• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1931 GOLDSMITH A-2 Limited Edition of 25

Ken at Aero Leather

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/buttoned-pocket-flaps-a-2-jackets.20145/page-20

If anyone can't wait or wants to save a few bob, the very first sample (the one pictured in the link above) will be going on our sale page in the next week or so.

To save on the time doing the photos, listing, etc (which could be better spent on our new website) anyone on VLJ can have it for £600 with Free Postage Worldwide
Size 40, Minor Error on "X" Stitch. Slightly over sized pockets, wrong shape black neck hook, slightly too narrow collar stand 1/8th of an inch

PM me

Ken at Aero Leather

2BM2K

The pocket flap stitching was a good spot by Denny.

Please can he give a second opinion about the arm seam? Is it set-in or not?

May_1933.jpg

Thanks.

Ken at Aero Leather

I think what you are seeing is the seam between the curve of the armhole and the sleeve

..............and did anyone else notice Hap's perspiration problem?

We looked at that, the seam not the sweat, closely and came to the conclusion that if the sleeve had been set in the seam would be further forward
Also the fact that the Goldsmith set the basic design that was more or less followed throught the 1930s and all further A-2 jackets in that era had the same construction..

That said I'll get Sam and Denny look at it on Monday

Greg Gale

It would be very illogical if the Goldsmith had inset sleeves. If I'm not mistaken rotated sleeves only appeared on late models (Spiewak, Star, Monarch, Doniger). It's very unlikely that the pioneer model came with a feature that every other maker would discard for the next 10 years.

zoomer

Slightly over sized pockets
And would you agree, oversized flaps? Both in themselves, and in relation to the pocket?

Here's a pic side by side. From here the flap looks deeper, and the point deeper yet.

I know a new product needs visual differentiation to avoid being taken for Just Another A-2, and the inset buttonhole presents its own difficulties. But the hole looks to be in the right place. You could cut back the shaped edge and have it dead on.
39986183_2143373299007078_5176451467409620992_n.jpg

Ken at Aero Leather

It would be very illogical if the Goldsmith had inset sleeves. If I'm not mistaken rotated sleeves only appeared on late models (Spiewak, Star, Monarch, Doniger). It's very unlikely that the pioneer model came with a feature that every other maker would discard for the next 10 years.

Especially as Goldsmith's only expereince of clothing appeared to be baseball clothing, shirts etc typically flat seam fitted sleeve

Ken at Aero Leather

And would you agree, oversized flaps? Both in themselves, and in relation to the pocket?

Here's a pic side by side. From here the flap looks deeper, and the point deeper yet.

I know a new product needs visual differentiation to avoid being taken for Just Another A-2, and the inset buttonhole presents its own difficulties. But the hole looks to be in the right place. You could cut back the shaped edge and have it dead on.
View attachment 8465

We are on the case, see earlier in the thread, we are also going to reduce the whole pocket size a fraction

Grant

Hey Ken,
Just curious, why did Aero decide to use seal steerhide? Judging from the photo it looks clearly like lighter russet hides.

2BM2K

The SAT jacket had rotated arm seams.

frankmandrews02.jpg

B-Man2

Ken
I’m sure you knew that as soon as you introduced this new jacket you would be inundated with questions. Additionally, this is such a new discovery (Goldsmith A2), that it’s impressive that a jacket could be duplicated utilizing nothing but 87 year old photographs. My question is the same as Zoomers, why put forth all this effort and only sell 25 jackets . If the demand is there for this new release why not capitalize on it?
Cheers
B-Man2

zoomer

Well, esoteric items do steal sales from stuff you’re already setup for. You wouldn’t think there were hidden costs to selling a 1931 model A-2 instead of a 1941, but I’m no garment guy, so I don’t know everything.

A second limited edition Back By Popular Demand!!! would please everybody but the purely speculative purchaser.

Technonut2112

To me, there's the significance of only being 25 Goldsmith's made, and Aero's Limited Edition commemorating it. It gives exclusivity to the jacket, and makes it special. Just like any other limited collector item. If it were only added as a stock item, I wouldn't have been near as interested in making the plunge.

EDIT:

We are going to strictly limit these to 25 to match the original contract.

The above coming from a well known, and respected company of many years makes this jacket sale an event, not merely an announcement of a new stock item. There is little worse in the collector's world than to be lulled into a 'Special Limited Edition', doing what it takes to get a spot, and then later on down the line seeing an announcement of the Limited item not being so Limited anymore, since the company decided to cash-in and offer another run, or even worse, making it a stock item.... :mad:

Last edited:

zoomer

There is little worse in the collector's world than to be lulled into a 'Special Limited Edition', doing what it takes to get a spot, and then later on down the line seeing an announcement of the Limited item not being so Limited anymore, since the company decided to cash-in and offer another run, or even worse, making it a stock item.... :mad:
:confused:
If you have a thing worth having, be happy.
If others come to have it too, don't worry.

Now if there's a private air show for the first 25 buyers, or you get entered in a contest for a free trip to Scotland and tour of the Aero factory, that's another thing entirely.