• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

Bomber Jacket Photo Project...

johnslemp

Hello Folks!

I must admit that until recently I was unaware of this group, but I've undertaken a project that might be of interest to the members. I'm a commercial photographer in Atlanta, with a specialization in Aviation. Over the holidays I began photographing WWII "bomber jackets", or as they are more properly known, A2 jackets. I'm specifically seeking jackets with hand-painted artwork, preferably on both sides, from the WWII period. The present condition is irrelevant. All who participate will receive a free print of each side of the jacket for their efforts.

The eventual goal is to create an exhibition (with life-sized prints), a book, or both.

Additional details, including my contact information, can be found here: http://aerographsblog.com/wordpress/?p=1457

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have...

DiamondDave

WELCOME TO THE BOOBY HATCH!

I think this is a great idea, and a traveling exhibition would be very cool to see. Wish that I owned more painted originals, as I would love to participate, but I do wish you all the best luck with the project, from one artist and artisan to another.

johnslemp

Hello Dave!

Thanks so much. The project has received some good, actually great response so far. Will keep everyone posted as to progress…

johnslemp

Hello Gents!

Back with an update. To date, 29 jackets have been photographed, including 7 in June at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida, and just last week, 13 more were photographed at the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum in DC. While I'm still processing the images from last week, 16 are posted to my website, and can be seen here: http://aerographs.photoshelter.com/inde ... IwSfHDZ.GQ

If you know of anyone who has an ORIGINAL A-2 or G-1 from WWII, please consider putting us in touch. My email is john@aerographs.com and I can be reached via cell at (404) 245-2411.

In advance, Thanks!

John

MeachamLake

I hate to be picky, but they're called "flight jackets". Bomber jacket was a term coined by civilian makers after the war.

Sorry for being so "type A".
I do agree with this, despite it seeming incredibly pedantic! 'Flight jacket' is a far better term, particularly when you consider not all the jackets were even worn in bombers.

What an absolutely fantastic project. Your photos are terrific John - please keep us updated on your progress! And be sure to get as many photos of other WW2 jackets - there's some B3, B-6 and D-1 shearling jackets which all have fantastic artwork on them.

dmar836

Stony, Have not been back. I don’t collect like I did now that I retired. Linda said, “...well, we could go back” so we’ll see.
Dave

w1rc

I hate to be picky, but they're called "flight jackets". Bomber jacket was a term coined by civilian makers after the war.

Sorry for being so "type A".
I think correct nomenclature is important. The B-3 is probably the closest piece to the term “bomber jacket” because they were designed for higher altitude flight and colder ambient temperatures. I prefer “flight jackets”.