• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-1 Leather Jackets

2jakes

Fit looks very good !
How is the comfort level on the sleeves , shoulders , waist ? Some jackets , I'm aware
I have it on…others so nice to the point that I'm not aware , if you know what I mean !

ButteMT61

2jakes said:
Fit looks very good !
How is the comfort level on the sleeves , shoulders , waist ? Some jackets , I'm aware
I have it on…others so nice to the point that I'm not aware , if you know what I mean !

It's comfortable - the hide is very soft, especially in the arms. The waist is my only issue. The knits are not tight. I might have to see if JC can replace them. I'd like them to pull inward, and they don't. So, buttoned up, it looks a little sloppy to me.

Dr H

Vcruiser said:
I was wondering if it would work for you...but..it does!
Yeah..What is it with the shirttail hanging out? You see it all over the Fedora Lounge and other places.
Some kinda fad? Damn Kids.... :shock:
Guess it's better than wearing pajamas,tho... :?

...and then it'll be walking around malls with your backside hanging out and trousers around your knees... ;)

Looks really good...trust us...

ButteMT61

Dr H said:
Vcruiser said:
I was wondering if it would work for you...but..it does!
Yeah..What is it with the shirttail hanging out? You see it all over the Fedora Lounge and other places.
Some kinda fad? Damn Kids.... :shock:
Guess it's better than wearing pajamas,tho... :?

...and then it'll be walking around malls with your backside hanging out and trousers around your knees... ;)

Looks really good...trust us...

Sh*t. I just bought a hoodie! :mrgreen:
And thanks. I was worried about the knits. Maybe I can ping JC to see if/when he would redo them. It's not like he has anything else going on :lol:

Persimmon

As a A1 lover I can only agree with the rest of the wise folks.

Its a great looking jacket
It fits you very well.
You are a grown man and not age 9 so shirt tucked in please !!

Personally I think jeans/denims never work well with a A1 and chino's are a much better look.

Well done for buying it and wear it well. in future.
Beautiful jacket

Now its a question of how to wear it ....waistcoat style with pop buttons undone or not !

ButteMT61

Alan - point taken. No more untucked shirts! And thanks for the kind words :)

I usually wear things unbuttoned/unzipped. Last night got colder (50ºf) and we went to see a movie in Hollywood outdoors. It was perfect. I was so happy I got to wear it out, and we're in for a cooler/rain spell, so the jacket season isn't over yet.
The buttons are a bugger compared to a zipper! And I will certainly almost never button the collar up. With the waist knits being loose, I can't just wear a T-shirt under it - didn't look "tight" to me. A heavier shirt looks better, and I should have put on some Chinos had I the time to change. As it was, the jacket came before we went out, so I didn't have the time to accommodate. I'll try to get some better pics for you guys.

dmar836

Fit looks great.
Guys, soft flannel shirts are fairly thick - some like jackets themselves. I'm sure many would advise to never wear a button shirt without a t-shirt underneath. Now try tucking that all in and you have to have really baggy jeans. It's quite unfashionable to wear say just a T-shirt tucked in with a belt. There are quite a few things like that - don't ask me why but I am told to fix it when I step over such important boundaries. Tucked shirts look much better of course with these short body jackets. The same goes for MC jackets. I have been known to tuck my shirt up rather than down when wearing these jackets. When the jacket comes off, the shirt tail falls down. Simple and sloppy. Office setting? Well, that's a bit different.
I say wear what you like. I look at stuff I wore 30 yrs ago and realize this fad thing is nothing new. High waisted trousers? Don't have any but I say someone go for it!

At least Butte has hair!

Dave

airfrogusmc

ButteMT61 said:
So, rather than start a new thread, I thought it best to piggy-back here.

This is my new-old A-1 from GW via Allen. What do you guys think on the fit? It's not my normal cut with a tapered body and longer sleeves, but I think it looks OK. Opinions wanted - cruel or kind. :)
And, FWIW, Allen is a top-notch guy to deal with!

A-1c.jpg

A-1b.jpg

A-1a.jpg

A-1d.jpg

Fits you perfect....

So glad that it found a good home..

Dr H

High waisted trousers? Don't have any but I say someone go for it!

Dave

That's what I tend to wear with my A-1 in the office, and it works really well.

johnwayne

Your A1 looks nice - I do like GW's version and nearly had one about 3 years back but alas not my size. Small point but mine (an SFA) fits much like yours although I do question if it looks better when the seam sits slightly higher on the shoulder, a la Alan's witnessed earlier in this thread. Personal opinion I guess.
Crikey I do like that Olive A1 too - I've been after a nice one for some time and wasn't aware JC had actually made one! BR do/did one as in last years fall brochure that I got from ELC and when I asked Gary if he could get one he almost put me down - I cant remember his exact words but the cost was also quite high and I didn't wish to chance it from his comments so backed off!!
I seem to recall LW do one but its miles away from Bseal's GW version - thats neat and if I get one at least my other half couldn't say "surely not another brown leather jacket"!!! They just dont get it do they?
Cheers
Wayne

Dr H

Re. the new capeskin GW A-1 in development

Early days, as at this stage John is in discussion with the tannery about the key elements: cost and volume of leather that can be obtained and turnaround. I saw images of the three new cape samples that he's currently considering yesterday. If he opts for the one that he is currently favouring (he reports that it has a 'larger, more dense body, while still being butter soft...the thickness ... makes for a very solid feeling garment, while still having a capeskin slightly thinner and softer drape.'), it would be a slightly different look to the older A-1 that you see in this thread and below (bottom left), but the colour that he's currently pursuing looks great: a russet shade, but in a very dull earthy brown. It's not dissimilar in shade to my well worn ELC A-1 after heavy wear (top right).

IMG_9212.jpg

Looking forward to hearing more of this one in time.