• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

bseal

The high pocket / Navy versions:

A-1Horsehide-4.jpg

A-1OG-6.jpg

SteveN

bseal said:
The high pocket / Navy versions

I always wondered about high pockets vs. low pockets in the A-1. Any evidence to back up the Navy/Army theory?

Cheers,
- SteveN

bseal

Aside from the fact that Navy pilots have been spotted in high pocket A-1s, I'll let Zoomer handle this one.

zoomer

Go upthread and look at Cmdr. Dresel and Lieut. Burke and then get back to me.

I'm more interested in hard evidence that the Navy jackets were green.

SteveN

zoomer said:
Go upthread and look at Cmdr. Dresel and Lieut. Burke and then get back to me.

OK, so it's more circumstantial evidence: we've seen at two Navy pilots wearing high-pocket A-1's. I was wondering if there were any Navy specifications for high pockets, or a large number of sightings that we could take as 'proof' the Navy spec was high-pocket.

Regards,
- SteveN

zoomer

On the last board there was a pic of a whole squadron of Navy pilots with highpockets (in front of biplanes). Does anybody have that handy?

I've never seen the color pic in HBFL. But that would say something, souldn't it.

Simon Debrux

High breast pockets galore

I think this is the picture you were referring to...
A-1BW.jpg

...and what a cheerful looking bunch they were!

Simon

zoomer

Eek. They look like they've just had their budget cut.

More Highpockets - with Patrol Squadron 4 in Hawaii sometime in the '30s.
Some of these guys look like they're not even in uniform except for their leathers.
2405852554_ccb401f9a1_o.jpg

L-R: Floyd Gibbons, ???, John McCain, Danny Glover, Beeker, Ben Gazzara, ???, Adm. Douglas MacArthur, Barney Frank, ???, ???, ???

Atticus

Do you suppose those two guys (fifth from the left and first from the right) just really like to wear goggles?

AF

zoomer

Note also the nonbuttoning, baseball-type collar on these and the Navy jackets in the last photo.
Note too - the waistbands are quite deep in comparison with the Army jacket.

As to the civvy look of some of the men - could this have been some public relations flight where VP-4 put press people in jackets and gave 'em rides?
I was joshing about the names, but Floyd Gibbons really was a news commentator and WW1 correspondent, and really did have a patch on his left eye (lost at Belleau Wood).
gibbons1.jpg

Chandler

I like that Gibbons is wearin 2-toned wingtips... something tells me he's not on Uncle Sam's payroll right then.

Chandler

zoomer

johnny english said:
I like that Evisu Seal A1
Anyone know from whence they can be purchased ?
Probably some website that is written in Japanese, accepts only yen, and will not ship outside the confines of glorious Chrysanthemum Empire. Hope you take a sparely cut size 36.

asiamiles

johnny english said:
I like that Evisu Seal A1
Anyone know from whence they can be purchased ?

These were made several years ago, so can only be found on the secondary market now.

bseal

Stuart at Lost Worlds, would be your contact for an exact reproduction of that jacket.

John Lever

bseal said:
Stuart at Lost Worlds, would be your contact for an exact reproduction of that jacket.
He can make them for $1100. for LW customers only . Keep you posted on exact specs.
According to Stuart, he never made an Irvin for Evisu...
Update. LW can make these in their russet HH and ' E' shaped pockets but no longer have the buttons, only Bakelite ones.