• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you know what it is yet ?

John Lever

bseal said:
How interesting. I emailed Gary directly and he said to me that they do not make that jacket?! I even attached pictures of their 1944 Irvin.

Oh to be a VIP like Mr. Lever.
Steve,
He said the same to me[ via e-mail] two minutes after I spoke to Rob and Allan about the one I bought. He didn't know he had one in stock.[ I was quite pi***d off at the time as a matter of fact]
They are going to have them on the site at the same price as the '42 pattern. Just call and speak to them in person. I get the feeling Gary gets bogged down with messages.

jacketimp

John Lever said:
deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
Got it !!

.... now we can talk about the prize. :p
The prize is the prophesy that I made when I first wrote the post. You are confirmed as the brain of the forum, or brian as my daughter used to say.
The only thing that remains now is to actually get the jacket as it seems to have disappeared within the Royal Mail somewhere.
Pic's when it's here.

john,

you ordered a jacket that gary says is non-existent?......some confusion i'm sure!

havocpaul

Have to say I'm well confused but maybe it's the medication! They have previously made a few 'multi-panel' late-war Irvins as test jackets in years gone by, is this what's being discussed cryptically (or shall I go back to the crypt!)

jacketimp

havocpaul said:
Have to say I'm well confused but maybe it's the medication! They have previously made a few 'multi-panel' late-war Irvins as test jackets in years gone by, is this what's being discussed cryptically (or shall I go back to the crypt!)

guess i'm not alone.......time for my medication too......

John Lever

havocpaul said:
Paul,
They have always made these jackets but have never advertised them on the website. They are made from small pieces left over from the manufacture of the BoB version.
I have had one before, about two years ago. I had asked for the vintage skin but it came in the 1940 type hide, so I sent it back, which I very much regret now.
The one still in the Fedex van some where is made from the new dull hide with the caramel coloured wool.
I think Gary's reticence to answer questions stems from the fact that he does not want to appear to be making custom jackets of any type at all. Once I post some photos which I hope to do soon, I think the number of enquiries will spur Gary into ' coming out ' about the jacket.

BTW Aero do a similar thing. They make a British WW2 leather Jerkin but have never advertised it.
The pattern of the jacket is very similar to this one -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0387011833

havocpaul

Thanks John, as I guessed. They did once put one on their 'sale' page and I was tempted, I personally prefer these late-war jackets to the early style Irvins, it would make good sense for them to start making them permanently as nothing wasted. I would also like them to re-style their AAF 'vest' which has way too wide shoulders compared to originals, I once asked if they could put a B-3 pocket on one so I could use it for early morning dog walking but was told 'no custom jackets'..The Few do one like that which looks good. I am surprised FedEx have failed to deliver as usually it's next day from Eastman...looking forward to the pics!

John Lever

havocpaul said:
Thanks John, as I guessed. They did once put one on their 'sale' page and I was tempted, I personally prefer these late-war jackets to the early style Irvins, it would make good sense for them to start making them permanently as nothing wasted. I would also like them to re-style their AAF 'vest' which has way too wide shoulders compared to originals, I once asked if they could put a B-3 pocket on one so I could use it for early morning dog walking but was told 'no custom jackets'..The Few do one like that which looks good. I am surprised FedEx have failed to deliver as usually it's next day from Eastman...looking forward to the pics!
I spoke to Gary yesterday to ask where my jacket was and although I could hear hammering of leather in the background, he told me no one was there to check if my jacket had been sent out or not.
I think it had been at his home for photographing and it not been sent out on Weds. as promised and had probably just left the factory on Friday.
Why not get Aero to make you a vest? They will do custom work but you need patience.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I spoke to Gary yesterday to ask where my jacket was and although I could hear hammering of leather in the background, he told me no one was there to check if my jacket had been sent out or not.

... perhaps you'd called during band practice.

rich

John Lever said:

or maybe they finally kidnapped Rottenhahn..................

jacketimp

if you're not happy with customer service you could start a thread......why i'm never gonna pop ELC ever again

I think it had been at his home for photographing and it not been sent out on Weds. as promised and had probably just left the factory on Friday.

must be tre's tre's unique...quote]

Vcruiser

rich said:
John Lever said:

or maybe they finally kidnapped Rottenhahn..................

They'd surely live to regret it...! :D

Hawkeye

Thats exciting news John, I cant wait to see your new jacket. Kind of dashes my hopes a bit though, I was hoping for another run of "cheap" multi-panel Irvins in the re-issue depot, but its still good news that they plan on selling them as a regular item, even if they are the same price as the 42 pattern.

John Lever

It's here.
The hide is a very pleasing mid brown, is very matt and also very soft. The wool colour is the best yet from Eastman, a warm caramel/honey with just a slight curl.
The fit is the same as the other versions and the panels are not too over the top.
Great jacket, great pattern, buy one.
IMGP2738.jpg

IMGP2737.jpg

IMGP2739.jpg

IMGP2740.jpg

IMGP2741.jpg

IMGP2742.jpg

IMGP2744.jpg

IMGP2745.jpg

IMGP2746.jpg

IMGP2743.jpg