• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alden Indy Review

Micawber

I would say yes. Keep in mind, Alden shoes did qualify as genuine work boots 50 years ago. It's only due to a bunch of developments in boot construction in the last 50 years that they've now been re-classified as business casual. Keep in mind, if I went out and bought an extremely accurate pair of M-43 roughout boots or USMC monkey boots, those too would qualify as casual wear boots today, not work boots. And they were literally worn through a World War. o_O For the time period the Indy movies are set in, Aldens would qualify as work boots.

Eyup lad, depends on t'country, proper workbooks had inch thick leather soles and hobnails! ;)

33-1729

I would say yes. Keep in mind, Alden shoes did qualify as genuine work boots 50 years ago. It's only due to a bunch of developments in boot construction in the last 50 years that they've now been re-classified as business casual. Keep in mind, if I went out and bought an extremely accurate pair of M-43 roughout boots or USMC monkey boots, those too would qualify as casual wear boots today, not work boots. And they were literally worn through a World War. o_O For the time period the Indy movies are set in, Aldens would qualify as work boots.

Harrison Ford worked as a carpenter to support his acting career and when he was chosen by George Lucas for the Indiana Jones acting role he was supposed to use Red Wing boots, but was wearing Alden boots for work and chose to wear those instead.

Smithy

Alden Indy’s are nice, but I agree that they’re way overpriced. I got a pair of handmade “Adventurer” boots from Wested (Goodyear welted too) for a fraction of the price of Aldens and I like them very much

Thanks for the recommendation Flak, I'd been umming and ahhing about them for yonks so think I might pull the trigger. Hope all's well in Aotearoa. Got a mate coming over to visit next month ;)

FlakMagnet

Thanks for the recommendation Flak, I'd been umming and ahhing about them for yonks so think I might pull the trigger. Hope all's well in Aotearoa. Got a mate coming over to visit next month ;)
Fantastic! You won't regret it. I love how the style of boot can be dressed up or down. I wore mine at a friend's wedding the other day and received many compliments.

Chandler

Fantastic! You won't regret it. I love how the style of boot can be dressed up or down. I wore mine at a friend's wedding the other day and received many compliments.
Can you show us a pic of the sole & heel of the Wested boot?

FlakMagnet

I recently had sole protectors put on, as the rubber/cork sole is a little too slippery on our tiled patio

IMG_8792.jpeg

IMG_8793.jpeg

Chandler

Man, he sure put them through the ringer.

His point on QC highlights my experience with the errant nail in the toe box of the pair I tried out. How does something like that get out the door?

I'm going to give Parkhurst a try. Seems like a true craftsman operation and at significant savings from Alden -- I'll report back.

Chandler

Got my Parkhurst boots this afternoon and, wow! Some very nicely crafted boots.

I only tried them on quickly for size, I'll start a new thread after deeper inspection. But boy, are they nice.

And no errant nails. ;)

Chandler

Damn, I subscribe to Rose Anvil and don't seem to be getting updates. :confused:

I sort of hope he sees the Parkhurst Niagaras -- going to snap some pics of mine this afternoon. I just settled on the size that's best and am ready to start wearing them.

Chandler

Snapped some shots of my new Parkhurst Niagaras.

I can't rave more about the construction of these boots or the customer service direct from Parkhurst's owner, Andrew.
Z16BDmv.jpg

8WjnIdc.jpg

kzzfKOW.jpg

I have a pair of waxed, flat laces I got from Parkhurst that I'll be using, but not in place yet.

Oh yeah, no errant nails in the toe box either. On either pair I tried on! ;)

BTW -- $418 with free shipping. And Andrew sent me a second pair to compare sizes -- free of charge.

Last edited:

ZuZu

My son is a Boot Boy and he gave me a pair of Thursday boots which are an Alden copy- I like 'em OK but I don't get the boot thing- if you actually wear boots a lot daily or for construction you realize that all that fancy construction doesn't mean a thing- if actually used as carpenter boots like Harrison Ford supposedly did (not sure about that) they aren't going to last more than a few years. The leather just gives out. My dad had one pair of 1950s or 60s Red Wing Irish Setter 8" boots and those lasted him a lifetime of resoles and light use- but nothing like construction. Throughout the 70s and 80s I had Red Wings, Carolinas, Frye but they were all on my feet getting ground down- they just didn't last. The Aussie boots- Blundstones and Redbacks are superior IMO for actual use.

That being said- I don't disparage the boot thing at all- I get the obsession- it's just a different disease than I have.
20231001_123055.jpg

B-Man2

Snapped some shots of my new Parkhurst Niagaras.

I can't rave more about the construction of these boots or the customer service direct from Parkhurst's owner, Andrew.
Z16BDmv.jpg

8WjnIdc.jpg

kzzfKOW.jpg

I have a pair of waxed, flat laces I got from Parkhurst that I'll be using, but not in place yet.

Oh yeah, no errant nails in the toe box either. On either pair I tried on! ;)

BTW -- $418 with free shipping. And Andrew sent me a second pair to compare sizes -- free of charge.
These look great . Hard to distinguish them from Alden’s . Love the color .