• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aces High Jackets

A

Anonymous

Iron-Maiden-Aces-High-718.jpg

ButteMT61

Andrew said:
Jon, just wondering. Are you planning to mark these in some way to permanently identify them as a repro? With a little wear they may well be passed off as originals. Perhaps a tiny fabric label sewn into one of the inside body seams a la the McCoys pocket label, or maybe a tiny branding on the leather (may be cheaper).

Does anyone else do that? There are many jackets today that in a few years time will look "real" or vintage. AFAIK, nobody does this?

Andrew

Don't really know what most makers do. RMNZ do a small tag sewn into the left pocket flap of their A-2's but that's probably just because they want to identify their own stuff as the spec label is a copy of the original. My GW's dont but they're early models. Jon's company name is on his label but it could easily be removed as per originals.

It's just a personal opinion of mine that it would be good if makers identified their repro work as such to make it harder for crooks or those otherwise ignorant to pass off something as original. You see that happen all the time. It's a topic often discussed by collectors of things other than VLJ's as things become rarer and more expensive. Jon's Irvins definitely look as though they will age well at least to the point that even if you knew what you were looking for you would only pick that by handling it- not something you can often do as a buyer.

767fo

John has put a horsehide label inside the pocket on most of my A2's. I think his jackets are probably the only ones who can truly mistaken as an original.

Marv

Eastman put both a horsehide label and their name label in the left pocket all of their original contracts range A2s which could easily be removed, not that an ELC jacket would probably be mistaken for an original.

flyboy

The label in the neck of Jon's jackets, should tell people it's a repro.
It can be removed - Yes - So can all other labels and tags in pockets and whatever.
If you're a crook, you'll find you way. And some people just want to buy anything. Just look at ebay... ;)

Andrew

Ok there's probably more folks who are unsure or don't know than crooks. I'd expect the average person reselling wouldn't remove an identifying tag, but at least it'd clearly indicate to an uninitiated buyer one or two down down the line or those who see that mark in an auction its not original. We've all seen many repro items sold as orig by people who dont know but still would like to think that what they have is the real deal-everyone wants to believe. I see it becoming more of an issue in time.

Having only owned originals but wanting to one day get a fabo repro Irvin, placing some subtle and tiny tell wouldn't bother me at all. Maybe Micro chipping is the way to go. :D

jonnyboy

Hi Guys,

Some kind of hidden label, or mark to identify the jacket as repros is not a bad idea. I might look at sewing a label into one of the inner sleeve seems, or maybe under one the sleeve zips. Or maybe a small, subtle stamp into the leather on the collar back?

Anyway, in the meantime, here's one happy customer - F/O 'Pussycat' Palmer of No. 1 Squadron:

P1050024small.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

flyboy

Sounds good, CryptoDave. Do post some pics and let's hear what you think of it!
And now it's just relax and wait, relax and wait.... ;)

jonnyboy

Thanks again Dave!

I'll keep you up-to-date with your jacket's progress when I start making it.

John - I have a small quantity of the new skins, and am expecting more soon. It's difficult to get suppliers to pull their finger out when you're a small one-man company. A bit like shouting into the wind! Still, it's great sheepskin - they've done a great job.

Cheers,

Jon

flyboy

Just ordered a PreWar Jacket (Battle of Britain model) - and all though I am one of the few, who's actually tried on - and felt the quality of Jon jackets, I am still pretty exited... :D
(To be honest: I can't wait for the jacket to arrive - and colder weather!!!)

Roughwear

Soren, I hope you have the jacket in time for Legends. With the English summer weather you may need to wear it.

Smithy

Absolutely the best repros I have seen, stunning work Jon you should be very, very proud and I wish you the greatest success with this, you deserve it!

But damn and blast, now I'm thinking I'll have to splurge on another irvin :mrgreen:

flyboy

Having tried both an original Irvin and one of Jon's jackets I can only say that they are much closer to the real thing, than any other repro I have ever tried on. (ALC, ELC and AERO)
Much softer/lighter than most repros, which tend to be heavy, stiff and bulky.
Plus a truly great craftsmanship.
So there is all the reasons in the world, Smithy! ;)