• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don’t remember this!

Pa12

What. O
An interesting item... of no particular reference to "issue," but still interesting:
What contract do you think that is?

Pa12

You'll have to ask someone more familiar with contracts than me.

But I find it interesting that a FSSF vet worried about a government tag and cut it out. ;)
Yes. I must have read something about this in the past as the arrow head insignia looks very familiar to me.

B-Man2

An interesting item... of no particular reference to "issue," but still interesting:
Check out the selling price $7500. I think that’s what “Price Realized” means.
Interesting conversation. At this price I can see a few con artists buying original A2s for $1800-$2000 and having them painted and aged to look like a FSSF jacket and selling them off for a big profit .

B-Man2

Yes. I must have read something about this in the past as the arrow head insignia looks very familiar to me.
maybe you watched the movie “Devils Brigade “ with William Holden . It was all about the exploits of that unit .

Pa12

maybe you watched the movie “Devils Brigade “ with William Holden . It was all about the exploits of that unit .
That must be it. Certainly out of my price range but if it’s real I’d sooner it was on display in a museum.

jack31916

One special for B-Man2. ( seen on Facebook today )

Jacket belonged to Major Gordon K. Smith of the 507 Parachute Infantry

1703965406950.jpeg

Monsoon

Okay. What does it tell us?
Exactly what you're looking for. Says that they were issued A-2s. Officers kept theirs but enlisted had to turn them in if they left the FSSF.

Book might be available at your local library. That's where I first read it before I bought a copy.

Dumpster D

I can see a few con artists buying original A2s for $1800-$2000 and having them painted and aged to look like a FSSF jacket and selling them off for a big profit .
...And did you see that Ebay MK IV Irvin listed about a week or two ago?!?!?!?? Looked like someone gave it the 'EL LOBO II' A-2 Paint Job (as featured in the WWII collectibles book) and was trying for $4500 plus about 140 shipping USD with the dumb nerve calling it 'original'. Then it suddenly vanished into the ethers overnight. The title and description was vague enough for the seller to have easily weaseled his way out of it and pleaded ignorance when the jig was up and before the paint was even dry.

Yeah, nice little game of fast ball, but no dice brother. Really hope some poor schmuck didn't fall for that old gag.

Easy money? Yeah not so much.

I spotted that abomination like it was the 'Monkey Christ' restored fresco.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Ok I have the answer about the A2’s .
When Col Robert Fredrick was given the order to put together the First Special Service Force by Gen Eisenhower he was also given full approval to requisition whatever supplies and equipment that he deemed necessary to do the job . So that’s why they had A2 jackets .
You can learn about the unit here .

Last edited:

Chandler

Exactly what you're looking for. Says that they were issued A-2s. Officers kept theirs but enlisted had to turn them in if they left the FSSF.

Book might be available at your local library. That's where I first read it before I bought a copy.
Big request, but can you transcribe the section? I'd like to see how it's worded -- how they explain why they were "issued" flight jackets. Maybe snap a pic?

The part about officers keeping them is contrary to what's been recorded about AAF crews having to turn them in (or not ;)).

Sorry, yeah -- I'm skeptical until I see harder evidence of "issued" flight jackets. I started re-reading one book* I own with an eye on equipment and kit requisition anecdotes.

And I looked through my library network (we can borrow books from a wide radius), no one has it -- and the price tag on that book isn't attractive.

*"A Perfect Hell" by John Nadler, FWIW.

Last edited:

Chandler

...he was also given full approval to requisition whatever supplies and equipment that he deemed necessary to do the job.
Necessary to do the job? :p

Or necessary to boost morale? I haven't seen any FSSF members wearing A-2s in the field -- hardly a ground force item of outerwear.

I can't watch the vids yet Burt, but do they address the jackets directly?

Shanghai-Mayne

Necessary to do the job? :p

Or necessary to boost morale? I haven't seen any FSSF members wearing A-2s in the field -- hardly a ground force item of outerwear.

I can't watch the vids yet Burt, but do they address the jackets directly?
Necessary for dry cold environments ( it was an arctic warfare unit), useless in wet cold environments.
For morale , their unique dagger is the most powerful boost.

Shanghai-Mayne

Try it sometime. Not very flexible and not very optimal in a ground combat situation.
I tried it, work well when I am moving , didn’t feel over warm at all.
And agree with later part, the force was fought in Aleutian during May- Aug 1943, they certainly don’t need such setup.