• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deluded and rude sellers

Roughwear

I'm sure many people here have contacted a seller on Ebay and enlightened him or her about what they are selling. Last night a delightful person was selling a jacket which he described thus;

Autentic Royal Flying Corps leather flying jacket

Leather fur lined (beaver) mens Jacket size M

Worn in WW1

A genuine vintage item

happy to answer any questions on its history

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

I explained to him it was an Irvin flying jacket from 1941-3 and his reply was typical of some of the more interesting characters selling on ebay!

The jacket was issued to my father when he joined the Royal Flying Corps in 1914. Get a life and annoy someone else!

I had a good laugh over his emotive language!

Persimmon

Andrew,
As I have no life either I thought I would send him a message too.
Pointing out the error of his ways.
I look forward to a similar reply !!

What a plonker !!

Silver Surfer

one crappy pic, that wont enlarge, no size, no nothing, except attitude. must have studied at lost worlds u., majoring in stu.

deand

Checked the listing and noticed:

1) Couldn't enlarge the photo, or zoom on it.

2) The seller has no feedback.

3) Doesn't list any questions asked.

He certainly picked the wrong fellow to be rude to, Andrew, and if he is so certain of his item, he doesn't display it well, is ashamed to post his replies to questions asked, nor is this an auspicious beginning to his selling career. Can you even be sure what jacket you'd get? Beaver lined? Ebay is a never ending source of amazement, isn't it?

dean

dmar836

It is amazing how strongly people hold onto family stories no matter how implausible they might be. For him to respond as some type of expert, though clearly in the wrong, is the sign of a pathetic little person.
I wrote too but was actually nice.
Dave

Roughwear

It will be interesting to what sort of reply Alan and Dave get from the seller. I'm still awaiting a reply to the detailed response I made to his ignorant comment. The more people who contact him the greater the chance of the auction being corrected.

dmar836

In all honesty, he might not know the differences between WWI and WWII. Seriously.
I might expect that of a 20-something American whose grandfather served. But he sounds older as he claims it was his father.
I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt - that he isn't rude, he's an ignorant idiot.

RCSignals

maybe he's confused his father and his issue jacket (RAF 1941) with his Grandfather RFC 1914 and applied the latter to the former.

Beaver lined huh? :lol:

Once, at an airshow, a militaria seller was displaying (but not selling) his fathers "Flying Tigers, AVG" patch, carefully displayed with photos of the real AVG. Unfortunately, the patch was actually a USAAF 14th AF Patch, machine made, and definitely NOT an AVG patch. He was absolutely certain that his dad was one of the "original AVG Flying Tigers" and would not be dissuaded, no matter how much logic or how many facts were presented. Perhaps this seller is the same guy ? ;-)

Dan

m444uk

b-413953-Beaver_Animal.jpg

CCoFJkgEGkKGrHqNlUEzyFwkbBNLNMZc10_.jpg

dmar836

I once obtained a glider pilot's uniform from a co-worker. She then brought out a faded M1943 jacket that belonged to "her uncle who was killed in Belgium in late '44." I checked the label and it was dated '45. I suggested to her that it likely belonged to his brother, the glider pilot, and just got separated. She insisted it had belonged to the deceased uncle despite the fact it was manufactured months after his death.
I will clarify such things to people once then let it go. I can't remember anyone changing their story so it's no use ruining their family story.
My own family told me a great, great, great uncle and family were killed in the Civil War by Sherman's men during his "march to the sea" and that an aunt still had a dresser the soldiers kicked over - complete with hobnail boot marks! First, hobnailed boots? And add to that, this family lived in rural Illinois. Ironically, this dresser still exists but has been refinished. The marks are gone but the story remains. I have been quite verbal at every opportunity about the impossibility of the story.
We likely all have such family lore that may or may not be true.
Imagine the stories imagined by those Ebay sellers who know nothing of history. May explain some of the ridiculous pricing.

Dave

zoomer

Of course, what does some random yuk off the intertubes know about YOUR cherished family history? That's REAL history - not something some edumacated types read in a book. So what if you mixed it up - or they made it up?

Unfortunately, that's about where it stands with certain people, and they can be very proud in their ignorance.

Stony

I was talking to a gal on the phone that had her father's navy flight jacket for sale and he said he wore it during WWII. I had her read me what was on the label, and when she said the spec was a 7823 and had "G-1" on it, I told her it was impossible because that model was made after 1951. She put the phone down and told her dad what I said and he starting yelling at her and insisted that he wore during WWII. When I told her he was wrong and was probably issued another jacket after the war and just forgot, he starting yelling at her again and she started crying. I felt terrible for her and apologized for upsetting her father and her.