• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Chandler

Trenton & Heath take apart a pair of ATF service shoes.

No telling what vintage the boots are -- there's a minor attempt to research ATF, but they obviously haven't followed ATF over the years. Owner claims these were made in Mexico, but I don't remember ATF ever sourcing through there.
Nobody into this, eh? Figured it would be of interest to the boot boys.

Pa12

Anyone have any info on the boots Alan Arkin was wearing in catch 22? They’re like a chukka with buckles and straps. I’ve seen them in a couple ww2 era movies as well and was wondering if they’re issued or civilian. Always thought they were pretty cool.

Chandler

Anyone have any info on the boots Alan Arkin was wearing in catch 22? They’re like a chukka with buckles and straps. I’ve seen them in a couple ww2 era movies as well and was wondering if they’re issued or civilian. Always thought they were pretty cool.
Were they rough-out leather?

Poster shows him in Chuck Taylors. :D

Pa12

Watched a James garner movie yesterday called “36 hours”. Noticed rod Taylor wearing them as well in us uniform. That’s what reminded me. Seen them before in ww2 vintage films. Can’t recall if they have one or two straps and buckles, but they are ankle boots.

Chandler

They were leather, just above the ankle. You can see them when he lays down after being knifed.
I would have said Justin Roper boots, but I think they're a little taller than just above the ankle.

I've seen other pilots (Stewart, I believe) with cross-buckle shoes, but they're usually low-quarter.

Pa12

I’m not sure about the terminology but I guess they’re taller then ankle boots, such as desert boots.

Pa12

Different, but similar height I think. The ones I’m thinking of had buckles on the side I think.

Pa12

Not a very good picture, but these are the ones.
3DC90B48-71F5-44CF-A3A6-3197E30CDFAC.jpeg

Pa12

@Pa12

We old farts called them jodhpur's.

Sanders of England (I own a pair) used to make them,
they were called Newmarket IIRC, sadly it appears that
they are now discontinued.

Church's of England makes them currently:

Church's Nevada Boots

Dehner's of Omaha makes them:

Dehner 2 Strap Jodhpur
Ok, so they’re not issued boots. Strange that they show up in so many ww2 period movies with a us uniform.

ShanghaiJack

I won't say that they were common, but they were used in WWII.

I can't recall seeing Enlisted wearing them, only Officers from what
photos that I have seen.

IIRC there's a color photo of Don Gentile, dressed in his Pinks and Greens,
sitting in a chair, a relaxed setting, and he's wearing Jodhpurs.

I've seen a few photos of Officers wearing them in the CBI as well.

Harris_HTM

Yes indeed it seems like a jodhpur boot. Most of the dress shoes manufacturers make them. If you're on a budget go for a meermin. Otherwise there are many great options you can choose from, Carmina, Crockett n Jones and most of the rest British shoemakers.

Micawber

Yep Jodhpurs and "trendy" in the 8th AF in WW2. Back in my serious collecting days I had several pairs of those that belonged to guys who served over here.
Being private purchase they were quite desirable and sometimes went AWOL from lockers. A good friend of mine had his stolen from his locker when their aircraft had to make an emergency landing in France due to combat damage. Repairs took some days and in that time his boots and issue A-2 went walkabouts never to be seen again. He was pissed about having to buy new boots and beg a replacement jacket from supply.

Pa12

Yep Jodhpurs and "trendy" in the 8th AF in WW2. Back in my serious collecting days I had several pairs of those that belonged to guys who served over here.
Being private purchase they were quite desirable and sometimes went AWOL from lockers. A good friend of mine had his stolen from his locker when their aircraft had to make an emergency landing in France due to combat damage. Repairs took some days and in that time his boots and issue A-2 went walkabouts never to be seen again. He was pissed about having to buy new boots and beg a replacement jacket from supply.
Would they have originally been a riding boot?