• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

blackrat2

I have a pair also, same as Smithy with elasticated sides, I find them more comfy than RM’s and a fair bit cheaper
I have to say I didn’t know they did lace ups , they look good Jeff might have a look on eBay

Cocker

Hey guys, I'd need to go for a resole of my QMI roughouts soon. Do any of you know where to fetch the correct sole pattern in Europe?

Smithy

I've seen a few offering replacement soles Cedric but can't comment on any as i haven't had to do it yet. ATF recommend Cindarella Shoes and Repairs but they're in the States.

CombatWombat

I have a pair also, same as Smithy with elasticated sides, I find them more comfy than RM’s and a fair bit cheaper
I have to say I didn’t know they did lace ups , they look good Jeff might have a look on eBay
Blundestones used to be phenomenal years ago.......nowadays they use a sole that's susceptible to hydrolysis, TPU soles tend to get mircofractures if you store them for abit.
I find Redbacks better for my "duck feet" (wide toe splay with high forefoot and narrow ankles)

ZuZu

I've still got a pair of Blunnies but the usual elastic sided pull on boots Jeff.

Most Aussie blokes in Oz have a pair of them for work boots. Not as good as RM Williams but good kick around boots.
I have the elastic side ones too. Both are great boots- they kind of put the 8 pound resoleable premium boots to shame as far as actual work boots. I had Redbacks too- lace up and side elastic.

The boutique boot thing is like our jacket thing- it's rooted in fantasy and nostalgia. Practically it makes no sense.

Grant

Blundestones used to be phenomenal years ago.......nowadays they use a sole that's susceptible to hydrolysis, TPU soles tend to get mircofractures if you store them for abit.
I find Redbacks better for my "duck feet" (wide toe splay with high forefoot and narrow ankles)

I wear Blundstones for work and fun (steel toe and regular). They're super comfortable, but the heels and soles wear down easily and eventually crack.
For me, being able to re-sole my Red Wings and keep on wearing them is better than adding to a land fill.

ZuZu

I wear Blundstones for work and fun (steel toe and regular). They're super comfortable, but the heels and soles wear down easily and eventually crack.
For me, being able to re-sole my Red Wings and keep on wearing them is better than adding to a land fill.
Yeah- my Dad wore the same pair of Red Wing Irish Setters all his life- probably resoled them at least twice- maybe thrice. He was a professor but his field (Plant Pathology) called for a lot of field work to which he wore his Red Wings. Old school.

Cocker

I've seen a few offering replacement soles Cedric but can't comment on any as i haven't had to do it yet. ATF recommend Cindarella Shoes and Repairs but they're in the States.

Oh, regarding the cobbler, no worries, I have it covered! There's a little one near me, very old school, doing amazing things with shoes, boots, horse and motorbike saddles, luggages, whatever you want! I'm really just after the correct sole itself to give 'em for replacing mine.

DylanDog

Having had both I’d never go back to Blundstones. Redbacks are definitely far more comfortable, harder wearing and more reasonably priced.
They are also still made in Australia, whereas Blundstone moved production of most of their boots overseas to China, Vietnam, India, Mexico and Thailand.
Blundstones might be seen as the more fashionable (which could explain the higher prices) however around where I am Redbacks are by far the most popular choice for those who actually wear boots for work, which is mainly farming/agriculture.

Smithy

Blundestones used to be phenomenal years ago.......nowadays they use a sole that's susceptible to hydrolysis

I agree Wombat, my first pair from the late 80s, early 90s lasted forever. The newer ones aren't as good but are OK for knocking around in so long as you get them on special or a sale.

In terms of pull on boots I'd still pick RMs over everything. Yup they cost more and some styles are more dressy but you can resole them again and again. My first pair got resoled twice and only gave up the ghost in the leather cracking from extremes of hot and cold from living in Arctic Norway, South America and Oz. Bloody terrific boots.

tjoenn

My favorite boots, wear them almost every day during fall, winter, spring - in sun, rain, snow...

boot1.jpg

CombatWombat

In terms of pull on boots I'd still pick RMs over everything. Yup they cost more and some styles are more dressy but you can resole them again.
Haha!
I actually hate RM Williams with a passion......the leather cracks around my pinky toe in the 4 pairs I've had.
For that more dressy look I wear Baxter's, which make the same styles but in a leather that (for me) hasn't been a problem.