• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Smithy

Been wearing my service shoes from Sturm Mil-Tec (from SoF) a lot over the last couple of months. Absolutely love them.

thG5MKV.jpg

Smithy

Been wearing my service shoes from Sturm Mil-Tec (from SoF) a lot over the last couple of months. Absolutely love them.

thG5MKV.jpg

Got sent a PM asking about sizing after posting this photo, and so I thought I'd post it here on the forum if it might help others as well...

If you buy a pair of Sturm Mil-Tec service shoes or their Roughouts (I have those too) just order your normal size and you'll be good to go ;-)

Seriously great boots for the price and you can resole them to your heart's content - and trust me you will, because the uppers are made of bulletproof leather.

blackrat2

Redwings take some “wearing in” but once done are pretty comfy
Mine have the newer sole with pattern tread rather than smooth I am not sure if that’s a European thing or across there range now with the Iron rangers?!

Blackboxr1200S

Mine have the newer sole with pattern tread rather than smooth I am not sure if that’s a European thing or across there range now with the Iron rangers?!
The newer soles have been in place for a while.
Just saw an article from 2016 where they mention the "old" NO tread sole is being replaced by their new Vibram 430 mini-lug soles. These feature the same low profile but with added tread.
Glad they did, without it, you're likely to kiss the pavement when raining or muddy

sole.JPG

MikeyB-17

Redwings take some “wearing in” but once done are pretty comfy
Cor, do they ever! I’ve had my Charcoal 875’s over a year, and despite heavy wear the buggers will not wear in! Not uncomfortable, but still hardly a crease across the toes. My 877’s are even older, and they’re not much better, although they don’t get as much wear because they take so long to lace up! May look into some speedlacers.
9D20165B-E6B4-46DC-BFE2-E08A910C76BF.jpeg

Just to show it is possible though, these are my other 875’s-I can’t take the credit for these, as I bought them used, but they have a fantastic patina and are by far my favourite boots. Just had them resoled-I went for black this time, and I‘m delighted with the results.
54B86BF2-EC05-4596-9230-579354265063.jpeg

JonnyCrow

My other half would not appreciate me marching and singing around the living room wearing hobnails either.
Yeah my wife would hit me with them, plus downstairs neighbours wouldn't appreciate clog dancing, I remember my sister's wearing heels in the 80's and demolishing my parents shagpile carpet, god I'm glad some things are in the past haha

D97x7

My Iron Rangers above are the only boots that actually made my feet bleed on the top, glad I stuck with them though as they're now one of the most comfortable pairs I've ever owned.

Smithy

Had my Sturm Mil-Tec roughouts on today which I love. Sadly with winter fast approaching here I'm going to have to put them into hibernation until spring because the height of winter here means an inch or more of mirror ice on the ground.

I've got my modern winter boots but seriously thinking of picking up a pair of repro WWII hobnailed boots, either British or German as aesthetically they're nicer than the modern ones.

Anyone have any experience with for example ATF's German hobnail boots or SoF British or German ones?

Harris_HTM

Had my Sturm Mil-Tec roughouts on today which I love. Sadly with winter fast approaching here I'm going to have to put them into hibernation until spring because the height of winter here means an inch or more of mirror ice on the ground.

I've got my modern winter boots but seriously thinking of picking up a pair of repro WWII hobnailed boots, either British or German as aesthetically they're nicer than the modern ones.

Anyone have any experience with for example ATF's German hobnail boots or SoF British or German ones?
I know I'm a sucker for William Lennon, but have you checked their hobnailed models?
Having owned three pairs of workboots from them I can assure you they are built as tanks.

Smithy

I know I'm a sucker for William Lennon, but have you checked their hobnailed models?
Having owned three pairs of workboots from them I can assure you they are built as tanks.

Thanks mate, I'll have a shufti!

Cyril

The newer soles have been in place for a while.
Just saw an article from 2016 where they mention the "old" NO tread sole is being replaced by their new Vibram 430 mini-lug soles. These feature the same low profile but with added tread.
Glad they did, without it, you're likely to kiss the pavement when raining or muddy

View attachment 85760
I asked about it when i got new ones. The "new" sole is also supposed to be a little softer for more comfort. Means it will also have a shorter life. Redwing will resole it with the original, harder, non profile sole if there is a wish for it. My last soles lasted for 11 years, no pavement kissing, but definetely more slippy.

Chandler

I asked about it when i got new ones. The "new" sole is also supposed to be a little softer for more comfort. Means it will also have a shorter life. Redwing will resole it with the original, harder, non profile sole if there is a wish for it. My last soles lasted for 11 years, no pavement kissing, but definetely more slippy.
I've been wearing mine for 4 years now and the mini-lug soles are holding up very well. I'm on my third Vibram Ketterlift soles on my Danner Explorers after 10 years -- and the third set are close to replacement. Damn fine boots, though.

And the leather on my copper rough & toughs is top-notch.

I would recommend Red Wing Iron Rangers for their quality and craftsmanship to anyone looking at a heritage boot.

Dany McDonald

Hello Cyril,

Those are very nice, I especially like the potential for character with the aging on the pale leather. I will have to change my red wings one day and I was never really into this type of skin until now...

Dany