• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Jackets to France...- Paypal??

ausreenactor

Gents...

Has been four weeks since I shipped an eBay A-2 to the buyer in France. Item was sent Registered, with delivery confirmation attached (in theory the buyer signs and acknowledges receipt, slip posted to me Airmail). Has anyone had dramas with certain buyers from France. Note in many auctions that France is the "will not ship to" location. I have the Registered Post docket, the receipt for $72.00!! Now, if the buyer starts a dispute, given the documentation, am I still up Shit Creek?

In the event someone has had similar misfortune, PM me....please!!

Regards..

Couchy..

asiamiles

tcwu said:
The problem is their post offfice service suck!
It may be the post office not the buyer!
Did you get the receipt back yet?

The problem may well be their postal service, but the buyer will almost certainly be able to claim back their money from Paypal (after 4 weeks I'm very surprised they haven't done so already...perhaps they requested the item not be insured agreed not to claim in the case of any mishap?) and with Couchy not having sent the item insured he won't then be able to make a claim from Australia post, or whatever they're called down under.

I've sold a few jackets to France and not had any problems, but every time you send a valuable jacket not fully insured you are taking a slight risk.

les_garten

Hi,
I'm not really following what you are asking here.

1) What carrier was it shipped by?
2) Did you receive confirmation of delivery?
3) What did you tell the buyer up front about the expected delivery time?

I sent out a Ebay auction a about 6 years ago to Germany up US Postal service. It was Broadcast Audio processing equipment. The auction was somethin g like $6500. The buyer wanted the cheapest transport possible and that's how we ended up US Postal Service. He was amply warned. I told him not to even start complaining unless it had been two months. The buyer was in Germany, who usually has good postal service. I started a trace at 2 months time and he finally got it at 3 months. I was starting to sweat a little though.

ausreenactor

The Australia Post Registered Service will refund $100 as per the contained insurance and the shipping fee of $72.00. Australia Post have tracked it...Posted 8 Oct, Departed Australia 11 Oct, Received France 13 Oct. They can not track beyond that without the French postal service input. In the interim, cleared paypal account and telling the bank to can account access! I have kept every email from the bidder and the sent emails. 8 years on eBay and picked up weird vibe from the outset. Buyer had 2 megapixel pics of every part of the jacket, and was expecting not as described dispute in case of poor fit, changed mind etc. I have not received the confirmation, or I would be telling him and Paypal to PFFFT!!
Signed confirmation of delivery usually means it got delivered..I advised the seller 2 - 3 weeks is the norm. It has been 4 weeks. But given Christmas I would expect things are starting to ramp up..

My wife's sister did a 12 month student exchange in France and the mail there was woeful for the entire time she was there.

Could it have been yanked by customs as a War/Military item? I listed the item as a "used jacket". I know our guys often open up my flight suits and uniforms coming in when marked as Military Equipment etc..

Who knows..maybe this info and the fact they are now getting in touch with the French Postal Service may see the item "arrive" safely

Regards..

Couchy

asiamiles

les_garten said:
I sent out a Ebay auction a about 6 years ago to Germany up US Postal service. It was Broadcast Audio processing equipment. The auction was somethin g like $6500. The buyer wanted the cheapest transport possible and that's how we ended up US Postal Service. He was amply warned. I told him not to even start complaining unless it had been two months.

You can tell a buyer whatever you like, but with the current set at eBay/Paypal the buyer could open a dispute and claim back from you within a week of you shipping the item, and there's very little you can do about it...Paypal will ALWAYS side with the buyer.

asiamiles

ausreenactor said:
8 years on eBay and picked up weird vibe from the outset. Buyer had 2 megapixel pics of every part of the jacket, and was expecting not as described dispute in case of poor fit, changed mind etc. I have not received the confirmation, or I would be telling him and Paypal to PFFFT!!

I'm not sure what you're asking here, either. Has the buyer complained or put in a claim? Clearly it's worrying if the jacket hasn't arrived, but if he hasn't opened a dispute there's no need to start sweating...yet!

John Lever

asiamiles said:
les_garten said:
I sent out a Ebay auction a about 6 years ago to Germany up US Postal service. It was Broadcast Audio processing equipment. The auction was somethin g like $6500. The buyer wanted the cheapest transport possible and that's how we ended up US Postal Service. He was amply warned. I told him not to even start complaining unless it had been two months.

You can tell a buyer whatever you like, but with the current set at eBay/Paypal the buyer could open a dispute and claim back from you within a week of you shipping the item, and there's very little you can do about it...Paypal will ALWAYS side with the buyer.
Paypal now encourage the use of posting using a PP label printed off your own PC. That way at least the item is registered as being posted as it is scanned at the PO. Not sure if insurance is included though.
Is there a trend here ? Ebay... Paypal...Paypal post ..

jacketimp

so what's buyer's feedback history???

if i get bad vibes i'll just make an excuse about item being not avaialble due to some mishaps...like the cat shredded the jacket or something along the line............don't like to sweat in my jocks.........or lose my sleep.

ausreenactor

I have emailed La Poste(who knew) and awaiting response. I am not even sure if buyer has done that. Buyer feedback fine. Paypal have NEVER sided with me when I have claimed as a buyer, item not as described(bought off eBay - not eligible for buyer protection, with Class Action in the US following that up). But this was all before the no negatives and free for all that is Paybay. Hey...did I invent that...should trademark it..??

But La Poste can not track it, have not provided Australia Post with anything. Started the paper trail. But that is great...Lose the payment, and the jacket...$1100! Nice! Sold 12 jackets in the last two months and the only one missing is the Registered Mail with Delivery Confirmation...when there is doubt...there is no doubt!!

Will let karma, fate and the universe decide my fate...

Just sold my Jeep, so the jackets might just stay here from now on...Once bitten...

Thanks for the responses...

Couchy

bombs away

Hi Couchy,

As you may know I'm from France.
If you think I may help, please contact me.
I've had near 300 items shipped from many parts of the world to France and never had any problem. I just can remember that 2 or 3 items had a one month travel to arrive here from the USA (instead of the one week usual time), but no parcel has been lost.
I can try to contact the buyer or la Poste.

All the best,

Tim.

ausreenactor

Tim..

Merci!! Appreciate it...I will give the buyer a chance to follow up on the info provided. I may PM you in the coming days though. Very reassuring post! Thanks again!!

Couchy

ausreenactor

Australia Post won't touch the Paypal stuff...

Factual support to the belief some items to France can take time is enough for me!

Couchy

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tcwu said:
Also I did not understand why DHL is the carrier in Germany for USPS EMS mail.

In 1998, Deutsche Post began to acquire shares in DHL, finally reached majority ownership in 2001, and completed the purchase in 2002. Deutsche Post then effectively absorbed DHL into its Express division while expanding the use of the trademark to other Deutsche Post divisions, business units and subsidiaries. Today, the original DHL has ceased to exist as a separate entity. However, there are several Deutsche Post subsidiaries carrying the DHL brand such as DHL International GmbH, DHL Global Forwarding GmbH or DHL Airways GmbH.

rpmooreii

I had a similar problem with a jacket that I shipped to France. The buyer said it never arrived and paypal refunded his entire payment (incl. shipping). The USPS tracked it to France and could not track any further so they would accept my insurance claim and I was out almost $600. About two months later the jacket arrived on my door step...the box looked like it had been through a war but it had not been opened. The jacket was fine and the address was correct. I have no idea why it didn't get to the buyer but it apparently did not. For awhile after that I did not sell to non-US buyers but then started selling ww again and have not had a problem. I hope your situation resolves itself.

...Roger

ausreenactor

It has happened...45 days...$576 from the Paypal account! Item arrived in France on Oct 13 and that is as far as Australia Post can track it. Sent the receipt and Registered Docket/Delivery Confirmation to Paypal. La Poste have not responded to me in two weeks. Buyer had not emailed in over a week. I have hounded him for an investigation reference number. I am not sure he has done anything more than type it into the La Poste search engine. So that is it. EMS shipping only now for any future sales. Never a drama until now. Nine years..Three items out of 1500 went astray coming my way, two probably never sent, and the third went back to seller and then all the way to Australia again. So nearly AU$900 and minus the best repro I ever had!

Couchy is over eBay...never thought I would say that!

Two jackets just rocked up from Hirotake as well. My L-2A and second Oldin-Dennis..

Regards..

Couchy

Andrew

ausreenactor said:
It has happened...45 days...$576 from the Paypal account! Item arrived in France on Oct 13 and that is as far as Australia Post can track it. Sent the receipt and Registered Docket/Delivery Confirmation to Paypal. La Poste have not responded to me in two weeks. Buyer had not emailed in over a week. I have hounded him for an investigation reference number. I am not sure he has done anything more than type it into the La Poste search engine. So that is it. EMS shipping only now for any future sales.

Couchy

That really sucks.

For the uninitiated how does EMS solve the problem?

ausreenactor

G'day..

EMS offers both the seller and the buyer online visibility. Does not afford it any extra protection from loss so to speak, or an inept local postie who has never seen an Australia Post delivery confirmation docket. But does say when it was signed for, and by who. Proof enough for anyone.

I believe I have some Seller Protection via Paypal. Whether it applies who knows. I have sent of the scan of the Registered Docket and have the receipt for same here. And the Australia Post investigation Reference. How much evidence do paypal need to dip into their own pockets? Probably more than acknowledgement item was in France Oct 13th.

Couchy..

asiamiles

EMS also offers insurance (it includes basic insurance upto nearly US$200 and you can pay for extra), so if the jacket is lost you can claim back the declared value.

I think Paypal require proof that the item arrived at the address it was shipped to. If an item got lost, they'll consider that your problem; of course, it should be the problem of the buyer who presumably elected not to pay for EMS shipping and insurance.

asiamiles

tcwu said:
USPS's EMS comes with only $100 free insurance.

From Japan and Hong Kong it's around $200. Extra insurance is quite cheap in Japan (presumably very few claims) while in HK it's quite expensive.