasty seam on the end of the arm.

Pretty sure Aero could source bobbly wool like that.

BJR

The fleece looks identical to the merino skins from 25 years ago. When the 1944 was introduced by Eastman the skins were very different, dry sparse coarse wool not very nice in fact.
The thing I like least is the way the cuffs are finished, some have wristlets sewn on, this gives a nasty seam on the end of the arm.

Pretty sure Aero could source bobbly wool like that.
Other than how the cuffs are finished, what are your thoughts on the jacket?

John Lever

I'm no expert so my opinion is purely personal. It looks like the pattern is the same as the other two variants the only difference being the panel configuration. It's also expensive perhaps too expensive for most of us.

BJR

I'm no expert so my opinion is purely personal. It looks like the pattern is the same as the other two variants the only difference being the panel configuration. It's also expensive perhaps too expensive for most of us.
Thank you!!

Officer Dibley

JL, you undersell yourself. You've been a serious champion of shearlings going back at least the 20 or so years i've been on here (under a different name earlier on). You have seen many. Though your modesty does you credit and is in contrast to some self appointed authorities.
You are right though, it is all about opinion and personal preference.

BJR

JL, you undersell yourself. You've been a serious champion of shearlings going back at least the 20 or so years i've been on here (under a different name earlier on). You have seen many. Though your modesty does you credit and is in contrast to some self appointed authorities.
You are right though, it is all about opinion and personal preference.
I am certainly interested in hearing about folks opinion on the jacket, as it seems to be a nice variation of multi-panel and close pile/curly fleece. Definitely a unique look.

bn1966

Agree with regard to the sizing, I'm a 46" chest & moved my 46" ELC BOB on due to 'snugness'..'Global Warming' in the UK has led to the D-1 route...not sure here about a very curly fleece :)