• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Irvin ??

Falcon_52

Surely that has to be an Eastman but the starting bid/price is over what a new one would cost. :?

Noel

jack31916

Compared to my BoB Eastman I would say: an Eastman.

Additional pics of the label and zipps would be helpfull.

Roughwear

It's a 1940 pattern ELC RAF jacket. It's sad when sellers of Irvins are so vague in their descriptions and yet quote chunks other peoples' text about the history of the Irvin.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
So Eastman .... you tell 'em John.

!BjsrHU!!2k~$(KGrHqEOKjMEsmhy7V86BLUt2lsf2Q~~_12.JPG

rich

Because the BIN is so high and costs more than a new one from Eastman's, it seems to be deliberately misleading, especially the part about 'replacement' zips. Really annoying.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
So Eastman .... you tell 'em John.

!BjsrHU!!2k~$(KGrHqEOKjMEsmhy7V86BLUt2lsf2Q~~_12.JPG
Nah, not me.
As I have little interest in originals, I'll leave it to the ebay police.
I might watch it though to see how things develop. It may well return listed as a repro with a more reasonable BIN.

PADDY_M

Seller's Reply

Either this fellow doesn't really know what he's got, or, he does and is just trying it on with potential buyers. Surely the label (even the early ones, mine's from the early 90's) will have ELC on it. Definitely looking like an Eastman, a nice one, but none-the-less a repro Eastman.

Dear paddy_middleton,

Paddy, the AM label is dated 1940 but it does not say "Irvin" as the manufacturer.
I bought it from a car boot sale last year, the leather is cracked and a little stiff (and it smells a bit)so I guess its original

- ccottalsace Reply in your email program or through My Messages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: ccottalsace
Subject: paddy_middleton has sent a question about item #160395770170, ending on 24-Jan-10 10:04:41 GMT - 1940 RAF "Battle of Britain" Irvin Flying Jacket
Sent Date: 17-Jan-10 11:29:49 GMT

Roughwear

Words of wisdom there John. I'm sure you are right about the jacket being relisted or the description being revised.

rich

You can but try Paddy - this is my response

'I bought it from a car boot sale last year, there isnt a Eastman Label - I have checked the Eastman website and extracted part of the text they have on the jacket history.
The sheepskin is stiff so I assume its old.
Thanks for the info'

Just hope nobody falls for it.

Roughwear

Re: Seller's Reply

PADDY_M said:
Either this fellow doesn't really know what he's got, or, he does and is just trying it on with potential buyers. Surely the label (even the early ones, mine's from the early 90's) will have ELC on it. Definitely looking like an Eastman, a nice one, but none-the-less a repro Eastman.

Dear paddy_middleton,

Paddy, the AM label is dated 1940 but it does not say "Irvin" as the manufacturer.
I bought it from a car boot sale last year, the leather is cracked and a little stiff (and it smells a bit)so I guess its original

- ccottalsace Reply in your email program or through My Messages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: ccottalsace
Subject: paddy_middleton has sent a question about item #160395770170, ending on 24-Jan-10 10:04:41 GMT - 1940 RAF "Battle of Britain" Irvin Flying Jacket
Sent Date: 17-Jan-10 11:29:49 GMT

The seller is either trying to mislead or knows nothing about Irvins. An original would have the contract number on the label. The lack of close-up pics is interesting. :roll:

John Lever

It sounds like a con to me.
I bought it from a car boot sale what rubbish. Car boot sales are well covered by antique and other dealers. The day of real bargains is long gone.

Andrew

I too sent a message querying his description. What a load of crap. Aside from the label I also asked him to confirm the text on the zipper pulls as I thought he might try to say the label was too faded. Hopefully he'll fix his description after being bombarded by by so many sceptics...

Roughwear

The seller has revised the listing, leaving out the Irvin history stuff, but nowhere does he say its a repro. This guy is out to deceive and should be reported to toothless Ebay! If you look at what he has bought and sold its mostly WW2 militaria so he knows this is a repro, but is hoping to get £600 for it.

Roughwear

The jacket is no longer for sale. The seller has changed the price to £1,000,000.00! and writes
As some pundits out there seem to question the authenticity, I have removed it from sale pending confirmation?