• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR's long-awaited M-422A (NXs. 416) pics and review

Brettafett

Here are some comparisons between this AVI M-422A and the goat of some other makers (I really hope I don't upset anyone for posting this... Only intention is to show how this leather compares...)
Ive compared to goat from Flightjacket US (Shaul Dover)that I received a couple of years ago, its so similar to this seal goat its crazy. Thickness and colour are almost identical.
Also compared to a couple of ELC M-422A goat samples (different colours to that used on the G-1) from 2021 and more recently in 2022.
[the ELC 2022 M-422A goat sample is quite 'russet' and very different from anything Ive seen used on their M-422A before. The 2021 sample is gorgeous]

Again, Im not saying this is 'better' than that.... Just comparing and personal opinion...
All samples are roughly the same thickness, Id say close to 1.1mm maybe
AVI and FJ feel softer, more pliable and slightly more matte in appearance.
ELC's goat is clearly of a different nature, it has a different texture, feels more robust and has subtle hues and sheene that show up beautifully in the light. And yes, this goat felt and behaved a lot like my original did. (ok, I am saying this is 'better' goat ;) but it comes at a premium)

Not shown - Cockpit's goat is slightly thicker/ heavier... Aero's goat also feels beefier, but these are older samples so didn't add to photos.

All-in-all, I think AVI has some decent stuff here. You can see see how my jacket is already breaking in, grain and creasing forming...
AVI M422-A samples com.jpg
AVI M422-A samples comp2.jpg
AVI M422-A samples comp3.jpg

AVI M422-A samples comp4.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Brett
Nice comparison….. This is a great way to pass on info to those of us who are on the fence about an AVI M422a.

Brettafett

Oh yes, that mouton is lovely.
Looking at those pics above again, I'm keen to see one of ELC's M-422As they make from that new 'russety' goat.
Not really my bag, Id have preferred it more seal like the 2021 sample...
And yes, Id been considering it if I'd sold my Monarch, but hanging on to that for now.

ties70

@Brettafett ,

I really like your pictures.... Made me look at the AVI website once more, happy to see a size 50...only to notice it measures less than 50" all around.

Do you know how much the bi-swing back construction expands?

Ties

Brettafett

Interesting question Ties...Ive never really scrutinised that, more then "what happens when I lift and extend my arms"...
Theres no 'pull' when I do so, and it all folds back into itself once arms are dropped again.
As for the larger sizes, all I can say is size 'grading'... Unless these guys have a 46, 48 or 50 original to check (Im sure they dont), they will be using whatever formulas they use to size up.
Happy to check some measurements....

Greg Gale

OK, first impressions:

As soon as I got the package in my hands I noticed that it was unexpectedly light. I owned AVI's first edition G-1, and that one was quite heavy. Very sturdy, but maybe a bit too robust, wasn't sure who was wearing who if you know what I mean :D

This one is a lot lighter, much easier to wear. Very supple goatskin. I know some of you chalked it up as a disadvantage, but I'd choose this one any day. It's also quite similar in thickness to my Martin Lane G-1 from 1969 - except it has not dried out :)

I'm not much of a stitch counter, and the details look accurate enough for me, it definitely looks the part. The knits are tight, and seem to be of good quality. The mouton is the best I've ever seen in my life. Amazing quality.

If I had to bring up some negatives, it would be the zipper which doesn't feel very sturdy - I hope I'm wrong and it will last. Also, perhaps the rubber bands in the back could be a little stronger to keep those bi-swing folds more tucked in. Not a big issue though.

The size: Based on the measurements I hesitated between the 40 and the 42. I was afraid the 42 would be too baggy, but hey, that's the proper WW2 fit so I went for it. To my surprise: the jacket is tailor made! Perfect lengths, shoulders, not too baggy anywhere. Hey, I can even feel a bit of snugness in the front of the chest when zipped up - then again, I've been surfing 6 days a week for the past 10 months, so that might explain that.

Bottom line: This jacket is in the league with the top makers in terms of materials, quality and fit. If you're happy to sacrifice some minor details such as a repro label for half the price, then it's the best deal you can get. At this price point I can wear it every day, carefree, and that's exactly what these jackets were designed for.

Fit pics coming soon.

B-Man2

Wife wasn't home so here's 2 quick iPhone selfies of the jacket I grabbed off Avi's recent sale. It's a modified M-422a with handwarmer pockets and a brown lining. Bought it as a beater and definitely think it’ll do the trick.

View attachment 78094

View attachment 78095
It’s a keeper….. and since it’s a beater, it will probably be one of the coolest looking jackets you own in a couple of years, because you won’t baby it.
Congrats !