• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alden Indy Review

That is fascinating. And scary. I have a pair of 405s from over twenty years ago: old logo, duck cotton lined and full grain leather uppers. The modern boots share only a superficial resemblance to the classic product. The older boot uses leather where the modern one uses leatherboard on the midsole, footbed and heel stack. This was before Alden became, for want of a better word, a fashion brand.

I know the modern Indy gives you the option of getting Chromexcel uppers but if the rest of the boot is so shoddily built that's a huge worry.

Looks like i'll never replace the old ones with Aldens, which is a shame as the styling on this boot is unique and very appealing. Perhaps there's a gap in the market where some of the PNW bootmakers could take this on. I know Whites and Nicks make dressier, low arch styles and indeed moc toes, but none of them capture the mid 20th Century style of the 405.

Last edited:

Harris_HTM

As an owner of 7 pairs of Alden's and dozens of others of both workboot and "luxury" European brands (William Lennon, Crockett and Jones, Tricker's, Carmina, etc):
a) the attention to detail and qc of Alden is at least mediocre and unacceptable for the price point;
b) if bought at full price then they are definitely overpriced;
c) the shell cordovan and suede they use is way way better than that of any other brand I've used (and believe me I've used a lot);
d) the Indy boots are among my most comfortable pairs of boots.

B-Man2

As an owner of 7 pairs of Alden's and dozens of others of both workboot and "luxury" European brands (William Lennon, Crockett and Jones, Tricker's, Carmina, etc):
a) the attention to detail and qc of Alden is at least mediocre and unacceptable for the price point;
b) if bought at full price then they are definitely overpriced;
c) the shell cordovan and suede they use is way way better than that of any other brand I've used (and believe me I've used a lot);
d) the Indy boots are among my most comfortable pairs of boots.
Good points all of them and they are comfortable . I have a pair that was made under the J. crew brand and they are very comfortable to wear.

B-Man2

My exact thinking. I've been eyeing the Thursday Boot moc toe -- maybe this is a sign.
Chandler
Thursday boots are very nice but the one thing that makes me crazy is that they don’t gusset the tongue of their boots and because of that rainwater seeps in right where the laces start . If you’re thinking of a moc toe boot give me a week to do a quick review for you. I just ordered a pair of Thorogood moc toe boots yesterday . They should be here on Tuesday and I’ll send you a PM with my initial impression of them . It never hurts to compare and I know that these have a gusseted tongue .

Chandler

Chandler
Thursday boots are very nice but the one thing that makes me crazy is that they don’t gusset the tongue of their boots and because of that rainwater seeps in right where the laces start . If you’re thinking of a moc toe boot give me a week to do a quick review for you. I just ordered a pair of Thorogood moc toe boots yesterday . They should be here on Tuesday and I’ll send you a PM with my initial impression of them . It never hurts to compare and I know that these have a gusseted tongue .
Well -- I'm not looking for the typical moc toe boot, like Thorogood or Red Wing -- I wore those all through HS & college (still have a pair somewhere, but they're buried in my storage unit -- insulated and 8 inches tall).

I like the Aldens because they're a little more streamlined, as are the Thursdays -- to a point.

But that doesn't mean you can't show us a new pair of boots! :)

B-Man2

Well -- I'm not looking for the typical moc toe boot, like Thorogood or Red Wing -- I wore those all through HS & college (still have a pair somewhere, but they're buried in my storage unit -- insulated and 8 inches tall).

I like the Aldens because they're a little more streamlined, as are the Thursdays -- to a point.

But that doesn't mean you can't show us a new pair of boots! :)
Ok I understand what your saying . I just wish Thursdays would gusset their tongues, but that’s just my take on them .

Chandler

Ok I understand what your saying . I just wish Thursdays would gusset their tongues, but that’s just my take on them .
That does sound a little "cheap" on their part, but I hear they're always updating details based on customer feedback, so you never know.

I sent a request for the Diplomat to be offered in one of their smooth and dark brown leathers. Nothing yet, but again...

B-Man2

That does sound a little "cheap" on their part, but I hear they're always updating details based on customer feedback, so you never know.

I sent a request for the Diplomat to be offered in one of their smooth and dark brown leathers. Nothing yet, but again...
Not sure if you already know this but I’ve purchased a couple pairs of their boots as seconds from the New York Store (Hdqters)
If you call them and they have your size you can get great deals on boots that may have been scratched or discolored in a remote section .

Chandler

Not sure if you already know this but I’ve purchased a couple pairs of their boots as seconds from the New York Store (Hdqters)
If you call them and they have your size you can get great deals on boots that may have been scratched or discolored in a remote section .
Didn't know that about Thursday -- I'll look into it.

Discount on an already less-than pricey boot is a pretty good deal.

FWIW -- I got my Iron Rangers as discounted seconds -- can't even tell the flaw(s) -- to my eye, anyway... and especially not after 4 years of wear. ;)

B-Man2

Didn't know that about Thursday -- I'll look into it.

Discount on an already less-than pricey boot is a pretty good deal.

FWIW -- I got my Iron Rangers as discounted seconds -- can't even tell the flaw(s) -- to my eye, anyway... and especially not after 4 years of wear. ;)
Exactly ….. and the savings are pretty nice .

ausreenactor

Sadly an iconic company who made a quality product, opted to forgo that quality, increase the price and reap the profits . You could probably get a Chinese repro of the boot now that matches the construction the of Alden 405s.
Probably even surpass them?