• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

bob capa

P1010082.jpg

P1010083.jpg

P1010085.jpg

i paid by installments,Paddy was awesome to deal with

they delivered in earthquake week

John Lever

Fabulous horsehide.
I have two horsehide A-1's both were very nice jackets,but the issue I had with them is that the leather can be too thick for the design of the jacket. The waist band and cuffs can't cope with very thick or stiff leather and the fit is compromised. If you examine the fit of the pilot in Grant's picture, the jacket hugs his frame rather than sitting over it. A subtle difference but there is one.
Just my opinion, not a criticism of The Few stuff which is simply amazing.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I have two horsehide A-1's both were very nice jackets,but the issue I had with them is that the leather can be too thick for the design of the jacket. The waist band and cuffs can't cope with very thick or stiff leather and the fit is compromised ...

John, my A-1 from The Few 2006 is A-2 weight horsehide, I knew that it wasn't correct, but it's what I wanted. Now that I have the Eastman capekin version, I can see that it drapes more correctly ... but I still prefer the heavier jacket.

For his first custom A-1, Bevan chose a 1.1 mm hide, and the more recent A-1's from The Few now use a lighter weight. I'm really tempted by this Badalassi version.

John Lever

Yes, that's fair enough.
It is odd though how with A-2's we insist on hyper accuracy but lose the plot when it comes to other designs. As long as we are happy then it's OK.

dadgad

John Lever said:
Fabulous horsehide.
I have two horsehide A-1's both were very nice jackets,but the issue I had with them is that the leather can be too thick for the design of the jacket. The waist band and cuffs can't cope with very thick or stiff leather and the fit is compromised. If you examine the fit of the pilot in Grant's picture, the jacket hugs his frame rather than sitting over it. A subtle difference but there is one.
Just my opinion, not a criticism of The Few stuff which is simply amazing.

Considering the fit and the cut I think that the A1 works better with lightweight leather, I would get capeskin over horsehide anytime for this kind of jacket and I would be also very curious to wear or see a capeskin A2 one day if ever a maker would dare...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dadgad said:
I would get capeskin over horsehide anytime for this kind of jacket ...

That's easy for you to say ... you got that nice dark seal capeskin from Eastman's experimental batch. I always thought it was better than the colour they settled on. :cool:

zoomer

John Lever said:
It is odd though how with A-2's we insist on hyper accuracy but lose the plot when it comes to other designs.
It's the most ubiquitous example of the breed, so there's less excuse to get it even a little wrong.
It's also "the" symbol of a very brave - and legendary - bunch of boys.

OTOH, the A-1 is a type that completely disappeared even from civilian wear - lightweight leather that's neither dressy nor suede? Who would want that?

As long as we are happy then it's OK.
Yep! Horses for courses, as I believe y'all say over there.
I currently rotate four A-1s: a cape ELC for mild weather, a steer ELC (old model) for layering under in the cold, a chromed cape Willis & Geiger for wet, and a chromed goat Lost Worlds for cool or wet.

dadgad

deeb7 said:
dadgad said:
I would get capeskin over horsehide anytime for this kind of jacket ...

That's easy for you to say ... you got that nice dark seal capeskin from Eastman's experimental batch. I always thought it was better than the colour they settled on. :cool:

You really are an archivist aren't you? :D ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dadgad said:
You really are an archivist aren't you? :D ;)

A nicer colour than the standard offering, the bonus of grainy bits, AND at a sale price ... I'll never forget. :)

asiamiles

zoomer said:
OTOH, the A-1 is a type that completely disappeared even from civilian wear
Not true, actually. The A-1 style seems to have remained popular in Italy. I have no idea how this came to be, but as to why, it might be because the climate there only really calls for lightweight leather and this is the best "classic" style that suits it?

But if you're talking about America, of course, the A-2 was a widespread template for leather jackets in the 50's and has stayed around, albeit in the background (eg. compare how many A-2's you see being worn compared to black leather motorcycle jackets). I would say the general preference for an A-2 over an A-1 would largely rest on the leather collar (harder wearing and more comfortable than a knit one) and having zip rather than buttons.

Alan

I received this a few months back, just now starting to get cool enough to wear it.

It's a Goodwear in Horween Vermont Espresso horsehide, which is a lighter weight horsehide. John was out of capeskin, and his source was out. I'm very happy with the horsehide, though. This is the first jacket John's new buttonhole sewing machine was used on.

Here are John's pics followed by a couple of me wearing it:

typea1.jpg

frontview1.jpg

frontview2.jpg

reverseview1.jpg

pocketi.jpg

label.jpg

buttonhole.jpg

img1262o.jpg

img1263ll.jpg

deand

Looked just as nice over on the FL! Wish I could afford one of those, with a holy covetousness. :D

dean

Alan

^Dean, I understand. This was purchased in installments with funds from some sideline buying & selling I do (no daughters were starved to buy this jacket!). I rationalized it as a 40th birthday present to myself.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
I Like The Few jacket,the leather looks great. Not keen on the BR.

I agree John, I like the dark buffalo, and at least the mysterious olive sheepskin Buzz has been found ... but she's an odd colour.