• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don’t remember this!

jack31916

Just a few pics of the First Special Service Force or FSSF or Devil's Brigade. You can find a few good websites on the internet.

I believe that all members of this special unit received A-2 jackets during training.

Shanghai-Mayne

B-Man2

Thanks SM and Jack … I stand corrected.
Very interesting photos that show not only enlisted and non coms US but also enlisted and non coms Canadians wearing A2 jackets.
Well done guys !

B-Man2

Seeing is believing… there it is in black and white . Hard to refute photographs. They stand up in court so……. I have to believe it.
First time I’ve ever heard of non coms and enlisted outside of the U.S. Army Air Force being issued A2’s . Now I think the question becomes if they issued them to those guys …. Why didn’t they issue them to enlisted and non coms in the 101st and 82nd ?
Anyone have more photos? ;)

Shanghai-Mayne

Believe is one thing, source(s) to corroborate?

I guess the question is why? Why would they all be issued A-2s?

I'm still leaning to the "midnight requisitions." ;)
It’s more easier to find information about their specific needs gear, i.e. their parka, backpack or dagger.

Chandler

Seeing is believing… there it is in black and white . Hard to refute photographs. They stand up in court so……. I have to believe it.
I don't refute them having the jackets (obviously), I refute issuing a flight jacket to (basically) ground troops.

I honestly think those guys worked the system because they knew the A-2 was too cool -- just like everyone who wanted jump boots.

Well hell, just like us! :)

Monsoon

Shanghai-Mayne

First time I’ve ever heard of non coms and enlisted outside of the U.S. Army Air Force being issued A2’s . Now I think the question becomes if they issued them to those guys …. Why didn’t they issue them to enlisted and non coms in the 101st and 82nd ?
Anyone have more photos? ;)
Burt,
Most possible, FSSF commanders requested (fabric) waist high windproof jacket for parachute training /operation. QM unable to provide that, due to high product cost or low priority at manufacturing facilities (they only need 2000 pieces in total). Finally they get A2s , as it’s only item fulfilled their demand and available any time.
Late, that force never conducted any airborne operation, nobody needs waist high jacket anymore.

B-Man2

Burt,
Most possible, FSSF commanders requested (fabric) waist high windproof jacket for parachute training /operation. QM unable to provide that, due to high product cost or low priority at manufacturing facilities (they only need 2000 pieces in total). Finally they get A2s , as it’s only item fulfilled their demand and available any time.
Late, that force never conducted any airborne operation, nobody needs waist high jacket anymore.
SM
This has been an interesting discussion. I’m not sure why the FSSF would need that particular type of clothing for training, as none of the other airborne qualified units or the airborne training facility at Fort Benning never requisitioned that type of clothing for training purposes but … I guess it’s possible .

Shanghai-Mayne

as none of the other airborne qualified units or the airborne training facility at Fort Benning never requisitioned that type of clothing for training purposes but … I guess it’s possible .
Burt,
US army created that force , for arctic warfare (at very beginning) plus they need insertion into their operation area with parachutes. As result army allowed them request what they thought it gonna work, and prove (and disprove ) that during training exercises.
Other paratrooper regts, they are not designed for arctic warfare, so army offer less budget for their garments requirement.

Chandler

An interesting item... of no particular reference to "issue," but still interesting:

Pa12

An interesting item... of no particular reference to "issue," but still interesting:
Very cool.