• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alden Indy Review

Chandler

Even though he doesn't know that's not an Indy boot and it's on the Barrie last, not the TruBalance last.

Chandler

I still wonder why Weston isn't looking at the 403 with the Chromexcel leather. I would think that model might compare better to the vintage 405.

lee

Interesting video. To be fair, Alden makes casual shoes for the office and not true work boots.

Dumpster D

I really wish that shoe video guy would stop sawing original WWII boots in half for a youtube channel.

Last edited:

FlakMagnet

Alden Indy’s are nice, but I agree that they’re way overpriced. I got a pair of handmade “Adventurer” boots from Wested (Goodyear welted too) for a fraction of the price of Aldens and I like them very much

Chandler

Alden Indy’s are nice, but I agree that they’re way overpriced. I got a pair of handmade “Adventurer” boots from Wested (Goodyear welted too) for a fraction of the price of Aldens and I like them very much

I'd look at those closer if they were built on a similar last and used the same heels.

Chandler

A bit of counterpoint.
I'm not sure I agree with this opinion:
"What is important for a boot in this category is entirely different than a boot in the “workboot” range. It also means that the corners which are cut – and unless your boot is more than $2,000 you ARE cutting corners somewhere – are going to be different in order to meet the wants of your consumer."
If I'm paying $600 (now $650?) for a pair of boots, I don't want corners cut. Never mind I'd never consider a $2,000 pair of boots.

However, this is definitely the point I wish Weston would consider:
"All that aside, the Alden Indy comes in a variety of leather options. Rose Anvil chose the one specifically designed to not develop a patina. If you want something that does, the world is your oyster: Chromexcel? Arabica Lux? Suede? Shell? All of these are available on the Indy if you want a more worn-in look."

Chandler

More counterpoint. I wish he'd upgrade his microphone.

Coincidentally -- this morning I received notification from the Shoemart that they have a new batch of Alden factory seconds in my size... decisions, decisions.

mulceber

I thought the following point was an excellent one: Rose Anvil basically lives and breathes extreme construction/logging boots that are made of aniline/semi-aniline high-end leathers. That basically sets him up to have unrealistic expectations for what is essentially a business-casual/light work boot.

Chandler

That basically sets him up to have unrealistic expectations for what is essentially a business-casual/light work boot.
I agree, except that he's also questioning whether Indy would actually wear such a chintzy boot on his adventures. ;)

mulceber

I would say yes. Keep in mind, Alden shoes did qualify as genuine work boots 50 years ago. It's only due to a bunch of developments in boot construction in the last 50 years that they've now been re-classified as business casual. Keep in mind, if I went out and bought an extremely accurate pair of M-43 roughout boots or USMC monkey boots, those too would qualify as casual wear boots today, not work boots. And they were literally worn through a World War. o_O For the time period the Indy movies are set in, Aldens would qualify as work boots.

Chandler

For the time period the Indy movies are set in, Aldens would qualify as work boots.
Right, and getting into the anachronism of the periods leaves Weston's reviews a little inconclusive.

If you watch the latest he's found a pair of 405s from around the time of the first movie -- not necessarily from the late '30s when Raiders took place (was Alden making 405s then?). And not necessarily from when Ford bought his pair that he used in the movie.

Lots of variables.