• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best photos of famous people wearing true vintage leather jackets (military, but not only)

flyincowboy

BOB HOPE AND FRIENDS

bob hope  n friends.jpg

2BM2K

Some information about this photo, sourced from the the book Wild Blue Yonder.

In the photo are; Bob Hope, Francis Langford, Tony Romano.

With Lt. Ellsworth F. Kenyon's crew. B17 Lallah VIII, 364th BS, 305th BG at Chelveston 5th July 1943.

Kenyon and crew were shot down on Schweinfurt mission on 14th October 1943.

RO Russell J. Algren was KIA, all others made POW.

Shanghai-Mayne

If you gentlemen and ladies remember this scene from Empire of the Sun:
p2511112607.jpg

Allow me introduce Major John·C·Herbst
"Tex" Hill hand picked him from Eglin air base at 1943. After he was transferred into 74th Sqn, he shot down 8 Japanese aircraft in 3 months, became one of the best AAF ace at China and CBI threat. He planed and personal commanded the great air raid against Japanese aviation force stationed in Shanghai at 1945.1.17. For some reason i don't know, in the movie, that P-51 is belong to 118 Tactical Recon Sqn. 74th's plane wasn't there.

images-5.jpeg
images-4.jpeg

Last edited:

asiamiles

Russ Meyer, then of the 166th Signal Photographic Company, snapped by fellow 166th combat photographer Charles Sumners in France, 1944, scanned from Jimmy McDonough's biography. Has Russ put a 3rd Army patch on top of a 'Cameraman Official' patch?

russ.jpg

And a rather better quality pic of Russ (with Sumners to his left).

russ2.jpg

And Russ in a D-1.

russ4.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Russ Meyer, then of the 166th Signal Photographic Company, snapped by fellow 166th combat photographer Charles Sumners in France, 1944, scanned from Jimmy McDonough's autobiography. Has Russ put a 3rd Army patch on top of a 'Cameraman Official' patch?

View attachment 112079

And a rather better quality pic of Russ (with Sumners to his left).

View attachment 112081

And Russ in a D-1.

View attachment 112085
Looks like he’s wearing a French style cyclist jacket in the top photo .

asiamiles

Looks like he’s wearing a French style cyclist jacket in the top photo .
Same jacket in the middle pic. Yes, would certainly seem to make more sense than him taking a leather jacket with him, though he could also have picked it up in England before crossing the channel; only thing, weren't ball and chain zipper pulls an American thing?

Erwin

Ozzy Osbourne G-1 type Navy jacket "Paranoia" video:
This is great, well-spotted THX for adding, the jacket looks a bit like a civilian version with "heavy" knitted cuffs and a waistband, see another clip from the Beat-Club session. The title is a bit different ;)

Last edited:

ZuZu

This is great, well-spotted THX for adding, the jacket looks a bit like a civilian version with "heavy" knitted cuffs and a waistband, see another clip from the Beat-Club session. The title is a bit different ;)
I couldn't see the jacket clearly- I did see the underarm gussets so my mind filled in the gaps.

Erwin

Gladly the music is more important than a jacket regarding BS. You can see a bit more details via a clip from the link below:

You added a super cool find about Ozzie's flight jacket, a good starting point to look for more pictures ;)

ZuZu

Gladly the music is more important than a jacket regarding BS. You can see a bit more details via a clip from the link below:

You added a super cool find about Ozzie's flight jacket, a good starting point to look for more pictures ;)
Wow Thanks! What do you think the jacket is? Original or civilian? I still can't tell. Thanks for posting- I forgot how great they were.

Erwin

Still hard to spot it, looks a bit like my "civi" m422a Willis & Geiger with heavy knitted knits.... But can be wrong here ;) Hard to tell, but now I know that I will waste time looking for some early Ozzie pictures.