• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR's long-awaited M-422A (NXs. 416) pics and review

Brettafett

I've been wearing this jacket often since I received it, and initial impressions stand up. Its a beaut!
AVI LTHR M-422A F.jpg
AVI LTHR M-422A F1.JPG

Patterned after AVI's original WW2 Gordon & Ferguson M-422A, the jacket looks right and fits comfortably.
AVI have done a good job of incorporating most of the G&F detailing into their M-422A.
AVI LTHR M-422A Jacket.JPG

After a couple of weeks of wear, incl. a downpour, the goat is breaking in nicely, with grain starting to pop and creasing developing.
It certainly blocks the wind, and when layered with a light jumper, and the collar up... Ive been quite comfy in some recent UK storms.
AVI LTHR M-422A side.jpg

This is a size 42 with a touch of length added to sleeves, I'm 40" chest, 5'10 and athletic build. It feels trim, yet comfy and I can wear a light sweater under.
I could possibly even go up to a 44 for that more roomy WW2 AVG-look. So, the general 'rule' would be to go up from your chest size.
Details follow originals: Seal goatskin, genuine mouton fur collar (BETTER than some high end jackets), knitted cuffs (good - from MASH???), single ply rib-rack waistband, inside pocket, salmon-red rayon lining like most original G&Fs, repro Talon zipper and most of G&F's pattern nuances, larger left pocket etc. All the main details are there.
AVI LTHR M-422A CU1.jpg

After some constructive feedback from forum members, AVI updated some details; hang tab and label moved up, hang tab stitched through the collar seam,
second row of stitching below the collar, the left pocket being wider (another G&F nuance).
All things considered, the jacket is pretty well replicated and packs a lot of detailing for the price.
Theres always room for improvement, but thats mostly in material & hardware and then you start adding up the costs...
AVI LTHR M-422A CU3.jpg

A note on the goatskin. The leather might 'feel' a bit on the thin side in some places, but the overall thickness is pretty close to some of the top-end maker's goat samples I have, 1.1mm +/-?
(My original FO M-422A was on the thin side, as was my ELC M-422A, compared to the Headwind HL Block repro I had, Cockpit's G-1s and the HH A-2s I'm used too).
I think what makes it 'feel' this way, is that this leather is soft and supple, compared to the 'high end' goat used by the premium manufacturers, which feels a bit stiffer/ sturdier, more robust maybe... and has a different finish. So, this might be relative depending what you're comparing it too. Either way, its supple, 'gives', is relatively light and has some great grain and character.
AVI LTHR M-422A LEATHER.jpg

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, the goat AVI is using makes for a light, comfy jacket, and is fine at this price point, but its not the same stuff used by the high end makers.
I think if they could find that 2019 goat or at least find some that is a touch thicker... just 0.1mm thicker maybe, it would be a bonus. But thats me.
AVI LTHR M-422A Collar.JPG

Label. I understand they have valid reasons for not adding a repro G&F label, and really, it doesn't detract from the jacket itself.
I also understand that the painted USN on the back of the collar is an option.
Theres a 'notes' box when you order, to request added length or an other customisations... So I guess this is where you could request that also.
AVI LTHR M-422A CU2.jpg

The last thing I want to mention, is that this is no entry level/ beginners jacket. No Sir. This is a good 'budget-priced' original maker repro.
The general detailing is very good! The pattern, the mouton fur collar, collar profile, is excellent.... This is actually a lot of jacket for the money.
I feel its worth remembering that this is a 299 Euros (give or take, dep on where you are based).
AVI LTHR M-422A FB.jpg

Of course, it cant compare side-by-side with the top-end makers, as far as detailing and materials go, but then its a third of the price (or more)!
If you want that level of accuracy and detailing, you know who to speak too.
And... if you own an original... This may be a decent compliment that you can wear daily, without worrying about it.
Finally, a big thanks to Morten at AVI.
Customer service has been excellent. Always answers emails, always keen to try and improve and I look forward to seeing what comes next.
Thanks for reading ;)

p.s. Feel free to post pics of your AVI M-442A here also....

Last edited:

Enigma1938

Thanks for the great review Brett.
I can only agree with your opinions about the AVI M422a. Although I have FAR more expensive repro jackets from various types I have to say that I really like the AVI and since I received it I wear it every day, so currently I prefer it over the top tier jackets.
I don't baby it, I don't wear it just for Sunday walks and shopping trips, no I wear it in our mechanical workshop also for at least 9 hours a day so the AVI receives some good abusing. The jacket holds up pretty good and only gains character.
I second Brett's opinion about the leather. It's not the best of the best quality, nor is it a aniline or veg dyed leather that will develop a beautiful patina like the originals did and yes it could be a little thicker what would make the jacket appear more sturdy, precious and durable. Nevertheless it's ok for the money.
In contrary to Brett's opinion I'm not sure what to think of the knits. The cuffs on mine starting to fuzz and develop little fluff balls all over. I think that's because of the material mix that was used here, it's made of cotton and some synthetic material mix, not 100% cotton. I'm a bit worried what the knits will look like in a few months.
The big Pros on AVI's M422a are the cut and the detail level. Every detail was copied pretty accurate actually and the only thing I had to do was changing the zipper pull to a original M42 Talon, adding a stencil and changing the label to a original maket G&F repro label (thank you steve). Now there are no further inaccuracies left (and I'm a nerd when it comes to accuracy).
One little note about the sizing:
I usually wear size 42 jackets, after the experience with the first M422 I had ordered from AVI I decided on a 44 on the new jacket. Well it fits me good but still a tad on the trim side. If I would go for the typical WWII look Brett has mentioned I probably should choose a size 46 jacket. Generally a size 46 jacket would be way to big for me but it seems that the AVI should ordered at least one size up.
AVI's M422a is a top, easy to wear jacket for everyday use. For that price I can highly recommend it !

Beaker_UK

That's one very nice 422a, I can see me ordering in a few weeks! Quick question, what was the sleeve length after your slight addition?

B-Man2

I’ve read a few reviews that comment on the thinness of the goatskin used on these recent updates of the AVI M-422a jackets. That puzzled me as I previous owned one of their original 1st Gen A2’s in goatskin and the goatskin they used for that jacket was nearly bullet proof. It was thicker than it should have been for an A2 m, but the hide was definitely well suited to handle any abuse you could throw at it . It’s a shame that AVI doesn’t consider something like that goatskin in their newest generation of M-422as . I understand that it would be thicker than the original hides used in WWII but I think if your going to error on hide thickness it’s better to go over then under in this area.

Brettafett

That's one very nice 422a, I can see me ordering in a few weeks! Quick question, what was the sleeve length after your slight addition?
I just checked mine and they come in at roughly 26.5" (AVI's measurements have the size 42 at shy under 26"/ 66cm, so about 0.5" added to sleeves.
Glad I did, they are perfect for me.

Brettafett

I’ve read a few reviews that comment on the thinness of the goatskin used on these recent updates of the AVI M-422a jackets. That puzzled me as I previous owned one of their original 1st Gen A2’s in goatskin and the goatskin they used for that jacket was nearly bullet proof. It was thicker than it should have been for an A2 m, but the hide was definitely well suited to handle any abuse you could throw at it . It’s a shame that AVI doesn’t consider something like that goatskin in their newest generation of M-422as . I understand that it would be thicker than the original hides used in WWII but I think if your going to error on hide thickness it’s better to go over then under in this area.
You know Burt, its a funny thing. I know which A-2s you are referring too and those were thicker and more 'tank' than any of the others Ive owned.
My AVI 'Bronco' A-2 circa 2019 is a different goat, and its pretty close to all the ELC samples I have. I know some here will spit our thier coffee, but its the same thickness, same texture, same grain, similar finish, similar sheen, just lacks the hues and undertones of ELC's and is a slightly different seal brown.

Ive just gone to measure the sleeve and checked all the samples again.
Honestly this goat is fine. Its the same thickness as the all the top-end maker's goat samples I have, and Ive recently received more from some big boys. Its the finish thats different. AVI's is just feels more... supple, and it has less of a sheen, less depth of hues.
In fact, I'd bet its exactly the same stuff as some goat samples I have from Shaul Dover of FlightJackets... Its almost identical in all respects.

All that said, I do agree. Id rather err on the thicker side. Now, Morten is aware of this and has told me he has requested the supplier to use the thicker goat going forward.

B-Man2

Brett
Thanks for that feedback. I greatly respect your opinions and I’m really interested in your thoughts on this . I’ve been watching the feedback returns on this jacket and I’m impressed with it . You could say I’m right on the edge of jumping in on one .

Brettafett

Id love to hear your in-hand comments Burt.
Its grey and rainy here, but give me a day or two and I'll take some pics of the 2019 goat A-2, and some of the leather samples I have to compare.

Lord Flashheart

Nice review there Brett and really helpful detail. It’s good to hear AVI have produced a solid, value for money, M-422A repro. The mouton does look nice and better, as you say, than some high end makers offer. All told that looks a good jacket and a great fit. I’m looking forward to your Red Angel paint customisation.