• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC BoB RAF ?

Griffon_301

that's how mine looks like..

20230724_193923.jpg

blackrat2

Went and paid Eastmans a visit today. Have to say was made to feel very welcome, given a cup of coffee a brief explanation of how and where the jackets are assembled and then shown round the showroom.
The showroom is pretty awesome with a section set aside for Catch 22, Fury and some other displays.
Their stock of originals is frankly breathtaking and seemingly a small portion of what Gary has in his collection.
On to the Irvin’s John, so in short they are still using the same fleece that they have been using in last few years, the picture in question from what I was told having shown the picture to the gent who showed me around, would be the current fleece but that the owner of whoever photographed the picture , has added added dye or Polish and given the jacket a personal touch to.
I have grabbed a sample John and can either drop it off to you when I am back at work in couple of weeks or send you.
I took pictures inside as I didn’t feel I could ask to take the jackets outside, I have done the BoB which I noted uses more than one colour of seam from the several jackets on a rack, a lightweight Irvin and the later war version.
IMG_1924.jpeg
IMG_1925.jpeg
IMG_1926.jpeg
IMG_1927.jpeg
IMG_1928.jpeg
IMG_1929.jpeg
IMG_1930.jpeg

Griffon_301

The fleece on the jackets in your pictures looks indeed different to the one both my ELC Irvins, the BoB as well as the 1942 pattern one, seem to have;
I got the 1942 pattern from a guy here in Austria who said he had purchased it several years ago, so I cannot say exactly how old it is;
the BoB Irvin I bought 6 years ago IIRC and it was personally selected by Rob, who was and is always a great help, a magnificent guy to deal with and a true gentleman whenever I needed something from the ELC Guys.
I cannot say how old my BoB is or when it was produced, it is one of the best and most loved jackets in my collection though and the reason why I have not put the hammer down on one of the few ANJ-4s that have shown up in the
Buy/Sell department here.
When its colder, I simply virtually live in my Irvins, whenever I go outside so the ANJ-4 would maybe get not much wear time, although I have to admit, Steve´s 44 size ANJ-4 really made me thinking about buying it. Thank god I dont know how it would fit as I have never tried a ANJ-4 in flesh...

John Lever

Hope this is of use to you John
As an aside i tried on an ANJ-4, the BoB Irvin and lightweight Irvin, if I was to buy one would be the lightweight as was super soft and comfy
I will also add my pics don’t really do there jackets justice as they are better in the flesh
Thanks very much.
Was the fleece of The BOB soft and silky ?

John Lever

My advice to anyone ordering would be to call to ask for a sample, then if satisfactory place the order by phone specifically stating that you want the exact same skins. I have found that batches vary and the results can be highly variable.
Images from the website are of no help.

Smithy

I have a "BoB" ELC which I ordered new from them in 2007. I've handled a few originals through a couple of mates and my work through an aviation museum and the 2007 era fleece and shell wears and ages to great impression of originals. I'll post a pic here if anyone is interested.

I personally couldn't stand the recent "crackly" shell that ELC used but their new iteration and especially in Jon's photos from a recent thread look awesome.

Another observation, you can see with originals in photos of newly issued jackets (and especially pre-war, early war jackets) that they often have a "plush" finish to the fleece which wore to the "pilled" (for want of a better term) finish with wear and exposure to weather, etc. I have a lot of unpublished and rare photos of 73 Sqn and especially Cobber Kain which bear this out with these early issued Irvins. It was one reason I was thrilled when I got my ELC Irvin and that it had that plush finish to the fleece which has with wear developed the pilled appearance to the fleece.

Top marks to ELC.