• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B3 jackets collars and fleece colouring

Spitfireace

I’ve seen a lot of photos like this where the B-3 hides are torn and the shearling is exposed. Typical of WWII B-3s that were worn crawling in and out of bombers with cramped passage ways with sharp angles of protruding metal. Do you think the acrylic top coats were applied to help stiffen the hides to prevent tearing of the hide ? Ironically that’s what causes most of them to fall apart 80 years later.
Never meant to be collected eighty years later.

B-Man2

Never meant to be collected eighty years later.
Was there ever something produced that was “meant to be collected “ other than items produced as “Collectibles “ down thru the course of history ? I can’t think of any.
People collect what they will … and none of it was ever meant to be a collectible .

Silver Surfer

I have owned, and handled several original b-3s over the years, and none of them have had dark shearling inside or on the collar. however, the red skin b-3s sometimes had a pinkish tint on the deep inside areas, ie: under arm seams, side seams, etc. this, I imagine was due to dye leaching into the fur, and at some point when the jackets were new they may have had the pinkish tint through out. because my experience is limited, I will not rule out that there were some b-3s that had dark fur. its just that I have not personally seen it.

Pa12

And practically everything becomes more valuable the older it gets. Recently saw someone asking 25 grand for a ford pinto. Craaaazy.

Spitfireace

Was there ever something produced that was “meant to be collected “ other than items produced as “Collectibles “ down thru the course of history ? I can’t think of any.
People collect what they will … and none of it was ever meant to be a collectible .
Except Star Wars figurines.

Chandler

Beany Babies? :p

So many items with "Collectible" or "Collectors' Item" on their packaging anymore. :rolleyes:

Micawber

I have owned, and handled several original b-3s over the years, and none of them have had dark shearling inside or on the collar. however, the red skin b-3s sometimes had a pinkish tint on the deep inside areas, ie: under arm seams, side seams, etc. this, I imagine was due to dye leaching into the fur, and at some point when the jackets were new they may have had the pinkish tint through out. because my experience is limited, I will not rule out that there were some b-3s that had dark fur. its just that I have not personally seen it.

I would agree with this. One or two original B-3's that passed through my hands back when Adam was a lad showed the same. I suppose given the years between then and now, and the fact that people may have fiddled and faffed about with them in the meantime, the discolouring may have become more noticeable.

CBI

I think the various photos show a notable variation in fleece color for whatever reason. As long as repro manufactures get close, they should be able to get it right. Some of the period fleece is absolutely white, which I don't care for but there was fleece that color and some repro companies have made those.