• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B3 jackets collars and fleece colouring

John Lever

Interesting photos showing design and colour variations
Screenshot_20240114_103950_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240114_103938_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240114_103912_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240114_103857_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240114_104002_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240114_103924_Facebook.jpg

John Lever

Note some of the fleece looks like it might be russet or brown, shiny acrylic surface coating, some large collars and some very big fitting jackets.
Very different from MOTA

Dany McDonald

Interesting USN M-445 used by the USAAF.

I think I prefer that cut over the B-3 personally.

The image is saturated, the mouton (*shearling) is probably paler.

*Edit

D

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

I'd never attempt to guess color from B&W pictures. Shades, maybe.

Nothing to do with color or hue... Basic image adjustment or grading. The last image for which my comment was directed is oversaturated and the contrast is very high hence the mouton (*shearling) being too dark.

Its common with 40's images that are found on the net.

A very interesting set of images albeit!

*Edit

D

Last edited:

Dumpster D

I think it is too even for staining

I was only kidding of course.

I've never come across one of those darker fleece colours yet. Nothing ever.

It's not hard to believe they made them like that, I've just never seen one. The black and white photos make it pretty hard to tell. I would like to see someone who has an original one in the darker fleece colour.

Sheepskin tends to get pretty yellow with age. Always hear the B-3's on ebay being described as having a 'Honey' coloured sheepskin.

B-Man2

View attachment 134629

I think it’s colorized, though
I’ve seen a lot of photos like this where the B-3 hides are torn and the shearling is exposed. Typical of WWII B-3s that were worn crawling in and out of bombers with cramped passage ways with sharp angles of protruding metal. Do you think the acrylic top coats were applied to help stiffen the hides to prevent tearing of the hide ? Ironically that’s what causes most of them to fall apart 80 years later.