• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1931 GOLDSMITH A-2 Limited Edition of 25

Ken at Aero Leather

I'm sure you didn't mean this the way i first interpreted it but it sounds as if you are
A. Threatening/blackmailing Ken with cancelling your order because it won't be exclusive enough for you rather than because of the jacket itself. (Though i understand you have ordered one on the basis of rarity alone and so your cancelling would be quite correct....). And expecting the very person who has developed and will make the jacket to make future business decisions on the basis of you rather than if circumstances change and in 3 years he decides to make more due to demand. You'll still have your exclusive "First Run " jacket.

B. You seem to be giving a hard time to someone who is a businessman and enthusiast who provides desirable products but assume he will ignore that treatment of him when it comes to selling you a jacket.

Luckily, on second and third reading it is more ambiguous. ;)

Ken has a higher duty to his employees to keep them in work based on business needs and That is the bottom line.

These are very much First World problems and we should all be grateful if this is all that concerns us.

I don't think for one minute that this is what technonut 2112 meant, he KNOWS that when we say 25, we mean 25, the only priviso being that the two working samples which are not 100% perfect in our opinion and in the opinion some VLJ members are excluded from the "25"

Sad to say, there's as much chance of Inverness Caledonia Thistle winning the Champions League as there is of us re-issuing any "Limited Edition" item, but if Caley were to triumph...................

Officer Dibley

Thanks for the clarification Ken.

I know you are a man of your word and felt as if someone was calling that into question whilst at the same time wanting sonething from you.

Like i caveated, words when you can't hear the tone or the users expression can be misleading.

Technonut2112

I don't think for one minute that this is what technonut 2112 meant, he KNOWS that when we say 25, we mean 25, the only priviso being that the two working samples which are not 100% perfect in our opinion and in the opinion some VLJ members are excluded from the "25"

Exactly... ;)

Last edited:

jeremiah

If I were getting this I rather like the leather. But I am less of a period correct guy these days. I can understand those wanting more of that authenticity.

Technonut2112

If I were getting this I rather like the leather. But I am less of a period correct guy these days. I can understand those wanting more of that authenticity.

I like it myself. It's what helped me make the decision to purchase, despite it being more russet in reality. Regardless, Aero is making only 25, and my Battered Steer may just come close to matching the Goldsmith's actual color when a few years of wear brings the russet through to the surface. ;) IMO, unless samples were made using EACH available leather / color, one would be more or less buying a 'pig-in-a-poke', not knowing for certain how the jacket will look and drape before making the purchase. EDIT: Before anyone misinterprets what I mean, the jacket it's self would certainly be nicely done following the discussed details to Aero's standards.. I'm only referring to how using different leather will make a bit of difference in how it will drape & look compared to the sample Battered Steer...

EDIT: If this pic of a 'Shackleton' in Battered Steer is indicative of how the russet undertone will come through, I do think it will work quite well with the Goldsmith:

13751650b9b3dae5_Shackleton_Buttons-800.jpg

Different lighting shows the russet undertone just screaming to rise up on this one:

Aero Array Photo.JPG

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

Somwhere on instagram there's a photo of a well worn early Shackleton, I cannot remember where and I can't find it, might have been from Germany, you'd be amazed at the colour.....if anyone can find it.
My own Shackleton lightened by maybe 20% in a couple of years, sadly I had to pass it on and get a bigger size otherwise I couldn't wear a heavy roll neck under it, and that's the way they work best

Last edited:

33-1729

Andrew

Do you recall exactly when this contract was "discovered"

Thanks to the National Archives Records Administration I was able to get the original A-2 specification 94-3040 declassified and found two previously unknown contracts in that paperwork (P. Goldsmith Sons Co. contract 31-1897 & Werber Leather Coat Co. contract 32-6225). I first posted the finding on the VLJ site on Sept 2, 2017 (the A-2 specification 94-3040 was declassified on Aug 1, 2017). Marc Weinshenker kindly posted the A-2 94-3040 paperwork documents on his ACME Depot site. (Both links are below) This confirmed the A-2 drawing number is 30-1415 and not 31-1415 as some have noted. And that all original production A-2 jackets had a cotton lining and not spun silk lining as some have noted.

What has been most fascinating is the great effort by those on this site to identify possible samples of these two contracts from the photographic records at the time. I've certainly learned a lot. :)

First public disclosure @ http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/posts/186376/
Spec 94-3040 @ http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2hist.html

Technonut2112

Fact or flattery ?
The pocket flap's shape of the Goldsmith is WAY off - almost to an unacceptable standard.

It's already been addressed earlier..... ;) (see below):

Just had this from Denny at the factory.........

"Looking at the comments regarding pockets flap shape and checking the original pics I agree we should tweak them, also appears that the horizontal top stitch along pocket flap top edge is a single stitch and not a double."

I'm not sure, what are you guys seeing? One row or two?

And would you agree, oversized flaps? Both in themselves, and in relation to the pocket?

Here's a pic side by side. From here the flap looks deeper, and the point deeper yet.

I know a new product needs visual differentiation to avoid being taken for Just Another A-2, and the inset buttonhole presents its own difficulties. But the hole looks to be in the right place. You could cut back the shaped edge and have it dead on.
View attachment 8465

We are on the case, see earlier in the thread, we are also going to reduce the whole pocket size a fraction

Last edited:

Juanito

Thanks to the National Archives Records Administration I was able to get the original A-2 specification 94-3040 declassified and found two previously unknown contracts in that paperwork (P. Goldsmith Sons Co. contract 31-1897 & Werber Leather Coat Co. contract 32-6225). I first posted the finding on the VLJ site on Sept 2, 2017 (the A-2 specification 94-3040 was declassified on Aug 1, 2017). Marc Weinshenker kindly posted the A-2 94-3040 paperwork documents on his ACME Depot site. (Both links are below) This confirmed the A-2 drawing number is 30-1415 and not 31-1415 as some have noted. And that all original production A-2 jackets had a cotton lining and not spun silk lining as some have noted.

What has been most fascinating is the great effort by those on this site to identify possible samples of these two contracts from the photographic records at the time. I've certainly learned a lot. :)

First public disclosure @ http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/posts/186376/
Spec 94-3040 @ http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2hist.html
UNFORKING BELIEVABLE on the document outline the spec.

Technonut2112

Ken, for those who may be interested in the Vicenza Russet HH if 'button holer friendly', would there be an up-charge? If so, how much? Will you be testing to see if it's feasible soon?

Ken at Aero Leather

Ken, for those who may be interested in the Vicenza Russet HH if 'button holer friendly', would there be an up-charge? If so, how much? Will you be testing to see if it's feasible soon?

There will be a upcharge but probably less that the standard £75 as the A-2 uses a little less leather than most Civvy jackets.
I'm waiting for some scrap Vicenza to come up from the factory so I can make some test buttonholes