• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don’t remember this!

johnwayne

Been a while since I watched Band of Brothers but don’t recall this ‘pop up’ I had today on FB!
Incidentally I note too how ELC are plugging their input on their site as suppliers to the much discussed Masters of the Air, due soon!!
32B8FE94-C1CD-4622-AD4C-90A0A05815E4.jpeg
In

Chandler

Anyone in the Army who flew in planes as part of their job description was cleared to be issued an A-2 (or other FJ) -- including paratroopers. Maj. Winters isn't breaking any regulations -- many images of paratroopers in WW2 wearing A-2s.

Many scenes of paratroopers wearing flight jackets in Band of Brothers -- check out General McAuliffe in the Bastogne episode.

Last edited:

johnwayne

Ironically me starting this thread, my original Dubow 27798 has stitch holes that suggest it was once owned by an 82nd Airborne guy. It’s the square with the arc above on the left breast above the pocket where the squadron patch normally goes and given its size, I don’t see it could be anything else. Did contemplate getting an original patch to retro fit but crazy money for what it is plus hitting same stitch holes a bit above my ability with a needle!!

Chandler

Yep .. spot on with NCOs in bombers but that was the Army Air Corp.
Just thinking about other ranks in the AAF -- weren't there a lot of fighter pilots who were Warrant Officers? So, not really officers, per se, but issued A-2s (just thinking beyond bomber crews).

Didn't Yeager start out just below Second Lieutenant?

Pa12

Just thinking about other ranks in the AAF -- weren't there a lot of fighter pilots who were Warrant Officers? So, not really officers, per se, but issued A-2s (just thinking beyond bomber crews).

Didn't Yeager start out just below Second Lieutenant?
I think you’re right. Also seen lots of liaison pilots in a-2s. Weren’t most of them sargents?

B-Man2

All true but …. I thought we were talking about paratroopers ? Paratroop enlisted and NCOs were never issued A2’s . Only officers .
Of course that doesn’t mean that they couldn’t be traded for or private purchased but they were not authorized for those guys .

Shanghai-Mayne

All true but …. I thought we were talking about paratroopers ? Paratroop enlisted and NCOs were never issued A2’s . Only officers .
Of course that doesn’t mean that they couldn’t be traded for or private purchased but they were not authorized for those guys .
Enlist-men in FSSF issued A2s.

Chandler

I don’t ever remember seeing a 1SSF enlisted guy or non com wearing an A2 other than in the movies.
I can't remember the book I read on the FSSF* that really got into the troubles they had outfitting their unit at the beginning -- but there was a lot of "midnight requisition" going on. ;)

*Sorry, I need to correct myself -- that was a book on the founding of the WW2 Rangers I was remembering. I have another book on the FSSF, "A Perfect Hell," I need to re-read for some reference.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I can't remember the book I read on the FSSF that really got into the troubles they had outfitting their unit at the beginning -- but there was a lot of "midnight requisition" going on. ;)
A little off the subject but…
When the 1SSF was first recruited and sent to their training area in Montana there was nothing there. They had to build their own barracks and support areas and infrastructure. In the process of doing that they used all of the “innovative procurement skills” that their unscrupulous members possessed. So I’m sure a few of them acquired A2 jackets … but once again … they weren’t issued to the enlisted or non coms .
I’m not trying to be OCD about it, so I’ve been searching the web trying to find some but nada .

Pa12

A little off the subject but…
When the 1SSF was first recruited and sent to their training area in Montana there was nothing there. They had to build their own barracks and support areas and infrastructure. In the process of doing that they used all of the “innovative procurement skills” that their unscrupulous members possessed. So I’m sure a few of them acquired A2 jackets … but once again … they weren’t issued to the enlisted or non coms .
I’m not trying to be OCD about it, so I’ve been searching the web trying to find some but nada .
Sounds reminiscent of the dirty dozen.