• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay to be totally PayPal, nothing else

Jason

I keep seeing the head of eBay Australia splashed in a banner at the top of ebay pages saying "we're changing". Never took much notice until I heard a radio interview - the changes are that eBay Australia are only going to permit PayPal as payment option. No postal money order, no bank transfer, no cheque - PayPal will be your only option. Period.

Whatever happened to ebay being the advertising meduim and the sale becomes a private treaty between two private people (who should then be able to agree on how to conduct their business without onerous impositions being made upon them)?

Bets on how long it takes this draconian attitude to spread to other ebays around the world?

taikonaut

Ebay needed serious competition from another rival online auction host. Their virtual monopoly is not helping sellers with their overcharging fees and payment method. People like Bill Gates, Richard Branson et all could setup a rival auction site and take them to the cleaners.

sgbailey2002

The new head of ebay has said that all of ebay will be Paypal only in the coming months, not just Australia. That will be the end of me on ebay, probably not a bad thing except for selling.

SGB

A

Anonymous

It is a bad f*cking thing, now the governments will have the ability to tax our f*cking ass and stick their f*cking ass in our f*cking business as f*cking usual F*CKKKKK .

sgbailey2002

MarkP40 said:
It is a bad f*cking thing, now the governments will have the ability to tax our f*cking ass and stick their f*cking ass in our f*cking business as f*cking usual FUCKKKKK .

Yes it is a bad thing, but not for me as a buyer as I buy too much, but as a seller it sucks since I don't use paypal and never will.

TankBuster

Ebay can do pretty much what they want, there aren't any alternatives right now. I normally just use paypal anyhow, so for me personally, it's not that big of a deal. I can see that people who make a living on Ebay will have some problems though. The new head of Ebay knows he's got a monopoly on the online auction world, and is going to use that to his benefit until some real competition steps up.

Hawkeye

whats to stop you from still sending out and recieving a cheque or money order by mail? Its not like ebay will have a hired goon threatening to break your wrist if you write a cheque. ;)

tamoko

In Switzerland, Germany or most other European/ Japanese country you need pay lot of money for "cheque".
This good work only in US, Canada, Australia.

John Lever

Paypal seems to be mainly used in English speaking countries. In Europe most sellers only take bank transfer. Unless there is a gradual transition, business will slow significantly in these countries. I think the reasons are to stop money laundering and terrorist type transfers and to levy a tax on members. Governments have mentioned this before. Ebay is truly a world market and not that closely regulated at the moment. Looks like it's about to change.
Only this last week I had to have a verified bank acc. as well as a cc. They want to have a concrete link between members and a bank account. Best place to buy and sell is here !

hacker

From what I read eBay has some new management, and it looks like things are only going to get worse!......I have slowly removed myself from doing much with eBay, and I totally detest Paypal :x ........Their new rules and procedures do nothing very well except protect eBay, and increase their profits........I don't begrudge a business from making a profit, but things have just simply deteriorated with the whole game.....by and large, I'll just pass on most of it......I don't see things getting better for eBay on its current path. I'm guessing they're in for a rude awakening.......time will tell......

Hacker

John Lever

hacker said:
From what I read eBay has some new management, and it looks like things are only going to get worse!......I have slowly removed myself from doing much with eBay, and I totally detest Paypal :x ........Their new rules and procedures do nothing very well except protect eBay, and increase their profits........I don't begrudge a business from making a profit, but things have just simply deteriorated with the whole game.....by and large, I'll just pass on most of it......I don't see things getting better for eBay on its current path. I'm guessing they're in for a rude awakening.......time will tell......

Hacker
Hope you are right ! If customers see them as too greedy, they may well have killed ' the golden goose'

Jason

Hawkeye said:
whats to stop you from still sending out and recieving a cheque or money order by mail? Its not like ebay will have a hired goon threatening to break your wrist if you write a cheque. ;)

There will be an 'electronic' goon hanging over your head. Remember PP & eBay are strongly linked. If you don't pay with PP, then eBay will know it, and show as an unpaid item and all the ramifications that go with that - even if you and the buyer/seller have agreed upon bank transfer or other method.

I normally use PayPal myself for overseas transactions, and I'm happy with their service so far... their charges are (to me) 'the cost of doing business' with another person in another country in another currency. Its convenient and competitive for sending funds overseas compared to, for example, international money orders. But for local transactions, its not so great - has a lot of drawbacks in comparison to other methods - slower, not as widely accepted, higher costs. And totally unnecessary.

I'm less pleased with ebay though - being a monopoly, and knowing it, as observed previously they can go about acting as a cyber-thug without fear of any official repercussions. There's little regulation of online trading, and none for cross-boarder international online trading.

For our little hobby, we can most definitely trade amongst ourselves. But we'd probably only have maybe 10% of the jackets out there - and I'm guessing a high percentage of the remainder would appear on eBay. To deny ourselves eBay would be to restrict ourselves to a small circle - especially to someone in my corner of the world where theres very few jackets available locally by 'word of mouth' or any other non-eBay route.

The root of the issue is that the consumer should have choice - its what set us apart from Communist Russia after all - and here we have a decision that harks back to the days of 'ol red uncle Joe. eBay & PayPal have become the totallitarian dictatorship of the Western democratic online world.

mazeta

I doubt this will ever happen in the U.S..
eBay will lose enough revenue over this from those who won't bother registering with PayPal to make them think twice.

sgbailey2002

mazeta said:
I doubt this will ever happen in the U.S..
eBay will lose enough revenue over this from those who won't bother registering with PayPal to make them think twice.

The new CEO has already said it is coming to the US in a few months, if the Australia deal works as he expects it to. I won't buy anymore and won't sell if I have to use only Paypal, and not be able to take credit cards as I do now.

SGB

asiamiles

I think such a move won't affect too many sellers who use eBay as a business platform, except they will lose a minority of buyers who don't/can't use Paypal. That said probably the world's premier seller of film posters (Bruce Hershenson) has announced that he will no longer be selling on eBay, so their recent changes re. higher fees and feedback are having an adverse affect. I do think it will deter some private sellers, and I do think eBay are helping people to see them in a dimmer and dimmer light; being told you can only use Paypal is not what we as individuals want to hear.