• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Army A-2 is officially official

MauldinFan

For those griping about how large people are wearing the A2's, they have to have something to fit over whatever flight wear they'd have underneath in the (highly unlikely) event of going up while wearing one.
I'd read somewhere a while back that at one point, the A2 was going to allowed for any soldier regardless of rank or MOS. That would have been interesting!
My brother is a retired USAF O5, working at Space Command as a GS civilian and he says the current Army officers he works with all griping about the cost. None of the previous uniform parts can be used for this new uniform, which costs around a thousand dollars for everything (not counting the A2 if you merit one).
His son is a Reserve O3 and he has yet to buy anything for the new uniform. I've often said that had they had this uniform when I was still an army officer, I'd have been the first to buy one, but my wife would have gone nuts for a cost that high.
From what I understand about the specs for the crusher cap, you should be able to wear one of the better custom-made WW2 style crushers made for folks like us with this uniform. If I were still in, I'd for sure wear my Michael Handford crusher with my class As.
I do very much worry about people making false "stolen valor" claims against re-enactors in the future, though.

Ed Rooney

For those griping about how large people are wearing the A2's, they have to have something to fit over whatever flight wear they'd have underneath in the (highly unlikely) event of going up while wearing one.
I'd read somewhere a while back that at one point, the A2 was going to allowed for any soldier regardless of rank or MOS. That would have been interesting!
My brother is a retired USAF O5, working at Space Command as a GS civilian and he says the current Army officers he works with all griping about the cost. None of the previous uniform parts can be used for this new uniform, which costs around a thousand dollars for everything (not counting the A2 if you merit one).
His son is a Reserve O3 and he has yet to buy anything for the new uniform. I've often said that had they had this uniform when I was still an army officer, I'd have been the first to buy one, but my wife would have gone nuts for a cost that high.
From what I understand about the specs for the crusher cap, you should be able to wear one of the better custom-made WW2 style crushers made for folks like us with this uniform. If I were still in, I'd for sure wear my Michael Handford crusher with my class As.
I do very much worry about people making false "stolen valor" claims against re-enactors in the future, though.

Yes, the new Army A-2 is authorized for any soldier. It is sold as an individual purchase item, kind of like the tanker jacket or sweater. Unlike the USAF or USN jackets, it cannot be worn flying. It's only a class-B uniform accessory, so it will only be worn for staff/office jobs. I pity the average soldier who goes out and buys one (plus the $30 epaulets), only to incur the wrath of the CSM.

FlakMagnet

I prefer the look and cut of the Aussie/RAAF issued Christies A-2. From what I understand it’s based off a WW2 contract, with the exception of the epaulets not sewn down, and the addition of an inside chest pocket.

(Pics not mine. Saw these on Fedora Lounge.

IMG_8786.jpeg

IMG_8787.jpeg

VLJ member @dinomartino1 started a thread based on it a while back https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...dard-for-raaf-private-purchase-jackets.22620/

MauldinFan

Yes, the new Army A-2 is authorized for any soldier. It is sold as an individual purchase item, kind of like the tanker jacket or sweater.
Wow. I wouldn't have thought that staff pukes and rotor heads would allow mere mortals wear something like that!
I pity the average soldier who goes out and buys one (plus the $30 epaulets), only to incur the wrath of the CSM.
db3ab9e3505e4ddf5affeb8774a68035--army-humor-military-humour.jpg

R.jpg

Funny, that's exactly what I thought before I got to this line in your post.
My last Bn CSM was a decent guy who really seemed to look out for his people (I'm the only one I know who was given a CSM coin by for looking out for his folks during Rear-D for an NTC cycle, and I was a 1LT at the time). I once asked him plainly if there was a special class at CSM school that taught them to ferret out any uniform or issue item that wasn't used by 100% of other soldiers (and completely lose your mind once it is found). He wouldn't answer the question but gave me a "I know something, but I can't tell you," smile. I smiled back, nodded, and said, "I'm tracking, Sgt Major," and went about my day.
And every now and then, the cartoon below really happens.
563b80e78053242c8ac70514a5461449--army-humor-military-humour.jpg

I saw a brand new O1 right out of OBC try to 'correct' a Brigade CSM, something about a pocket flap (in the old BDU times). I was walking far behind him with another O2 and the CSM came by us and saluted. We returned that of course, and I asked, "Gonna have that new butter bar killed, Sgt Major?" He stopped, smiled the most devious grin I've ever seen a man attempt and he mumbled, "You know it, gentlemen." We actually caught up with that O1 (who neither of us had met before) and found out which unit he was with. I asked, "Do you realize you better walk on water for the rest of your time in this Brigade?"
I never saw that O1 again. maybe the CSM did have him killed.

CombatWombat

I prefer the look and cut of the Aussie/RAAF issued Christies A-2. From what I understand it’s based off a WW2 contract, with the exception of the epaulets not sewn down, and the addition of an inside chest pocket.

(Pics not mine. Saw these on Fedora Lounge.

View attachment 113385
View attachment 113387

VLJ member @dinomartino1 started a thread based on it a while back https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...dard-for-raaf-private-purchase-jackets.22620/
I've got one myself and it's a well built and robust but of gear.

But it's a EXACT copy of a WW2 jacket (no internal pockets, a definite "athletic cut" body and the epaulettes are stitched down)
You can get it with Velcro or no Velcro patches