• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMPARING TWO ORIGINAL B-3S

Roughwear

I have owned this superb size 42 B-3 from the no-name 42-21700-P contract (1942) for the last six years and more recently it has been joined by a very nice size 42 redskin B-3 from the no-name AC 17812 (1941) contract. Studying both jackets carefully they might be from the same as yet unidentified maker. I have posted a number of pictures of both jackets. Allowing for the obvious differences in terms of finish and the fact that the redskin is a 3rd version B-3 and the seal jacket a 4th version, are they by the same maker?

42-21700-P
002.jpg

AC 17812
001.jpg

026.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

012.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

025.jpg

024.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

019.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

John Lever

Two beautiful jackets. I could almost be persuaded to start collecting originals. They do look similar apart from the back panels.

TankBuster

Those are some great B-3's Andrew! There's not much better than a original B-3 in excellent shape! Finding original cloth and shearling in excellent shape is way more of a chore than finding a nice original A-2.

767fo

John Lever said:
Two beautiful jackets. I could almost be persuaded to start collecting originals. They do look similar apart from the back panels.
John, Your new Eastman is a dead ringer for Andrews redskin. Those are two very nice jackets Andrew!!

John Lever

767fo said:
John Lever said:
John, Your new Eastman is a dead ringer for Andrews redskin. Those are two very nice jackets Andrew!!
That's very kind, but the fleece colour on my jacket is too dark.

Falcon_52

That seems like a plausible theory, Andrew. I find it interesting the way the bottom collar strap keeper is sewn on the exact same way with a series a stitches over itself on either side. Is this peculiar to these jackets or were other contracts like this also? I don't recall any but I guess I wasn't paying attention to that particular area.

Noel

dujardin

yes, two great jackets.
my favorite is the AC-17812; his russet colour is magnificent

congrats

marcel

Persimmon

Andrew,
Thank you for showing the comparision between the two B3 jackets.
Whilst I know nothing about this style it is wonderful to see the differences especially the back panels.
Are all B3's different in this way?
Was this due to a specific (mis) understanding of the contract or was it what skins and their sizes were available at certain parts of the war ?

My preference is certainly for the Redskin version.
How much heavy are they to wear than a A2 ?

Both these jackets appear to be shiny especially the Redskin.
Do you have less shiny B3's and if so what is your preference.
Ideally I would like to see a comparision between a shiny and non shiny version side by side.

Thanks for posting

Roughwear

Persimmon said:
Andrew,
Thank you for showing the comparision between the two B3 jackets.
Whilst I know nothing about this style it is wonderful to see the differences especially the back panels.
Are all B3's different in this way?
Was this due to a specific (mis) understanding of the contract or was it what skins and their sizes were available at certain parts of the war ?

My preference is certainly for the Redskin version.
How much heavy are they to wear than a A2 ?

Both these jackets appear to be shiny especially the Redskin.
Do you have less shiny B3's and if so what is your preference.
Ideally I would like to see a comparision between a shiny and non shiny version side by side.

Thanks for posting

Alan,

Pre-1942 B-3s had a two piece back and were generally made from veg tanned sheepskin and the coating was applied by hand.Those made in 1942-3 had a three piece back as on my seal B-3 and were usually chrome tanned, spray finished in order to speed up production during the War. The photos were taken in the sun and actually have more shine in the photos than they do in the flesh! I have owned many B-3s over the years and the degree of shine varied quite a bit. They are much heavier that A-2s and are similar in weight to an Irvin.