• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1931 GOLDSMITH A-2 Limited Edition of 25

Ken at Aero Leather

Update

I've just finished a test pocket out of scrap, using a new pocket pattern and a slightly different technique, it looks 100% better IMO
Good news for some is that this particular piece of Russet Horse is probably thicker than Vicenza and it's belly scrap we wouldn't usually put into a jacket, it's stretchy and horrible to work with, that said I think the buttonhole is acceptable, although my first try ended up in the bin.
Bottom Line................ we should have no problem making these pockets in Vicenza

1931 Revised Pocket Flap.jpg

Technonut2112

Despite myself not liking the 'pig-in-a-poke' aspect of not seeing a completed sample beforehand, due to the nature of this jacket being a commemoration of the earliest A-2 contract, it's difficult not to lean in the direction of the most likely correct russet HH instead of the Battered Steer (as much as I like how it looks).. When's the cut-off for order changes Ken? A solid figure on the up-charge would be nice when you can, as I am stretching myself thin for this jacket as it is. Thanks!

Ken at Aero Leather

We do have some orders in for both Jerky and Russet Vicenza, if you don't mind shuffling your self back in the running order till we have one in either of these leathers made so you can see a finished jacket, we can probably wait till a forthnight before your jacket is due to be cut for a leather choice, so long as the change is only on the leather.

Technonut2112

We do have some orders in for both Jerky and Russet Vicenza, if you don't mind shuffling your self back in the running order till we have one in either of these leathers made so you can see a finished jacket, we can probably wait till a forthnight before your jacket is due to be cut for a leather choice, so long as the change is only on the leather.

It's a difficult decision. The Russet Vicenza will no doubt look great, and be 'correct', but the Battered Steer has caught my eye every time I've seen it. The sample is a real head-turner for certain.. But, I will more than likely go with the HH, since this is a special purchase for me, and I wouldn't want any regrets for not going with the 'proper' hide. ;)

Great idea about holding-off until one in HH is made to check it out, but I'd rather not lose my spot, since I ordered shortly after the sale went live. I'm more than likely your only order from West 'By Gawd' Virginia, USA for this run, so, if you can change my order to the Russet Vicenza, I would appreciate it.. :)

EDIT: I just sent Christine updated measurements, and a request for the hide change as well..:) EDIT: And was replied to and noted on my order VERY quickly.. :D

Last edited:

Technonut2112

While far from an Aero fanboy, I am particularly interested in this project since it is in essence, a departure from Aero's 'norm' in military A-2's. The Goldsmith was approached for what is was, an evolution from the A-1, into the zippered A-2. Aero never really made military jackets their bread-n-butter, and are scoffed by some of the 'purists' in our hobby, but IMO, this jacket with it's unique detailing, and well thought-out design copied from scant photographic evidence will place it squarely shoulder to shoulder with any similar project Eastman or GW would undertake. It appears that a lot of attention to detail is being given to truly make these 'collector' editions, and Aero certainly has a team of highly experienced craftsfolks to make it turn out well..... :)

Technonut2112

Ken, I'm hoping the Russet Vicenza slated for the project is like this (I found quite a few different Aero jacket pics made of Russet Vicenza which looks like this):

Aero_Bronco_A-2_Russet_Vicenza_Horsehide_44_sleeve_grain.jpg

EDIT: Here's a pic dated just a couple of weeks ago saying it's a current batch... Is it more like this?

Aero Bronco A-2 Russet Vicenza Horsehide DN61 patch pocket.jpg

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

http://www.456fis.org/HAP_ARNOLD-1.htm

Show's Hap as Commanding Officer; Chief, Field Service Section, Materiel Division, Air Corps;1929-1931

No chance he'd be wearing any Private Purchase Jacket, I think that's probably the 100% proof that his tab collar A-2 jacket is a Goldsmith
It's also obvious it was quite long, Mary Pickford was 5' tall in shoes, Hap was obviously at least a foot taller yet the jacket doesn't look short in any way

Technonut2112

Ken, can you comment on the two pics of Russet Vicenza above? Like I posted, there's quite a few different Aero jacket pics out there which resembles the 'darker' russet shade of the 1st pic. The 2nd pic as stated, was only taken a couple of weeks ago, and is supposedly what you have now. Is that correct? I can't speak for others, but I REALLY like how the 1st pic looks, and think it would be great for the Goldsmith..

Ken at Aero Leather

I doubt if the Vicenza we'll be using for any Goldsmith is in the factory yet, we have deliveries virtually every month.
I'll be in the factory late nextmonth, I can check what's in stock then but there really shouldn't be any obvious variation from one delivery to the next, this leather comes from of the most skilled tannery in the business. Most of the variation you see above is in the grain which, being a natural product with no "corrections", can be found on the same front quarter, nature of the beast.

Looks to me to have some flash glare on the close up

Last edited:

33-1729

http://www.456fis.org/HAP_ARNOLD-1.htm

Show's Hap as Commanding Officer; Chief, Field Service Section, Materiel Division, Air Corps;1929-1931

No chance he'd be wearing any Private Purchase Jacket, I think that's probably the 100% proof that his tab collar A-2 jacket is a Goldsmith
It's also obvious it was quite long, Mary Pickford was 5' tall in shoes, Hap was obviously at least a foot taller yet the jacket doesn't look short in any way

Sounds quite reasonable that Lt Col Arnold would wear a standard A-2 issue at that brassy table. And it certainly doesn't look like a Werber 32-6225, given the original maker "house style".

Silver Surfer

i concur regarding the gs a-2 length. as early a-2s tended to be slightly longer, and often narrower then war time a-2s, it would seem to me that the proto goldsmith a-2 would have set into motion those design elements. from the many pix that have been in this on going thread, it looks to me that the sleeves were rotated and inset. naturally, this would have some bearing on how the shoulder seams, epaulets, and back would be constructed. prob: no pix of the backs of the gs a-2s. though not mentioned in the threads is a design element that i would assume to be part of the gs build, based on other early a-2s. and, that is that the zipper would most likely have been jetted on both interior sides. again, prob: no pix to confirm.

Persimmon

Have we seen pictures of the back of the Goldsmith?
As it’s a crossover from the A1 jacket could it have the same seamed back ?