• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Smithy

As long as you get the sizing right and are prepared to undertake some serious breaking in I don't think you will regret it Tim. Good, well made traditional footwear of a type that would have been made by literally hundreds, possibly thousands of provincial makers up and down the UK years ago..

Interesting short BBC documentary looking at the William Lennon factory..

Splendid wee doco that. Thanks for posting Steve. Makes me want to buy and support them even more.

Smithy

Quite a lot online about them Tim, do a Google image search too:)

I've been twiddling the knobs on the computer all day about them Steve and been looking at pictures galore! What utter eye candy.

Can't believe I haven't ordered from them before but I'm ashamed to say I completely forgot about them. That fellow I knew over on TFL who sang their praises disappeared yonks ago and as such I forgot about them. I can remember him telling me (after I mentioned that I might need some new boots) to forget RWs and all the rest of them and just order a pair of William Lennons.

It was only the discussion in this thread which reminded me.

Just trying to decide on what boot to go for which isn't easy as there's about 4 styles that I'm salivating over!

Micawber

I've been twiddling the knobs on the computer all day about them Steve and been looking at pictures galore! What utter eye candy.

Can't believe I haven't ordered from them before but I'm ashamed to say I completely forgot about them. That fellow I knew over on TFL who sang their praises disappeared yonks ago and as such I forgot about them. I can remember him telling me (after I mentioned that I might need some new boots) to forget RWs and all the rest of them and just order a pair of William Lennons.

It was only the discussion in this thread which reminded me.

Just trying to decide on what boot to go for which isn't easy as there's about 4 styles that I'm salivating over!
Good luck with whatever ones you choose, I hope they live up to expectations!

CombatWombat

I love the Ammo Boots!
(my only customisation were leather lining and cut down by an eyelet)
I've also got their "Canadian Boot" coming in a rough side undyed horsehide that's 8 eyelets high with a Itshide Commando sole......going to be a chore breaking them in, but will be a fantastic camping/hiking boot.
I think the biggest problem for them is just how small a concern they are and their website is all "glitz and glam" like a lot of places are these days

CombatWombat

Wait, what? Did you just use dressy and Iron Rangers in the same sentence?

Om9rmKx.jpg
Haha yeah I did......
I used to have a Japanese market pair that were in a blacket leather with a slimmed down Oxford toe cap.....I miss them greatly

Micawber

I love the Ammo Boots!
(my only customisation were leather lining and cut down by an eyelet)
I've also got their "Canadian Boot" coming in a rough side undyed horsehide that's 8 eyelets high with a Itshide Commando sole......going to be a chore breaking them in, but will be a fantastic camping/hiking boot.
I think the biggest problem for them is just how small a concern they are and their website is all "glitz and glam" like a lot of places are these days

Their website was updated not that long ago, prior to that it was a little more basic. I’m not sure of the number of employees that they have, granted it is a small concern but I don’t think it’s quite as bare bones as shown in the video. Anyway, just look at JC at GW and the quality of work he produces.

CombatWombat

Their website was updated not that long ago, prior to that it was a little more basic. I’m not sure of the number of employees that they have, granted it is a small concern but I don’t think it’s quite as bare bones as shown in the video. Anyway, just look at JC at GW and the quality of work he produces.
When I was trying to order through it.......it was like a website of the early to mid 00's o_O
I'm just glad I jumped on them before they were "found" by this lovely lot of blokes......the waiting list will jump up afew months lol

Micawber

When I was trying to order through it.......it was like a website of the early to mid 00's o_O
I'm just glad I jumped on them before they were "found" by this lovely lot of blokes......the waiting list will jump up afew months lol

Ah, you could always buy surplus ex British army ammo boots. Loads available in the UK, some even bulled;) Shipping would be a bit steep for you down under though.

CombatWombat

Ah, you could always buy surplus ex British army ammo boots. Loads available in the UK, some even bulled;) Shipping would be a bit steep for you down under though.
Lol oh I already have a pair of those bloody bastards!
Can't walk in them......can't run in them and they feel like phone books strapped to my feet ;)
(They were my first re-enactment boots, then I found our army boots were vastly different at that same time period but they came NOS and I could get them in my proper size )
As a side note......I know how to "Bull" boots, but I don’t think I'll be hitting my Lennon's with a bloody blowtorch and beeswax treatment lol

CombatWombat

Awesome! I hope you find them as excellent as I have.

I'm just about at the point of needing to order another pair :)
Oh THOSE are what you were calling Palladiums!
I wore a black leather pair for school sport lol
I absolutely hate how tight they are across the top of my feet......leather Converse were much more roomy in that regard, but I did have a honest to God French pair (argeroylle or something like that) that I wore to death on many a Scouting canoe trip