• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1931 GOLDSMITH A-2 Limited Edition of 25

Brent

Wow, what a collar stand. Can't believe this unique piece of history came to life. Just really a neat jacket.

Regards,

stanier

Beautiful jacket, superbly made. Leather looks stunning.

Someone’s going to be very lucky and very happy.

2BM2K

What hasn't been seen for 85yrs is someone wearing a Goldsmith A2.
Any chance of getting someone to model the jacket?

Persimmon

What hasn't been seen for 85yrs is someone wearing a Goldsmith A2.
Any chance of getting someone to model the jacket?

Well unless an original appears that’s not going to happen.
Of course you might see someone wearing a Aero / Headwind produced Goldsmith replica jacket.
Which for many is almost as good ?

Roughwear

I've had a couple of requests for a buttonhole close up

View attachment 8415

The jacket looks very close to the one worn by Arnold. My only criticism is that the pocket flap's centre curve is exaggerated compared with Arnold's original.

upload_2018-8-24_9-24-18.png

Ken at Aero Leather

From Headwind's Threaed
Persimmon said:
If I recall from the War and Peace length thread on the button pocket A2 jacket, Jay had been working on his version of the Goldsmith jacket before Aero and Ken came up with their superb looking jacket

I don't want to respond to this post in Headwind's thread, I wouldn't have seen it had I not had a PM asking me about it

I stated on July 1st post #58 That Aero would be making a repro Goldsmith
Persimmon responded in post #62
Two days and 65 posts later, Headwind stated they would be making one, 3rd July post #137

I've no intenting of being dragged into a pissing contest at the behest of "a spectator" but fact is fact
I suggest it might be a good idea to have a side by side photgraphic comparison thread of both versions and leave it at that.
Looks like Headwind will have the field to themselves on this one very soon anyway, we've sold just under half of the 25 already and we are already having to turn down trade price orders from our stockists

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

The jacket looks very close to the one worn by Arnold. My only criticism is that the pocket flap's centre curve is exaggerated compared with Arnold's original.

View attachment 8446

Ever so slightly, I'd agree I think the buttonhole construction and the double stitching are partly to blame, also I made the pocket flaps (to save Christine having to work out the buttonhole construction method) and sent them down to her to topstitch, fit etc.
It's never a great idea to run a "production line" no matter how small.
It has been noted but I'm glad to have you general thumbs up, Andrew

Last edited:

Persimmon

“The jacket looks very close to the one worn by Arnold. My only criticism is that the pocket flap's centre curve is exaggerated compared with Arnold's original.”

Andrew I see what you mean -
Ken could that be amended before the 25 jackets were manufactured for greater authenticity?

4A2DA851-5DCD-44CA-9893-8F2B92635C68.jpeg

335D1FDA-FACD-43BE-9E30-58207E3C70EB.jpeg

Ken at Aero Leather

Just had this from Denny at the factory.........

"Looking at the comments regarding pockets flap shape and checking the original pics I agree we should tweak them, also appears that the horizontal top stitch along pocket flap top edge is a single stitch and not a double."

I'm not sure, what are you guys seeing? One row or two?

Technonut2112

"Looking at the comments regarding pockets flap shape and checking the original pics I agree we should tweak them, also appears that the horizontal top stitch along pocket flap top edge is a single stitch and not a double."

I ran the pic through a free colorization tool for improved contrast and depth, and it appears to be one row to my eyes:

Screenshot_2018-08-24 Colorize Black and White Photos.jpg

Technonut2112

I dislike forum-drama and controversy..... However, it should be noted that in my case, it doesn't matter who rolled-out their Goldsmith first. I'm stretching my finances much thinner than usual to add this historically-significant jacket to my collection, and when spending this kind of money, I want the many years of experience, skill, and tradition that Aero offers.

As crass as it may sound, I would not have been interested in owning this jacket if Aero, or other highly experienced maker wasn't involved. I may say today that 'I will NEVER sell this jacket', then a couple of years later, perhaps weight-gain, an emergency, or just finding another jacket I like better will lead me to move it on. In that case, I would certainly prefer the full weight and recognition of the well-known Aero name behind that sale to recoup as much of my investment as possible.

Ken at Aero Leather

Correction, I've done a deep search
First Mention
Spec. 94-3040 Jackets, Flying Type A-2
...posted below. The first A-2 contract, 31-1897, is for the P. Goldsmith Sons Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio and is for twenty five (25) jackets. The... Post by: 33-1729, Sep 2, 2017 in forum:Vintage

I dislike forum-drama and controversy..... However, it should be noted that in my case, it doesn't matter who rolled-out their Goldsmith first.

Yes, It's a shame this has arisen but I'm getting mails about it, The Donald would call it "Fake News"

First Post mentioning Goldsmith by Headwind (according to search)
Spec. 94-3040 Jackets, Flying Type A-2
...back in the early 30's. Also makes me wonder if those 25 Goldsmith & Sons are kicking around somewhere, maybe unlabeled and unrecognized. Can...
Post by: Skyhawk, Mar 12, 2018 in forum: Vintage (Not "Over a Year ago")

First post mentioning a Hawkwind Repro 3rd July two days after we announced we'd be making one.

Falcon_52

Ken - it look like one row of stitching to me also. Good catch by Denny!

Noel