• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authentic Zip

Dany McDonald

Hello,

The way I see it, practically, you have two options, try to source an original DOT zipper and swap. Or restore it to its original american zipper, then an (available) Talon M42 from mash will do the job. I am at work so I can't look for what Werber was fitted with, it could be Conmar, Kwik or Crown.

Since it seems it's a D-1, does it have zippers at the pockets, and what brand?

This is the Talon you could work with.

Have fun!

D

Last edited:

JI2611

Hello,

The way I see it, practically, you have two options, try to source an original DOT zipper and swap. Or restore it to its original american zipper, then an (available) Talon M42 from mash will do the job. I am at work so I can't look for what Werber was fitted with, it could be Conmar, Kwik or Crown.

Since it seems it's a D-1, does it have zippers at the pockets, and what brand?

This is the Talon you could work with.

Have fun!

D
Thanks…this looks like a possible….how easy is it to order and ship from Japan?

JI2611

Incidentally what is wrong with it? I think they can be fixed if they aren't completely gone and there are companies who can get them going again. Mostly those who repair Irvins in the UK. But if you want to keep the jacket for show maybe there is no need to fix the zip.

I'm not sure that many WW2 US sheepskin jackets are actually wearable now anyway.

JI2611

We are getting there albeit slowly. So it looks to be a D-1 jacket that has been fitted with a DOT zip - a type commonly found on WW2 British Irvin type flying jackets.
Perhaps you could advise us of your location, nothing too specific a country will do. This will aid us advising you further. Period DOT zips are not that common as jacket restorers / collectors are often after them to repair their own items.
Your jacket is American so would in all likelihood have been fitted with a US made zip.
Perhaps post some full images of the jacket itself. Have you posted about it here before?
We are in Scotland….added a couple of photos of the jacket
C2D8E862-F844-47F8-9626-609DAE7579F0.jpeg
5D2F1770-A482-42DA-A687-A6021F123E0D.jpeg

Where are you located?
we are in Scotland