• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bomber Jacket Photo Project...

johnwayne

Not sure how or why I’ve missed this, maybe because I have too many books inc several of the Flight Jacket books we all know but was just looking at website and the clip showing the printing! As a life long ‘print person’ - mainly sales and production after my typesetting apprenticeship, I cannot tell you how many hours of my working life I’ve stood at the viewing desk of a Heidleberg 6 colour B1 litho press, with clients passing similar projects!! Now retired it takes me back but in my sales roll I would have been in my element to have won such a contract and would love to think my jacket nerdy knowledge could have contributed in a major way. They could even have used my jackets when assessing the correct densities needed to obtain the russet and seal colours!!! Believe me, clients brought all manner of items to try to match the colour, ignoring the fact that the ‘4 colour process’ has limitations. Glassed wine, bits of material, you name it we saw it.
All that aside I was astounded to see the paper supplied/used was from the UK, given that we have few if any paper mills now left, so question if said paper was actually made here?
Traditionally and for many years Europe has used satin type coated art papers whereas the US opts more for glossy stocks.
So having taken myself on a nostalgic trip down memory lane I have to convince myself to shell out for yet another jacket book upon which I’d probably find myself reading whilst wearing my quality inspectors hat, a trait you can’t shake off as you look for typos and colour imbalance etc., etc!!!! It does look amazing from what I can see and out of curiosity what was the total print run?

johnslemp

Not sure how or why I’ve missed this, maybe because I have too many books inc several of the Flight Jacket books we all know but was just looking at website and the clip showing the printing! As a life long ‘print person’ - mainly sales and production after my typesetting apprenticeship, I cannot tell you how many hours of my working life I’ve stood at the viewing desk of a Heidleberg 6 colour B1 litho press, with clients passing similar projects!! Now retired it takes me back but in my sales roll I would have been in my element to have won such a contract and would love to think my jacket nerdy knowledge could have contributed in a major way. They could even have used my jackets when assessing the correct densities needed to obtain the russet and seal colours!!! Believe me, clients brought all manner of items to try to match the colour, ignoring the fact that the ‘4 colour process’ has limitations. Glassed wine, bits of material, you name it we saw it.
All that aside I was astounded to see the paper supplied/used was from the UK, given that we have few if any paper mills now left, so question if said paper was actually made here?
Traditionally and for many years Europe has used satin type coated art papers whereas the US opts more for glossy stocks.
So having taken myself on a nostalgic trip down memory lane I have to convince myself to shell out for yet another jacket book upon which I’d probably find myself reading whilst wearing my quality inspectors hat, a trait you can’t shake off as you look for typos and colour imbalance etc., etc!!!! It does look amazing from what I can see and out of curiosity what was the total print run?
Hello johnwayne! The green paper in the book is from the UK. The other pages used for the photos are of a "satin" type finish. I don't recall what it is exactly, but my designer said it's some of the best paper available...and judging by what we paid for the printing, I believe him!

By the way, the book has already won two Silver awards in international design competitions, the most recent being in the 2024 Graphis Design competition: https://www.graphis.com/entry/eda44d01-4880-4b02-8c03-d779e004eebc/

I'm coming to England next month for the Battle of Britain airshow in Duxford, and we've been invited to set up shop in the lobby of the American Air Museum on Saturday and Sunday, the 16th and 17th. If you are in the area, please come by and say "Hello!" We'll have books for sale as well, and several large prints on hand for your perusal. I look forward to seeing you there!

Attachments

• Slemp_221027__DSC0222.jpg
    Slemp_221027__DSC0222.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 144

johnwayne

Colorplan, used more of that in my time than I care to remember - was a pretty much stand alone stock at one point but now has more competition but a great range of colours. Sadly I can’t make Duxford in Sept as I’m of the country getting some summer that we’ve had not very much of this year in the UK! Pity as I would love to have been there even though I was at Duxford only a few weeks back - great venue, enjoy, as I’m sure you will.

johnslemp

Colorplan, used more of that in my time than I care to remember - was a pretty much stand alone stock at one point but now has more competition but a great range of colours. Sadly I can’t make Duxford in Sept as I’m of the country getting some summer that we’ve had not very much of this year in the UK! Pity as I would love to have been there even though I was at Duxford only a few weeks back - great venue, enjoy, as I’m sure you will.
Well that's a shame that we won't get to meet! Thanks for the kind words nonetheless, and I'll post an update upon my return. Be Well!

johnslemp

Happy to report that we sold over 30 books during the Battle of Britain airshow in Duxford. Had a great time, met many new friends, and enjoyed the historic ambience immensely. Hopefully will be back next year. Would also like to announce that East Anglia Books in now carrying the book as well. When you purchase one from Marilyn, please tell her I said "Hello!" http://www.eastangliabooks.com/

Attachments

• 09162023_Slemp_0020.jpg
    09162023_Slemp_0020.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 136

Griffon_301

Hello Christophe!

yes I got me a copY of the book :) it was great, talking to John and his lovely lady assistant and browsing through the book finally convinced me to buy it. having it signed by John was just the icing on the cake then :)

Pilot

Long way. Shipped September 16th... Still not arrived.

@johnslemp , could you help ?
Sorry to read that.. but what were the shipping costs into a country where parcel shipping thieves are all over the „ cheap system „.places.?
Hope not… but described here and on the net 10000x.
Hope all good for you.

Saint-ex

Received today, Thanks again @johnslemp !

Was just a misunderstanding and when I posted here, it was not yet shipped.
And after, UPS talent : 1 week, 3 access point tried and the worst communication ever, but finally here.

The book is really nice !

Blackboxr1200S